Is slang an evolution or devolution of Language?

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 12:47 pm
Very difficult to carry on an intelligent conversation without an agreed upon convention of terms. We may unwittingly hold to the very same essence in our positions, yet frustrate one another with our individual mannerisms of speech.

Metaphorically, how may we best cut through the red tape and get to the meat of the matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,915 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 01:04 pm
@QuinticNon,
I think there are two types of slang.

One is just lazy speech in my opinion. The other is a way to say something but in a new way. Bending word meanings or giving some words absolutely new contexts. I wouldn't really call it devolution of language but the lazy parts of speech are a little annoying to hear when they are used.
QuinticNon

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 01:08 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;106122 wrote:
...to say something... in a new way.

Does this imply something wrong with the old way?
Krumple

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 04:35 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;106123 wrote:
Does this imply something wrong with the old way?

No but language can get boring. It's a way to make conversation more interesting. Not to mention that it can also be a way to categorize groups. If you have slang others who are not aware won't understand the conversation or word usage. That is until it catches on.
QuinticNon

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 08:33 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;106155 wrote:
No but language can get boring.

Since language, as I perceive it, is nothing more than a physical method of sharing non-physical thought, does this imply that thought "can get boring" too?

Krumple;106155 wrote:
It's a way to make conversation more interesting.

It can indeed, but if and only if...

Krumple;106155 wrote:
...it catches on.

Otherwise, would it not serve better to confuse those involved with the conversation?

For as you wisely point out...

Krumple;106155 wrote:
If you have slang others who are not aware won't understand the conversation or word usage.

Is this where the evo/devo line is crossed? If slang catches on, then has language evolved? If it does not, then has language devolved?

Considering this as a mere possibility, then what, pray-tell, would be the catalyst for slang catching on or not, affectively evolving or devolving any given conversation?

Contemplation begs me to wonder if the slang has provided a more effective word picture visualization to the concept in any given conversation. Would not the essence of meaning be better shared, with better descriptions to describe them with?
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 03:57 pm
@QuinticNon,
Both, slang is the "random mutation" of language.
Those terms which are retained over time are "naturally selected".
Language evolves just like everything else. "becoming" not "being".
QuinticNon

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:21 pm
@prothero,
prothero;106442 wrote:
...slang is the "random mutation" of language.

Thanks for the reply. What you say makes much sense, and in essence I completely agree with your assessment. Yet, my research indicates that the term "random mutation" is itself on its way to extinction, favoring instead "controlled mutation". For is it not true that the meme is put forth by an intelligent source, for reasons very apparent to the one who offers it?

As well, does not its survival depend upon the acceptance of other intelligent receivers? Upon majority reception, the meme is "naturally" selected by the entire host body.

In this sense, "Language evolves just like everything else. "becoming" not "being", just as you so wisely depict.
0 Replies