salima

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 01:23 am
@The Ant,
what's wrong with being cunning?

depends on how you use the skill. best of all its use is as a defense, to detect the cunning of others so as not to be deceived.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 04:08 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;112265 wrote:
well perhaps a characteristic of self-master is equanimity. Equanimity is the ability to maintain emotional equilibrium in the face of difficult circumstances. Actually not only spiritual disciplines like Zen and Sufism praise this quality; it was also recognised by the Greeks as the original meaning of 'apatheia' (not like a careless apathy or indolence but remaining unmoved.)

Now let me hasten to add I am not writing from a peak of lofty philosophical detachment myself. I came home from the Gynasium the other day, and found that my dear Wife, unbeknownst to me, had agreed for a nearby tree-feller to deposit a couple of tons of woodchip in the middle of our driveway. Had I maintained my equanimity, I would have asked calmly and rationally "Why, dear Wife, have you ordered two tons of woodchips and had them put in the middle of the driveway? I know we need some for the garden, but not two tons, and not there...'

As it was, I lost my temper. Very poor show.

But at least, having studied philosophy, and practised Zen meditation, I know the theory now, and a part of me knows when the temper is being lost, and that one really ought not to.

There is nothing wrong with being angry. But, as Aristotle would caution, "at the right time, and in the right way, for the right thing".
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:40 am
@salima,
salima;112573 wrote:
what's wrong with being cunning?

depends on how you use the skill. best of all its use is as a defense, to detect the cunning of others so as not to be deceived.

This is a superb question

But i would rather seek the permission of the OP to go ahead, because the question although begs an answer, can be a philosophical, sociological and psychological issue by itself and demand a seperate thread for it.

This needs more thought. I will get back on that after sometime.

However, my query was sarcastic because according to the ongoing discussion on the SG concept, where all participants almost, a few degrees apart, agree that SG is not a good policy to adopt when faced with an unpleasant human situation. The gist of the discussion is that SG is seen as negative.

In such a case, the logical followup would be? Does cunningness help always? In the case of the fox, perhaps it may have helped his cause or his mentality, but the main query should be, whether such cunningness (if at all, it is one) helps the academic, in the given example, in the long run.?
The word 'cunning' or ~ness', by application in language has a negative connotation.
Jebediah

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 05:38 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
I would say that the Sour Grapes effect (or adaptive preference mechanism) is mostly beneficial. For example, buyers remorse. People who buy a new tv and are then satisfied with it are happier than those who keep thinking about how much better the more expensive one they didn't buy might be.

As for "can one be a master of himself/herself" I will use some sour grapes reasoning and say that this is not a worthwhile goal. You just need enough control. You can satisfice, it's the way to go.
The Ant

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
@Jebediah,
(For a little summary) You are right Jebediah, sour grapes as a mechanism is beneficial regarding the theme of happiness; since any type of happiness, or at least restness, is constructed; not acquired. Moreover, sour grapes is pervasive; it is what keeps people away from suicide and to go on their lives; in this sense it is not possible to live without it, except the doctrines of Buddhism, Zen, or Sufism which question the desires themselves and "calling a spade a spade" in which happiness is mostly unlikely. However, now there is also another reflex of the Mind, i.e. "Forbidden fruit is sweet", and these two reflexes are mutually exclusive in a particular case. My question is therefore what is the latter reflex for?
salima

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
@The Ant,
The_Ant;112811 wrote:
(For a little summary) You are right Jebediah, sour grapes as a mechanism is beneficial regarding the theme of happiness; since any type of happiness, or at least restness, is constructed; not acquired. Moreover, sour grapes is pervasive; it is what keeps people away from suicide and to go on their lives; in this sense it is not possible to live without it, except the doctrines of Buddhism, Zen, or Sufism which question the desires themselves and "calling a spade a spade" in which happiness is mostly unlikely. However, now there is also another reflex of the Mind, i.e. "Forbidden fruit is sweet", and these two reflexes are mutually exclusive in a particular case. My question is therefore what is the latter reflex for?

