Sentences are Viruses

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 04:05 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;125683 wrote:
America, at its best, has been the Enlightenment Incarnate.

America-bashing is penis envy.

What a ridiculous remark. Nobody seeks impotence willingly. I merely question the financial status, your ideals of Enlightment and the US Government. I am not bashing, you yourself draw the conclusion USA "has been the Enlightment Incarnate".
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:59 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;125693 wrote:
What a ridiculous remark. Nobody seeks impotence willingly. I merely question the financial status, your ideals of Enlightment and the US Government. I am not bashing, you yourself draw the conclusion USA "has been the Enlightment Incarnate".

It's not complicated. America is the wealthiest and most powerful nation the Earth has yet seen. The little kids hate the big kid, invent sentences to balm their sense of inferiority.

You are probably a likable person, but I doubt we will be able now to have the kind of conversation I come here for. Welcome to my ignore list.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:58 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;125683 wrote:
America, at its best, has been the Enlightenment Incarnate.

America-bashing is penis envy.

Not penis envy; but syphilaphobia... Any one with a brain can see how our disease of cupidity has robbed the people of their rights and their country, and they do want as we want without wanting the consequential disease, which is obvious to all not so affected...

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 07:08 AM ----------

Reconstructo;125590 wrote:
Man invents new technology, which he then has to name. This technology changes his environment, also requiring new names. As names are often metaphorical, mere practical activity requires its sprinkling of poetry.

But modern man is often enough a leisure animal who prides himself on poetic novelty, on being ahead of the curve. Sure, plenty of today's intellectual fads are probably 90% post-consumer recycled, but here and there a new metaphor coughs up amniotic fluid and breathes. The little bugger is going to make it. He's a cute little virus. He's going to be quoted.

Quotation is how sentence-viruses reproduce. They cannot "live" without a host. Word-virus is the fossil of living speech. The "letter kills" because the letter is undead. Did Socrates know this, and therefore abstain from writing books?

Words are only real for living breathing passionate human beings, who have emotional responses to these words. The mere pronunciation of words requires gesture and generates noise-music. One cannot pronounce an "S" without hissing like a snake, tongue against teeth. An S is made of white-noise.

Ideograms seem to stress the visual and phonetic alphabets the sonic. I would guess this is not the reason phonetic alphabets caught on. I suspect phonetic alphabets are more convenient.

Man invents nothing new, but we change the forms of all we have...As I am certain I have said some where, that the mechanical clock has many of the terms of water clocks which are far older... We use old terms for new relationships rather than inventing new words...An example of this is using colors or flavors to describe nuclear particles...We addapt a certain understood relationship to a new physical form, and in this way reverence the past while embracing the future...
I would suggest that sonograms are able to mean because their sounds are meaningless, and do not detract from the meaning one wishes to convey... We do have sound words, onomonopia, but they are rather few, in my estimation..
kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:26 am
@Fido,
Fido;126071 wrote:

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 07:08 AM ----------

Man invents nothing new, but we change the forms of all we have....

Cyclotrons? Computers? Van Gogh's "Sunflowers"? Sentences no one has ever produced before?
Fido

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:31 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126129 wrote:
Cyclotrons? Computers? Van Gogh's "Sunflowers"? Sentences no one has ever produced before?

Yes, there is nothing new in a cyclotron, but only the application of old solutions to new problems... Computers only count to one, and in that sense are hardly an improvement on our ten digits..As a concept, there is only one number, and all numbers following are in relation to that number, so the computer can be right...Consider that neither sunflowers, nor painting, nor the visual phenomenon associated with syphilus were new to humanity before Van Gogh.... Now, I like Van Gogh, and I have seen many of his works in the original, and there is no doubt that there is something unique to them, and to the man, but the best of us take up the old and refasion it, and very few of us add anything to what we recieve, and were it possible to measure that anything, it would be miniscule...
Reconstructo

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:34 am
@Fido,
Sure, originality is scarce, and this scarcity is part of its value. We know Van Gogh's name not so much for what he painted but for how he painted it.

