Is wealth finite?

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:51 pm
Is wealth created, or redistributed? Can it be proven? I'm sure it can at least be argued....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,116 • Replies: 2
No top replies

prothero

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 12:08 am
@Camerama,
Camerama;124538 wrote:
Is wealth created, or redistributed? Can it be proven? I'm sure it can at least be argued....
Well the economists answer to that is that wealth is not a zero sum game, that the pie can keep getter larger, so one countries economic prosperity does not mean someone else is losing. There is however only so much oil, so much iron and limited amounts of some other critical natural resources. The optimist will answer science and technology will find alternative materials and methods. Theorectically wealth is not finite but practically there are limits on the rate of growth and the rate at which new technolgies can be brought online.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 08:37 am
@Camerama,
The answer to the question depends upon the number of ways one wishes to distinguish between various kinds of "wealth;" this term by itself seems to generic and vague to be a possible object of our thinking.
0 Replies