these things you are talking about are malfunctions of the reasoning power. by forbidden fruit is sweet, do you mean the idea that many people have that they must have what they cannot have, imagining it to be better? that relates to the saying that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, or in someone else's yard.

i think these sayings were developed to show people the error in their thinking. sour grapes philosophy is an error and can only lead to a temporary relief-call it a band aid fix, but in any given situation a thousand other attitudes would be more helpful and have a better chance to lead towards a state of happiness.

it is true that happiness is an acquired state, but there are better ways to achieve it. the same thing is true of sorrow, but even that has some value as long as it is honestly reached.
0 Replies

The Ant

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 07:04 pm
@The Ant,
"Forbidden fruit is sweet" or "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" are popular sayings, as you wrote, to show an error; however, this error, as opposed to the fable of Sour Grapes, is to show the opposite reflex of the mind (maybe it is not related with the mind this time), (in other words, their logics are antithetical): In this counter adaptive preference formation, one desires for the un-owned other, for it is only un-owned. (This results with restlessness.) My question to further discuss, not maybe as fruitful as the sour grapes, is "forbidden fruit is sweet" a reflex of the Mind or a result of the envy/jealousness of the Ego? (I would also like to ask to you Salima if there are equivalents to these sayings and sour grapes in the Indian language; since i would like to affirm myself that these are universal.)
Jebediah

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 07:12 pm
@The Ant,
I would imagine we have "the grass is always greener" because it keeps us pushing towards new places and new things, which is useful from an evolutionary viewpoint (people who were like "this valley is good enough" never went to check the next valley which was actually better.

But if the new thing is unattainable then we say it wasn't worth it so that we stay happy.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:50 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;112787 wrote:
I would say that the Sour Grapes effect (or adaptive preference mechanism) is mostly beneficial. For example, buyers remorse. People who buy a new tv and are then satisfied with it are happier than those who keep thinking about how much better the more expensive one they didn't buy might be.

As for "can one be a master of himself/herself" I will use some sour grapes reasoning and say that this is not a worthwhile goal. You just need enough control. You can satisfice, it's the way to go.

If you consider, the positions you have taken is dichotomous, if not ironical. On one hand you say it 'is mostly beneficial', and on the other hand, you use the same metaphor of SG to say and reason 'that this is not a worthwhile goal'.

Which means, if the buyer feels remorse on being unable to buy a desired TV, he or she can use the SG metaphor to keep the person whistling; and then if the same buyer is recommended to master him/herself (a psycho-spiritual exercise), then again the SG helps by making you say " ahh... anyway, its not worthwhile".....
Now, not getting a TV is fine, but not able to 'master' oneself is a graver 'remorse' that any thinking individual have; and the SG will only help to make the person more distraught and frustrated. Since these things depends on individual mentality, teh SG may give a foothold to a less ambitious carefree individual who initially set out to master him/herself, but failed in his endeavour.

Thus, we see, as a corollary, that SG idea can only help the commoners more, than to an determined, focussed meritorious individual.

Therefore SG is mostly beneficial for the TV purchaser, than to a spiritual, religious, philosophical person. I would say that SG metaphor is not worthwhile for the latter kind of individuals.

Having said this, it is not th ecase that SG does not help. It does help in mundane things like owning material things. We used to see a lot of advertismenets with a punchline 'Neighbours envy, Owners pride'. The SG may help the Neighbour save his pocket, but not help his wife at all.

Jebediah;112826 wrote:
I would imagine we have "the grass is always greener" because it keeps us pushing towards new places and new things, which is useful from an evolutionary viewpoint (people who were like "this valley is good enough" never went to check the next valley which was actually better.

But if the new thing is unattainable then we say it wasn't worth it so that we stay happy.