Had Plato's viral sentences already been on the market, we should probably have never heard of Plato. It's the same with Aristotle and Saint Paul. History is hard to conceive of without novelty. How often is history presented as the progress of man, this "progress" being an accumulation and dissemination of useful and pleasant novelty?

Inventions are sometimes mechanical rather lingual. Sometimes it's a cotton gin and not the New Science of Vico. Sometimes it's the way to find the slope of a slope or the shortest distance between two points on a sphere.

We've come a long long way by inventing things, and some of our most important inventions have been sentences. That's my opinion anyway.
Fido

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 06:30 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;126325 wrote:
Sure, originality is scarce, and this scarcity is part of its value. We know Van Gogh's name not so much for what he painted but for how he painted it.

Had Plato's viral sentences already been on the market, we should probably have never heard of Plato. It's the same with Aristotle and Saint Paul. History is hard to conceive of without novelty. How often is history presented as the progress of man, this "progress" being an accumulation and dissemination of useful and pleasant novelty?

Inventions are sometimes mechanical rather lingual. Sometimes it's a cotton gin and not the New Science of Vico. Sometimes it's the way to find the slope of a slope or the shortest distance between two points on a sphere.

We've come a long long way by inventing things, and some of our most important inventions have been sentences. That's my opinion anyway.

As I have said, I have seen many of Van Goghs, and I can tell you method was his madness...He chose common subjects, and while I would say subject is art, he could hardly have expressed his technique on uncommon subjects with the same effect...His work has more in common with sculpture...There is nothing flat about it...The paint is thick, and the picture carved into it with the handle of the brush, and the effect in a room is astounding, because where ever you stand the painting gives itself to you because it is full of concave surfaces which reflect light in all directions... Clearly subject was a concern of his... He sketched the dissipated victims of a madhouse capitalism, but that is not what he is known for...
Reconstructo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:18 am
@Fido,
Fido;126375 wrote:
As I have said, I have seen many of Van Goghs, and I can tell you method was his madness...He chose common subjects, and while I would say subject is art, he could hardly have expressed his technique on uncommon subjects with the same effect...His work has more in common with sculpture...There is nothing flat about it...The paint is thick, and the picture carved into it with the handle of the brush, and the effect in a room is astounding, because where ever you stand the painting gives itself to you because it is full of concave surfaces which reflect light in all directions... Clearly subject was a concern of his... He sketched the dissipated victims of a madhouse capitalism, but that is not what he is known for...

I would like to stay closer to the heart of the thread, which is the nature of text, which I see as a sort of fossilized speech. It's undead because it depends upon the reader for its life. Text is like sculpture. It's the score/spore of "music" that depends on readers for its rebirth and reproduction.
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 11:13 pm
@Reconstructo,
How many of us would disagree that our intellectual positions are a network of sentences? Why these sentences, different in each particular case, and not others? Utility, sure. But how much of it is aesthetic, mythological?

Yes, like memes, except memes is a vaguer expression. To focus on one medium we'll stick to "sentences." All words have a sound content, others also have unavoidable associations. Maybe math is our most trans-ethnic language. Equations are viruses too.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:03 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;126652 wrote:
I would like to stay closer to the heart of the thread, which is the nature of text, which I see as a sort of fossilized speech. It's undead because it depends upon the reader for its life. Text is like sculpture. It's the score/spore of "music" that depends on readers for its rebirth and reproduction.

Is there something wrong with my head or am I starting to get what you are getting at???Who knows if those pesty ideas don't have a life of their own, ganging up on us, teaching us weird sense...
Reconstructo

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:43 am
@Fido,
Fido;131741 wrote:
Is there something wrong with my head or am I starting to get what you are getting at???Who knows if those pesty ideas don't have a life of their own, ganging up on us, teaching us weird sense...

I think they are undead! Speech is musical, alive, passionate as well as thoughtful. But a sentence lies dead on the page. That is until the host assimilates it. A living human being reads it, feels it, integrates it into the network of other viral sentences. DNA as a metaphor for the intellect. A chain of living thought-passions, as they are part of LIFE. But on the page they are only sentences. Neither living nor safely dead.
0 Replies