Religion, Society, and Civilization

1CellOfMany

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 02:11 pm
@1CellOfMany,
Rwa001;143907 wrote:
I think the last part of your quote is misleading. Shouldn't we take into account the fact that religion held the grand majority of all people during the times of the fore mentioned scientists? Include the social stigma involved with being an atheist, and there likely existed more closet atheists than we could be aware of, which certainly isn't a refutation of your statement, but it should be taken into consideration.

The old saying will always reign supreme: correlation does not imply causation.

Religion will always be a negative factor on humanity. A blind belief in an ultimate source of judgment independent of the person is not compatible with free human development.

I also reject the idea that religion is corrupted by society. It was created by society for the single purpose of control. It's not really corrupted so much as it just has an abhorrent origin.

Edit: I should clarify that my first point is limited to theism more than normal spirituality. My second point is limited to the dominant abrahamic traditions.

jeeprs;143915 wrote:
And that is what I would call a statement of pure prejudice. There are many people who say that nowadays - but no matter what horrors religious institutions have visited upon human society (and I don't deny it), the Judeo Christian ethos is still a bedrock of Western society and one of the foundations of civilization.

There are millions of people today being fed, clothed and educated by religious charities, and billions living according to religious codes and ethics.

Rwa001;144137 wrote:
It's not prejudice. There is a premise in all the Abrahamic religions that places God as the final judge and jury of all humans. This is incompatible with free human development, which I think is a good thing. So rather than prejudice, it's just logical for me to feel that way. You're certainly free to reject my assumption that God is incompatible with free human development, or that free human development is a good thing, but to label it as prejudice is just weak.

I agree that it is a foundation of our civilization, but is that much to its credit? Are you suggesting we might be worse without it? Do you have a reason to believe that? These are all questions we have to address.
free human development, you mean, "human development that is not restricted by illogical and/or superstitious dogma," I also agree that this is a good thing.

I perceive that each religion since at least the time of Zoroaster has begun with a revelation which, far from being "created by society for the single purpose of control," has rebuked and corrected the society and its leaders. Those same leaders, and the elements of society which they have led, have responded to the new revelation and its followers with anger, ostracism, persecution, and even execution. These efforts by society to extinguish the new religion only serve to strengthen it. More and more people embrace its teachings and practices, despite the social perils. Eventually, the new religion becomes the established religion. Corruption of the religion comes as elements of materialism overshadow the spiritual teachings and practices until the form of the religion dominates, while the spiritgood thing for human development. In a society ruled by materialism, people become more concerned with the quality of their possessions than the quality of their character, governments are more concerned with how well people follow them than with how well they lead, and war, death, fear and destruction are preferred over love, wisdom, forgiveness, and reconciliation as a means of bringing nations together. Only the All Knowing, the All Wise can correct the course of society back from materialism and on toward an ever advancing civilization.
0 Replies

sword

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@1CellOfMany,
Even though man`s words are temporary and fallible, divine revelation is not. Jesus said: "Heaven and earth shall pass away but my words will never pass away". So any other "revelation" cannot be trustworthy from a truely Christian perspective. Even the apostle Paul said that even if he himself were to teach another gospel he should be cursed.
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:51 pm
@1CellOfMany,
sword;144943 wrote:
Even though man`s words are temporary and fallible, divine revelation is not. Jesus said: "Heaven and earth shall pass away but my words will never pass away". So any other "revelation" cannot be trustworthy from a truely Christian perspective. Even the apostle Paul said that even if he himself were to teach another gospel he should be cursed.

It is true that Christ's words will not pass away. Paul knew his station, and knew that it was not yet time for God to renew religion with a new revelation. But Christ spoke of His own return, and of the coming of the Father, and of the coming of the Kingdom of God. The Jews in the time of Christ had, based on the previous prophecies, decided what to expect when the Messiah came. They made the mistake of thinking that God was going to follow the scenario that they had imagined based on their interpretation of scripture. God did not do what they expected, so the learned amongst them did not recognize the Messiah when he came in the form of Jesus Christ. Divest yourself of the interpretations of men that you might recognize Christ's return. See the website linked below:
Let Us Reason Together
sword

