0
   

To Die by your Side, Such a Heavenly Way to Die.

 
 
Dosed
 
Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 08:25 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,014 • Replies: 11
No top replies

 
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:17 pm
@Dosed,
When you are alive death has meaning, and when you are dead, nothing has meaning.
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:15 pm
@Fido,
Fido;162677 wrote:
When you are alive death has meaning, and when you are dead, nothing has meaning.

That is not to say when you are dead you are meaningless.

Fido did you mean 'not anything' has meaning, or as you said 'nothing has meaning'?
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:10 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;164003 wrote:
That is not to say when you are dead you are meaningless.

Fido did you mean 'not anything' has meaning, or as you said 'nothing has meaning'?

Yes, when you are dead you are meaningless, and with death there is no meaning...Meaning is life, a thing of life, and all that has meaning to people has meaning in reference to their lives...What is unlikely to affect ones life, positively or negatively willl have little if any meaning...

There was some idiot who shot up a mall some Christmasses back...He said to some one: Now I will be famous...No!; now you will be dead, and even if infamous, it will mean nothing to you because you will be dead...People project meaning beyond their lives, but it does not follow them into the grave...
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:23 pm
@Dosed,
Dosed.;162656 wrote:

I am not entirely sure what it was you were trying to do here? but what I did find was a great amount of effort and I congratulate you for yours and my own.
It was fun when it lasted.
I don't know how to encourage you this evening without coming off as condescending. (my bad)
I may not be sure what this was but I am sure you have a gift that with a bit more patience and practice you could truly dazzle.
(How was that?)
Bona Fortuna friend.
0 Replies
 
Dosed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:30 pm
@Dosed,
It's a story about people watching.
the character sees this woman and develops a story in his head about who she is through day dreaming. and he does so to the extent that he actually sort of falls for this character. then he is confronted with the reality that the person he created was just an illusion. So he has to face the realization that Alison is not Lily. Lily doesn't exist in the real world. Lily is only in his imagination.

You aren't the only one who doesn't like it. Out of all the people I've showed this to, only one person has said that they enjoyed it. Oh well. I wrote it because I experienced this event myself and I thought it would make an interesting short story. I quite like it, myself.

I can't respond to your comments without seeming condescending myself. Razz
I don't understand how you can't grasp it. It seems like a perfectly normal human activity for one to make more of what is there by utilization of the imagination. It's seems perfectly human to me for one to fall in love with what is not there. To want what one cannot have.
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 06:37 pm
@Dosed,
Dosed.;167382 wrote:
It's a story about people watching.
the character sees this woman and develops a story in his head about who she is through day dreaming. and he does so to the extent that he actually sort of falls for this character. then he is confronted with the reality that the person he created was just an illusion. So he has to face the realization that Alison is not Lily. Lily doesn't exist in the real world. Lily is only in his imagination.

You aren't the only one who doesn't like it. Out of all the people I've showed this to, only one person has said that they enjoyed it. Oh well. I wrote it because I experienced this event myself and I thought it would make an interesting short story. I quite like it, myself.

I can't respond to your comments without seeming condescending myself. Razz
I don't understand how you can't grasp it. It seems like a perfectly normal human activity for one to make more of what is there by utilization of the imagination. It's seems perfectly human to me for one to fall in love with what is not there. To want what one cannot have.

Oh I got most of that, and I never said I did not like it. But may have inadvertently hinted I did not like myself much while reading it, MAY have.
Let me say thank you again for it and thank you for your presence enough to give it. Thank you.
(all the slings and arrows we must endure, at least we are fighting a good fight, you and I, even if we are only just coming to learn our technique for battle)
Transcend
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:58 am
@sometime sun,
'I got dosed by you' - how very apt Smile

It's a very nice story which gives an insight into how people think. Now, this is quite a personal thing; I mean, he would hardly tell his friends or parents that he's just made up a whole life of a person simply by looking at her. He's creating an ideal for himself and is shocked to find that it is just that: a creation. To some degree, I think we are all guilty of it. I think there's something very endearing about that.

Excellent.
GoshisDead
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:14 am
@Transcend,
I've always bucked at this style of narration. It always feels to me like I'm being bossed around, but it does engage a reader for a while, until it becomes oppressive.
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:36 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168131 wrote:
I've always bucked at this style of narration. It always feels to me like I'm being bossed around, but it does engage a reader for a while, until it becomes oppressive.

Why not try your hand at it yourself and do some of the bossing yourself?
Is this oppression caused by the writer or the reader?
GoshisDead
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 02:45 pm
@sometime sun,
It is likely my aversion to RPG's. This of often GM style speak. My other suggestion would be to exposit less and allow the Hippie girl to be captured by her actions. Could make this a lot cleaner.
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 03:03 pm
@sometime sun,
I just read the last line and I thought of a good ending instead of used to know, you could say 'someone I usually know' or 'someone I know unusually' or 'sorry I unusually thought I knew you' 'usually used to know' 'unusually used to know'? just some ideas, thanks.

---------- Post added 05-24-2010 at 10:10 PM ----------

GoshisDead;168194 wrote:
It is likely my aversion to RPG's. This of often GM style speak. My other suggestion would be to exposit less and allow the Hippie girl to be captured by her actions. Could make this a lot cleaner.

Playing both sides of the chess board? Playing two personalities? Who is in charge the writer or the character?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

What inspired you to write...discuss - Discussion by lostnsearching
It floated there..... - Discussion by Letty
Small Voices - Discussion by Endymion
Rockets Red Glare - Discussion by edgarblythe
rate this rap - Discussion by theprofessor
Short Story: Wilkerson's Tank - Discussion by edgarblythe
The Virtual Storytellers Campfire - Discussion by cavfancier
1st Annual Able2Know Halloween Story Contest - Discussion by realjohnboy
Literary Agents (a resource for writers) - Discussion by Craven de Kere
 
  1. Forums
  2. » To Die by your Side, Such a Heavenly Way to Die.
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/22/2020 at 06:36:37