Anti-intellectualism

Jonblaze

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125216 wrote:
Of course it is a good thing to go to a place that invigorates and challenges you. The question is whether if universities are all one-sidedly liberal they can do that. The answer is (obviously) no. I don't know about USC, but you sound as if you have not been completely brainwashed. But business students may have a built in immunity to the liberal virus.

lol

Ignorance is something that transcends politics...

What did Socrates say? Something like "The more I learn, the less I know"?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:16 pm
@Jonblaze,
Jonblaze;125220 wrote:
lol

Ignorance is something that transcends politics...

What did Socrates say? Something like "The more I learn, the less I know"?

No, I don't think that Socrates ever said anything like that. Anyway, not according to Plato. You may be thinking of when Socrates went to the Oracle at Dephi who told him that he was the wisest man in Greece because he was the only one who knew he knew nothing. Of course, that was not true, since Socrates knew a lot of things. For example, Socrates knew he lived in Athens, and that he was a man, and so on.

But do you agree that if most of the colleges, and most of the teachers in the colleges, are liberals, then it is unlikely that students in those colleges will be intellectually challenged unless they are conservatives?
Jonblaze

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:23 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125238 wrote:

But do you agree that if most of the colleges, and most of the teachers in the colleges, are liberals, then it is unlikely that students in those colleges will be intellectually challenged unless they are conservatives?

If I am a marxist, and I take classes taught only by neutral/marxist professors, my beliefs will not be challenged. Given that there is a wide range of political "leanings" for different departments, (business and economics teachers, at least in my experience tend to lean toward conservativism), I think that anyone who takes "breadth" of education seriously will be challenged to some degree during college.

That said, someone who leans towards liberalism will be less challenged by a traditional liberal arts education than someone who is, say, a fire-breathing christian. Fair?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:39 pm
@Jonblaze,
Jonblaze;125246 wrote:
If I am a marxist, and I take classes taught only by neutral/marxist professors, my beliefs will not be challenged. Given that there is a wide range of political "leanings" for different departments, (business and economics teachers, at least in my experience tend to lean toward conservativism), I think that anyone who takes "breadth" of education seriously will be challenged to some degree during college.

That said, someone who leans towards liberalism will be less challenged by a traditional liberal arts education than someone who is, say, a fire-breathing christian. Fair?

Well, how about "much less challenged", and, "not only a fire-breathing Christian" but an ordinary middle-of-the-road American, a little socially conservative? Fair?
Jonblaze

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125259 wrote:
Well, how about "much less challenged", and, "not only a fire-breathing Christian" but an ordinary middle-of-the-road American, a little socially conservative? Fair?

Absolutely.

That said...

Religious beliefs of Americans about ghosts, Satan, Heaven, Hell, etc.

"Middle of the road American" may be pretty "fire-breathing" if I may get off topic :bigsmile:
kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:00 pm
@Jonblaze,
Jonblaze;125266 wrote:
Absolutely.

That said...

Religious beliefs of Americans about ghosts, Satan, Heaven, Hell, etc.

"Middle of the road American" may be pretty "fire-breathing" if I may get off topic :bigsmile:

But that even a middle-of-the-road American would be more challenged than a left-leaning liberal says a lot, don't you think. Shouldn't the latter also be challenged to defend his ideas by a college that is not anti-intellectual? Or should the left-leaning liberal be reassured that his view is just peachy, and God's will.

I guess that is partly the explanation of how we were landed with Obama.
Jonblaze

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125271 wrote:
But that even a middle-of-the-road American would be more challenged than a left-leaning liberal says a lot, don't you think.

Sure.

kennethamy;125271 wrote:
Shouldn't the latter also be challenged to defend his ideas by a college that is not anti-intellectual? Or should the left-leaning liberal be reassured that his view is just peachy, and God's will.

I guess that is partly the explanation of how we were landed with Obama.

Elaboration?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:07 pm
@Jonblaze,
Jonblaze;125274 wrote:
Sure.

Elaboration?

Left-liberals are not challenged, and so they vote for candidates like Obama who is a left-liberal (at the very least). Not very complicated.
Jonblaze

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;125275 wrote:
Left-liberals are not challenged, and so they vote for candidates like Obama who is a left-liberal (at the very least). Not very complicated.

...Do I detect a note of sarcasm?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:23 pm
@Jonblaze,
Jonblaze;125279 wrote:
...Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Not at all. Just how it is.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:48 pm
@Three dog,
I've met many of the good little boys and girls that attend university. How delightfully uninterested they are in the books I find most exciting. Perhaps they type up a trivial paper or two on some overrated Parisian.

Reminds me of long ago having to memorize the Our Father prayer.
0 Replies

Ccalebb

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:12 pm
@Three dog,
I agree.
It may have been posted previously, but youth has been influenced by technology and we rely on it on a daily basis.
For example, acronyms have become a new language that everyone understands. "LOL" is universally recognized.
I am 16, I have a first hand experience with it.
Calculators are also ruining us, but there are also positives from them.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 02:01 pm
@pantheras,
In intelllectual terms: It's the group think against old group think.

Plane terms: usual generation gap.
0 Replies

Mooncat

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:56 pm
@kennethamy,
anti intellectualism has been on my mind recently. I look at peers who i would not regard as very educated, who say things and do things that they do not know the real meaning of, which to be frank... annoys the hell out of me.

on the other hand, i think the wider availability of education, has changed the way that society has evolved unfavorably, creating major class divisions by the lack of access to education and the abundance of education for those who can pay for it. many cannot escape this 'poverty trap'.
without my education i doubt that i could converse my thoughts on this subject, or if i would even have thoughts on this subject.

this is why i do not totally agree with education, but if i dont support education, then i would be the naive person that i strive not to be.

so i summarize, ignorance is bliss
kennethamy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 03:13 pm
@Mooncat,
Mooncat;154105 wrote:
anti intellectualism has been on my mind recently. I look at peers who i would not regard as very educated, who say things and do things that they do not know the real meaning of, which to be frank... annoys the hell out of me.

on the other hand, i think the wider availability of education, has changed the way that society has evolved unfavorably, creating major class divisions by the lack of access to education and the abundance of education for those who can pay for it. many cannot escape this 'poverty trap'.
without my education i doubt that i could converse my thoughts on this subject, or if i would even have thoughts on this subject.

this is why i do not totally agree with education, but if i dont support education, then i would be the naive person that i strive not to be.

so i summarize, ignorance is bliss

Inequality is not the fault of education. If it is a fault, it is the fault of society. But is it a fault, or an unalterable condition?
Mooncat

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;154108 wrote:
Inequality is not the fault of education. If it is a fault, it is the fault of society. But is it a fault, or an unalterable condition?

no it is not solely down to education, but it contributes to the sustainability of inequality. inequality is a necessary necessity
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 03:48 pm
@Three dog,
Three_dog;123065 wrote:
There is today, a strong anti-intellectual feeling among younger generations today. I'm wondering what people think caused this, and how long it has been going on.

Intellectuals are second hand peddlers of ideas. They don't come up with anything new, what they do all day is refining their rhetoric to make old ideas sound plausible. The standard they are measured by is not whether their ideas work in the real world, but whether they sound plausible on first glance. That's why intellectuals tend to advocate the most simplistic and easy to understand of ideas; communism, fascism, and authoritarianism in general. Which tend to be the most destructive ideas.
Morally they are on the level of used car salesmen. I postulate that the good fortune of a society is directly correlating with how much it restricts the influence of intellectuals.
0 Replies