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:19 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;145235 wrote:
It is true that Christ's words will not pass away. Paul knew his station, and knew that it was not yet time for God to renew religion with a new revelation. But Christ spoke of His own return, and of the coming of the Father, and of the coming of the Kingdom of God. The Jews in the time of Christ had, based on the previous prophecies, decided what to expect when the Messiah came. They made the mistake of thinking that God was going to follow the scenario that they had imagined based on their interpretation of scripture. God did not do what they expected, so the learned amongst them did not recognize the Messiah when he came in the form of Jesus Christ. Divest yourself of the interpretations of men that you might recognize Christ's return. See the website linked below:
Let Us Reason Together
0 Replies

student-of-life

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:32 pm
@1CellOfMany,
If god knowing the end of things, at the time of the beginning, created me the way I am, then are not all of my faults his doing? I did not ask to be created. And even if I have free will to do as I please, did he not create me to will the things that I will? If you made a cake from scratch and the cake didn't taste the way you wanted, would you blame the cake. If you created by some means, a computer that achieved its own intelligence, and that computer didn't act the way you wanted, wouldn't it still be your doing?
sword

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:20 pm
@student-of-life,
student-of-life;145396 wrote:
If god knowing the end of things, at the time of the beginning, created me the way I am, then are not all of my faults his doing? I did not ask to be created. And even if I have free will to do as I please, did he not create me to will the things that I will? If you made a cake from scratch and the cake didn't taste the way you wanted, would you blame the cake. If you created by some means, a computer that achieved its own intelligence, and that computer didn't act the way you wanted, wouldn't it still be your doing?

The Father created us with a free will so we are not robots; therefore, we are responsible for whatever we choose to do with our lives. Robots are not responsible because they have no conscience but we are responsible because we have a free will and a conscience about what`s right and what`s wrong. So everything sow we will reap.
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:41 pm
@student-of-life,
student-of-life;145396 wrote:
"The reality of man is spiritual." This world, this life, is part of a journey that each of us is on. The journey itself is as important as the end, but the goal (unattainable though it is) is personal, spiritual perfection, or, in other words, the knowledge of God. Part of our movement toward that goal is achieved through our choosing to strengthen our spiritual (ie moral/ethical) nature in its control over our animal nature. When people act ethically toward one another, they get along better and civilization progresses. Again, for a Being (God) who is outside of the constraints of time, our "journey" or progress toward perfection is what is important, not putting us at the end of that journey by creating us in a way that you would consider "perfect". Your animal nature is constrained to follow the laws of stimulus and response (refer the school of psychology called Behaviorism). Your spiritual nature gives you free will and allows you to use your intellect to overcome Pavlovian response.

Besides preparing us for spiritual life after the death of our bodies, following the laws of God improves this life: It is by many people together having faith in God and His laws (in this case, just consider the Golden Rule: treat others as you would wish to be treated) that these laws can show their effect of improving society. If only half of the people try to obey the golden rule, and the rest of the people just take advantage of them, then there is little social improvement. But despite the difficulties, if the believers continue to follow the golden rule, there are spiritual effects that cause others to embrace the golden rule. Now, even many atheists state some version of the golden rule as an obvious necessity for the functioning of society. That is, obeying the golden rule (to the extent that one's spiritual nature has tamed his self-serving animal nature) is in one's ultimate self-interest because in a society ruled by that law people need not be afraid of one another, they help each other, and the resulting cooperation makes it possible for all members to have a better quality of life.

O SON OF SPIRIT! Noble have I created thee, yet thou hast abased thyself. Rise then unto that for which thou wast created.

- Baha'u'llah
0 Replies

sword

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:29 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:30 pm
@sword,
sword;148402 wrote:

