Depth-foolosophy

Quinn phil

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:14 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113490 wrote:
Depth-foolosophy? It's what I call a simultaneous obsession with linguistic philosophy, depth psychology, religious myth, and the philosophic tradition.

Thought is made of words. Therefore linguistic philosophy. Depth psychology is a word-picture of the mind. The mind includes what not? Psychology descended from philosophy you say? The word perhaps but not the science. Psychology is theology is philosophy is poetry.

Man lives in a unified body of word. Distinctions are useful but deceptive. I'm voting Holism.

We are able to remember meanings of words through methods of pictures and experiences. When a childs father tells the boy to go pick all the red roses in the garden, the child must remember what red is. If he doesn't know, someone must show him. However, for words such as "The", "or", "What", "Therefore", and "Please", we learn it some other way. We base our knowledge and communication around these words that we've engraved into our minds in younger ages. Language has suddenly become more interesting then I'd thought it to be in the 4th grade. What amazes me is how are minds adapt so easily, to slang, mind fcuk, and statement condensing.

I could be typing to you in scrambled words, and you'd still understand me based upon the point that I'm discussing right now. It'z pryety koel rgiht? that was spelled like ****, but you still know what I'm getting across. It's like our minds can unscramble words in less then a milisecond. Almost as if we're reading correct English! As a matter of fact, i know some people that read "Text Speak", better then they are able to read correct grammar and spelling! Lmao. Ain't it great?

It's also intriguing on how we shorten statements, yet still understand eachother. Say builder A is working with builder B. Builder B has next to him, some pipes, some bricks, and some nails. All builder A has to do is say, "Brick!" and Builder B will hand Builder A a brick. Builder A doesn't have to say, "Hand me a brick," which implies everything that it means. Where as the word "Brick" would only apply to a type of material. This leads me to think that maybe usage and tone of word is more important than definition.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:23 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113490 wrote:

Thought is made of words.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I wonder if thoughts are actually made of words, or if thoughts can sometimes be narrated by words. I think thoughts are more likely to be in pictures or other sensations rather than words which make up speech. For example, if I think about beer, I picture the good old tasty beverage that many enjoy, but then words help narrate the specifics of the beer I am thinking about.

Even abstract thoughts seem to be made of pictures rather than words. Sure the narration comes out in words, but the actual thought seems to be pictures. It might be different for others, but that is the way that my mind works. It pictures things, and then my inner voice helps fleshing out some of the details. Thus, thought--at least for me--is first pictured and then latter the gaps are filled in by words.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 02:50 am
@Reconstructo,
It all depends on how one uses the word "thought." Thinkers are experienced socially as word-givers. So for me, "thought" is associated with words. It's doesn't matter much to me which word we use for meaningful phrases. I'm happy to switch. For me, what's of interest is how these meaningful phrases function, and how our more abstract words are created/gain their meanings in the first place. I suggest that we usually use old words in new ways. How was the concept of causality created? it seems that the word for beginning was used in a new way. We talk about ourselves and the world and then we talk about this talk. It seems like an analogical nexus to me.

---------- Post added 12-24-2009 at 03:56 AM ----------

Quinn;113960 wrote:
This leads me to think that maybe usage and tone of word is more important than definition.

It does seem like usage and tone are as important, depending on the situation. I think we have to zoom out, look at the big picture, how it all fits together, words actions and emotions.

What funny is that the only way we can think about language is to use it. We are language describing itself, the symbolization of symbolization, lies about lies, the truth about truth.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:38 am
@Reconstructo,
Thoughts are made of time. They are what remains of reality once it has moved on.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:47 am
@Reconstructo,
That's not far from Kojeve. Man is the Concept. The Concept is Time. Man is Time.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:05 am
@Reconstructo,
but you can draw a distinction between 'awareness' which is as it were the fulcrum of past and future, and 'thought', in which all of the associated concepts (and feelings, and attachments, and everything else) find their basis. Awareness itself is always right at the razor's edge, whereas thought by its nature takes time, and is of the nature of time. (But don't try and think about awareness......)
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:08 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;113980 wrote:
(But don't try and think about awareness......)

I think I know what you mean. It's amusing that we humans can use words to point away from words. As soon as it enters the realm of logos, it's a mummy. It's a skeleton. It's ash. (All I have is metaphor.)
0 Replies