Discussion of old age between Socrates and Cephalus

geofra

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:13 pm
Hello All;

I'm a novice at philosophical discussion let alone philosophy; so, I apologize, up front, if I do things wrong. I have just begun to read The Republic (translation by A.D. Lindsay). One delightful discussion about old age between Socrates and Cephalus starting in Book 1, par. 329 inspired me to pose these questions:

Do you sense, as you grow older, a growing liberation from the drives and passions of your youth?

For those who are still young, do you feel you are being controlled by your passions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,499 • Replies: 4
No top replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:47 pm
@geofra,
geofra;103510 wrote:
Hello All;

I'm a novice at philosophical discussion let alone philosophy; so, I apologize, up front, if I do things wrong. I have just begun to read The Republic (translation by A.D. Lindsay). One delightful discussion about old age between Socrates and Cephalus starting in Book 1, par. 329 inspired me to pose these questions:

Do you sense, as you grow older, a growing liberation from the drives and passions of your youth?

For those who are still young, do you feel you are being controlled by your passions?

'Si la jeunesse savait, si la vieillesse pouvait' (If youth but knew (and) if age but could").
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:12 pm
@geofra,
geofra;103510 wrote:
Hello All;

when i was young i thought getting old was worth than death, and it meant having to give up so many things until ultimately death would be welcome.

instead i rather find, as in your question, that indeed old age is a liberator moreso than a limitation. regardless of the attitude in society towards it, old age has not only a freedom because of the weaker stimulus of bodily passions but many more, as in the case of these that i notice:
-less peer pressure
-less intensity in any anxiety over life's daily problems
-less intolerance of any frustrations or adversities and inconveniences

furthermore, the loss in physical ability is overridden by the increase of enjoyment in lesser accomplishments. the loss of mental capacity is overridden by the depth of insight and experience. and the wholehearted commitment to the passions of youth are regenerated with the ability to feel powerful emotions yet set them aside in order to think clearly and act efficiently.

i could go on much further but i think that answers your question.
geofra

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:24 pm
@salima,
salima;103554 wrote:
when i was young i thought getting old was worth than death, and it meant having to give up so many things until ultimately death would be welcome.

instead i rather find, as in your question, that indeed old age is a liberator moreso than a limitation. regardless of the attitude in society towards it, old age has not only a freedom because of the weaker stimulus of bodily passions but many more, as in the case of these that i notice:
-less peer pressure
-less intensity in any anxiety over life's daily problems
-less intolerance of any frustrations or adversities and inconveniences

furthermore, the loss in physical ability is overridden by the increase of enjoyment in lesser accomplishments. the loss of mental capacity is overridden by the depth of insight and experience. and the wholehearted commitment to the passions of youth are regenerated with the ability to feel powerful emotions yet set them aside in order to think clearly and act efficiently.

i could go on much further but i think that answers your question.

Thank you, salima.
Do you find yourself sometimes yearning for that youthful passion?
salima

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 12:22 am
@geofra,
geofra;103559 wrote:
Thank you, salima.
Do you find yourself sometimes yearning for that youthful passion?

not at all. old people also can be passionate. i am passionately devoted to exploring the subject of ethics and morality now and the process of self actualization. i am passionate about trying to help people who have been victimized, such as those living in bhopal near the old union carbide factory.

also, contrary to popular belief, old people can and do still fall in love with all of the romance and a lot less of the headaches and angst suffered in youth! there is more honesty-old people do not care to waste time with headgames, and that removes a lot of the difficulties in relationships.

i noticed some decades ago that the attitude is that old people are bitter and complain a lot, all sorts of negative emotions are attached to them, but of all the old people i ever met who were in that condition, i sincerely believe they were the same when they were young. in general any people i have known since youth to old age have only improved in every way, in my opinion and their own, as to their level of satisfaction with lilfe. the old person who sits around whining about this and that ailment has moswt likely been a hypochondriac all his life.
0 Replies