Sword, perhaps this quote from the Baha'i Writings will clarify what I am talking about:
"Today the world of humanity is in need of international unity and conciliation. To establish these great fundamental principles a propelling power is needed. It is self-evident that the unity of the human world and the Most Great Peace cannot be accomplished through material means. They cannot be established through political power, for the political interests of nations are various and the policies of peoples are divergent and conflicting. They cannot be founded through racial or patriotic power, for these are human powers, selfish and weak. The very nature of racial differences and patriotic prejudices prevents the realization of this unity and agreement. Therefore, it is evidenced that the promotion of the oneness of the kingdom of humanity, which is the essence of the teachings of all the Manifestations of God, is impossible except through the divine power and breaths of the Holy Spirit. Other powers are too weak and are incapable of accomplishing this.
For man two wings are necessary. One wing is physical power and material civilization; the other is spiritual power and divine civilization. With one wing only, flight is impossible. Two wings are essential. Therefore, no matter how much material civilization advances, it cannot attain to perfection except through the uplift of spiritual civilization."
- `Abdu'l-Baha
sword

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:55 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;148704 wrote:
Sword, perhaps this quote from the Baha'i Writings will clarify what I am talking about:
For man two wings are necessary. One wing is physical power and material civilization; the other is spiritual power and divine civilization. With one wing only, flight is impossible. Two wings are essential. Therefore, no matter how much material civilization advances, it cannot attain to perfection except through the uplift of spiritual civilization."
- `Abdu'l-Baha
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 10:27 pm
@1CellOfMany,
I could have guessed that response was coming. You can imagine what the doctrinal position of the evangelicals is on Baha'i, can you not?
1CellOfMany

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:53 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;148726 wrote:
I could have guessed that response was coming. You can imagine what the doctrinal position of the evangelicals is on Baha'i, can you not?

Imagine? I have heard it often enough from my own brother!:perplexed:
There are many books and websites that show clearly that Baha'u'llah is the return of Christ (like Let Us Reason Together), but my brother, and most other fundamentalist Christians, don't want to let go of their expectations long enough to even read them. It seems that unless God does things the way they have decided He is supposed to do them, they will not believe that He has done them.
Krumple

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:11 am
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;148767 wrote:
Imagine? I have heard it often enough from my own brother!:perplexed:
There are many books and websites that show clearly that Baha'u'llah is the return of Christ (like Let Us Reason Together), but my brother, and most other fundamentalist Christians, don't want to let go of their expectations long enough to even read them. It seems that unless God does things the way they have decided He is supposed to do them, they will not believe that He has done them.

Every few years there is a new cult like this that springs up and talks about end times and the second coming. It is all a bunch of male cow feces. Theists want this to happen so badly they will kill millions of people to make it happen. The establishment of Israel was due to the leaders within the US government trying to make prophecy come about. They didn't care who had to suffer to make the whole thing work and even till this day, thousands die because of this silly belief.

I tell you what, I have a special experiment I want to conduct. You send me one hundred dollars to enter into this special experiment and if the second coming is happening with evidence during my life time then I will gladly pay you out one hundred million dollars.

I place a side bet that absolutely NO ONE will take me up on my offer.
1CellOfMany

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 11:07 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;148805 wrote:
Every few years there is a new cult like this that springs up and talks about end times and the second coming. It is all a bunch of male cow feces. Theists want this to happen so badly they will kill millions of people to make it happen. The establishment of Israel was due to the leaders within the US government trying to make prophecy come about. They didn't care who had to suffer to make the whole thing work and even till this day, thousands die because of this silly belief.

I tell you what, I have a special experiment I want to conduct. You send me one hundred dollars to enter into this special experiment and if the second coming is happening with evidence during my life time then I will gladly pay you out one hundred million dollars.

I place a side bet that absolutely NO ONE will take me up on my offer.

Hey, Krumple, That's a great offer, and very amusing, as well! There seems to be an expectation among some Christians that the Return of Christ will be this huge, un-deniable, mind-blowing event that will let all of the fundamentalist Christians say "I told you so!" I have also heard stories of people doing things to hasten the coming of a great war of "Armageddon" (on the plain of Megiddo, just east of Mount Carmel.) Robert Anton Wilson, in his great conspiracy novel of the 70's titled "Illuminati!" referred to this effort as "immanentizing the eschaton."

What I am saying (in my previous post) is that the Second Coming happened in a manner similar to the First, and it happened in the 1800's. If there is a great war to come, it will be after the second coming, but the time-line of the book of Revelation is confusing.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:18 pm
@1CellOfMany,
As balm to the soul, one can always peruse the excellent catalog of cross-cultural Christian studies at Shambhala publications.
0 Replies