Happy?....... how do we define 'happiness'. It all depends on this definition.
salima

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:27 am
@The Ant,
The_Ant;112824 wrote:
"Forbidden fruit is sweet" or "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" are popular sayings, as you wrote, to show an error; however, this error, as opposed to the fable of Sour Grapes, is to show the opposite reflex of the mind (maybe it is not related with the mind this time), (in other words, their logics are antithetical): In this counter adaptive preference formation, one desires for the un-owned other, for it is only un-owned. (This results with restlessness.) My question to further discuss, not maybe as fruitful as the sour grapes, is "forbidden fruit is sweet" a reflex of the Mind or a result of the envy/jealousness of the Ego? (I would also like to ask to you Salima if there are equivalents to these sayings and sour grapes in the Indian language; since i would like to affirm myself that these are universal.)

i feel almost 100% certain that there would be similar sayings, because every one that has been related to me so far has its corollary in the english language. but i am actually first speaking in english-and of course in india there are so many different languages.

perhaps jack can help us out in hindi and any other indian language he may know?
Jebediah

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:46 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;113004 wrote:

If you consider, the positions you have taken is dichotomous, if not ironical. On one hand you say it 'is mostly beneficial', and on the other hand, you use the same metaphor of SG to say and reason 'that this is not a worthwhile goal'.

Now, not getting a TV is fine, but not able to 'master' oneself is a graver 'remorse' that any thinking individual have; and the SG will only help to make the person more distraught and frustrated.

Therefore SG is mostly beneficial for the TV purchaser, than to a spiritual, religious, philosophical person. I would say that SG metaphor is not worthwhile for the latter kind of individuals.

I consider self mastery to be unattainable and undesirable. I don't think perfectionism is worthwhile. The lofty goal may motivate, but that is tricky when it isn't attainable. 80% mastery is a better goal. I think the fuel for the drive to self mastery will dry up once a certain amount of self control is reached.

It's like the difference between trying to write a popular song and a song that everyone in the world will like.

Quote:
Happy?....... how do we define 'happiness'. It all depends on this definition.

A state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure or joy.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:45 am
@salima,
salima;113013 wrote:

perhaps jack can help us out in hindi and any other indian language he may know?

Ohh... i am not good at these things, especially hindi but let me try out of my unreliable memory

For, 'Grass is always more green on the other side'....... is almost similar to 'Ghar ka murgi, dal barabar'..... which means: The chicken of our farm, is no better than the lentins (a cereal).

For sour grapes , i can't get any. but one i heard was similar sounding,
Jo hath aaye, woh meeta, jo hath na aaye woh kadva;
which means.......... That i got hold off, is sweet, that i could not is sour'.

---------- Post added 12-20-2009 at 11:30 PM ----------

Jebediah;113031 wrote:
I consider self mastery to be unattainable and undesirable. I don't think perfectionism is worthwhile. The lofty goal may motivate, but that is tricky when it isn't attainable. 80% mastery is a better goal. I think the fuel for the drive to self mastery will dry up once a certain amount of self control is reached.

Its a purely personal opinion. Subjective. Can't discuss.

Jebediah;113031 wrote:
A state of mind or feeling characterized by contentment, love, satisfaction, pleasure or joy.

If so, how does one acheive the state of being happy by thinking/saying about the sour grapes concept? The academic will not use the metaphor, as any right minded individual will strive hard to reach the goals which one had set out to acheive.
Jebediah

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:06 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;113035 wrote:

Its a purely personal opinion. Subjective. Can't discuss.

I disagree. If people have the same goal, and you could argue that we all do at least subconsciously, then even though we disagree about what the best way to get there is it isn't purely personal opinion. That's too relativist.

Quote:
If so, how does one acheive the state of being happy by thinking/saying about the sour grapes concept? The academic will not use the metaphor, as any right minded individual will strive hard to reach the goals which one had set out to acheive.

The sour grapes describes a natural human behavior, it's not a question of using the metaphor.

At least with purchased items, being satisfied with what you bought is much more important to happiness than buying the best tv.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:20 pm
@The Ant,
Jebediah wrote:
I disagree. If people have the same goal, and you could argue that we all do at least subconsciously, then even though we disagree about what the best way to get there is it isn't purely personal opinion. That's too relativist.

Thank you! It is too relativist. This sort of subjectivism is getting awfully rampant these days.
0 Replies

The Ant

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 02:06 pm
@The Ant,
I think that this last discussion can actually lead to a fertile one and I would like to clarify my own opinions on this by your further comments: I actually asked in my second (long) reply in this post that what you think about Marx's notions of "illusion of happiness" and "real happiness". (Please refer to the first page for the explanation of its relevance to SG.) In short, Marx argues that religion is a source of consolation for the oppressed man and he argues for its abolition by the abolition of classes and for the construction of real happiness. Now, my question here is not about Marx's idea on religion, but his notions of "illusion" and "real" types of happiness. This is I think related with the discussion between Jabediah and Jackofalltrades.

Let me give my opinion on this: As I previously noted more than one time, happiness is constructed, it is not acquired. (Remember Tolstoy's point: "If you want to be happy, be!") Thus, SG is more pervasive into people's lives, including us, than we think at first glance. We construct our happiness, at least partly, with SG. Now, my doubt is on "illusion" and I asked if there are other ways to construct happiness, as Marx argues. (This is the point actually Jackofalltrades wrote on, I think, not necessarily related with Marx, but also the Zen doctrine and Sufism.) I have not a finished idea on this point, I am still thinking about it.

Let me give what Althusser, a strict follower of Marx, said: "My objective never to tell myself stories, which is the only "definition" of materialism I have ever subscribed to." Now, is happiness possible in this way? If it is, is it superior to the former one?
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:40 pm
@The Ant,
The_Ant;113048 wrote:
. Now, my question here is not about Marx's idea on religion, but his notions of "illusion" and "real" types of happiness. This is I think related with the discussion between Jabediah and Jackofalltrades.

Let me give my opinion on this: As I previously noted more than one time, happiness is constructed, it is not acquired.
Let me give what Althusser, a strict follower of Marx, said: "My objective never to tell myself stories, which is the only "definition" of materialism I have ever subscribed to." Now, is happiness possible in this way? If it is, is it superior to the former one?

Thanks for reminding about your second post. Your right when you say happiness is constructed, not acquired. One definition was given by Jebediah, for the time being lets say it is a state of mind. But what exactly do one acheive by thsi so-called 'happy state of being'. Everyone is looking out for it. It has become an obssession in the west. While, in the east, ages ago, Buddha dwelved on it extensively when he contemplated on 'dukhka' - suffering and sorrow. The vedic sages talked about 'param sukha' - ultimate joy, and the state of param ananda - state of ultimate bliss.

The point here is that 'happiness' itself is an 'illusion' of sorts. The SG does not give or lead one to happiness as is being projected here. SG infact is a spin given by the mind, triggered by the Ego, to forget this 'setback', ..... as i had mentioned before, it is fine for the moment, but momentary 'happiness' is not acheived, what the mind gives you thru SG is an 'opium' to 'forget the setback'.

But if the buyer of TV set, who in the example given, is true a relativist, than he will compare his set with the 'best' available, and fall into a foolish trap of the SG metaphor ..... which is the illusion. In India we call it the entrapments of maya. I would also stick my neck out to say that while comparing the best with what one has bought or got, and by using to reason or rationalise the possession of the said object through the SG metaphor is the mayajaal - the net for entrapment.

The fault lies in the comparisons, which is based on inequity or imbalance. This imbalance leads to cravings. The force of cravings is far greater than the force of self-restraint. Restraining or refraining oneself with the help of SG is like using a force to suppress a spring coil. If it was engineering or a mechanical device it may still work, but human mind is not a jackbox.

The desire will spring up in time, and you are back to square one. The solution to the problem lies elsewhere, SG is a false route to take.

The assertion that SG is universal or is commonly applied does not give it legitimacy as a principle, or a correct psychological ploy. IMHO, children use it more in their fantasy mock plays, or as a persuasion tool by parents on children, but if adults continue to use it, than the proletariat will ever be trapped in that 'illusion' of happiness, and rightly pointed out by Marx, in societal terms, where religion is defined as the opium of the masses.

Unfortunately, one can draw parrallel of application of the SG principle in communist regimes, just like in religion, where people are told to be satisfied with what bread you are rationed to get.
0 Replies