Logical explanation: why a god must exist

talk72000

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 03:11 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
Ooops, sorry. I had tried to avoid the philosophy group as it leads to endless discussion. I can only add that the existence of God can neither be proved nor disproved. But mathematicvally it can be shown the improbablility of God's existence.

1/0 = infinity means the probability of something coming out of nothing is improbable. Pulling a rabbit out of a hat is a magician's trick. god appearing out of nowhere is improbable.

0/0 is undefined. Julie Andrews sang 'Nothing comes from nothing' is true.
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 03:26 pm
@talk72000,
I'm beginning to notice what you mean by that about the philosophy group. Gotta really be interested to hang in sometimes.
But the existence of God cannot be empirically proven. Empirical Science is only 1/2 of science though. There is another field known as Forensic Science that looks at past events. We cannot empirically recreate the big bang, nor can we empirically build a God and test it.

We can however, look at the principals of science, such as the General Theory of Relativity and the Law of Causality(which if you disprove, kudos because you just disproved science's ability to prove anything) and see that the GTR requires a bang and the Law of Causality requires a cause for it. That cause is by definition supernatural(because it is outside of the natural world).
If the GTR is ever overturned or the Law of Causality revoked as hog-wash(though I again tell you it is the basis of science, which is a search for causes at its heart), then my theory will not stand. But until such time as they are disproved, then my theory stands, and therefore we can logically accept that there is a supernatural force(be it the force, God, or the IPU).
Ding an Sich

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:41 pm
@Johnny Fresh,
Johnny Fresh wrote:

If you believe in logic than you believe in God:

Let Bn stand for "n believes" with L and G being the statements "Logic exists" and "God exists", and let the symbol -> stand for "if... then...", then:

BnL -> BnG

The domain for n is mankind

Now let's take an instance of n, say the constant e which stands for "Ellis" (That's me). Ellis believes that logic does indeed exist, but not that God exists. Given this, we assign an interpretation of T to "BnL" and F to "BnG". Under this interpretation, when the antecedent is true and the consequent is false, the statement is false. Therefore, the statement you asserted is false.

Johnny Fresh wrote:

You agree that nothing cannot create something, right?
everything must come from something.

Johnny Fresh wrote:

now you'll agree that time is a finite thing (ex. if i say, count to a infinity, will you ever reach infinity? No.)

It does not follow that because I cannot count to infinity that time is finite. And you cannot count to infinity: IT IS NOT A NUMBER.

Johnny Fresh wrote:

Thus meaning that something immaterial (without matter) and omnipresent (without time) Must have created everything.

As for the then how was god created question

God does not need to be created because he has been around forever, you may say how is this possible. but God is without time. He lives in the past present and future and to him time is a mere physical boundary that us humans live in.

Why not instead of God we simply have a timeless point? That seems to solve the problem. In fact it seems probabilistically better than a personal God.

0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:42 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
HeroicOvenmitt wrote:

I'm beginning to notice what you mean by that about the philosophy group. Gotta really be interested to hang in sometimes.
But the existence of God cannot be empirically proven. Empirical Science is only 1/2 of science though. There is another field known as Forensic Science that looks at past events. We cannot empirically recreate the big bang, nor can we empirically build a God and test it.

We can however, look at the principals of science, such as the General Theory of Relativity and the Law of Causality(which if you disprove, kudos because you just disproved science's ability to prove anything) and see that the GTR requires a bang and the Law of Causality requires a cause for it. That cause is by definition supernatural(because it is outside of the natural world).
If the GTR is ever overturned or the Law of Causality revoked as hog-wash(though I again tell you it is the basis of science, which is a search for causes at its heart), then my theory will not stand. But until such time as they are disproved, then my theory stands, and therefore we can logically accept that there is a supernatural force(be it the force, God, or the IPU).

What in the world is the "Law of Causality"?
north

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 07:24 pm

Logical explanation: why a god must exist

because thats what the simple people want
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 12:32 am
@Ding an Sich,
It must be that kind of Law which results in a Ticket if one does n´t obey...
...but one might just argue that information cannot be contained without leaving behind a correlative footprint, after all that´s precisely why one calls it information, it informs...dark matter actually seams to be a good example even if we cannot observe it directly so far...but who knows, in the overwhelming infinity of Multiverse, maybe our little Universe is just "statistically entangled coherence"...after all an holistic governing Pattern among all Patterns, which in their wholeness were not created, were not caused at all, were they...
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:01 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding, I believe I have covered this, but I think you just made your debut on this thread, so I will be happy to answer. The Law of Causality is the foundation of science. It states that every effect has a cause. This is a natural law that is self-evident in the universe.
There have been a few who have been trying to debate the Law of Causality, but to do so, you debate the validity of ALL science and for that matter, rational thought. Which is composed of thoughts(causes) which lead to conclusions(effects).
I hope that is an adequate answer.
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:03 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil, if you go back through this thread I believe you will find our discussion of the multiverse and the lack of evidence for it. Also the fact that an infinite universe is impossible.
Please re-read that part of the thread before responding to this.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:50 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
HeroicOvenmitt wrote:

Ding, I believe I have covered this, but I think you just made your debut on this thread, so I will be happy to answer. The Law of Causality is the foundation of science. It states that every effect has a cause. This is a natural law that is self-evident in the universe.
There have been a few who have been trying to debate the Law of Causality, but to do so, you debate the validity of ALL science and for that matter, rational thought. Which is composed of thoughts(causes) which lead to conclusions(effects).
I hope that is an adequate answer.

There's so much wrong with your statements that it's hard to know where to begin.

First, the "Law of Causality" doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry yet you claim it's the foundation of science. That seems unlikely. Where have you read this?

Second, the foundation of science is the scientific method, empiricism and inductive reasoning which says nothing at all about causality. In fact, Hume argues that causality is unempirical and therefore unscientific. We can't observe causes. We can only observe correlations. Read Hume.

You need to study the philosophy of science more because you have a very bizarre view which is disagreed with by many philosophers. What books have you read so far?

P.S. You never showed up to the religion debate thread @ http://able2know.org/topic/166281-1
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:12 pm
@Night Ripper,
Firstly, my apologies about failing to post on the religion thread, I was unaware it had been started. Thanks for the link and I will be sure to take a look at it.

While Wikipedia is a good place to check for such things, the failure to find it is not at all grounds to exclude it.
Yes, the foundation of science is the scientific method. I agree.
The scientific method involves applying various causes to observe their effects.
A simple example. One that many elementary school students have done.
You take two seeds and plant them both in pots. You give them both equal water and soil conditions(as equal as possible anyway).
Pot A you place in direct sunlight.
Pot B you place in a dark closet.
You give them 2 weeks and observe what condition they are in.
Pot A has grown into a healthy little sprout.
Pot B, while it may have grown is yellow and as far as plants go, sickly looking.

You conclude:
The sunlight caused the plant to grow in a more healthy way(effect).

The basis of the scientific method, and therefore science, is the Law of Causality, regardless of its relative obscurity as a term.
As for David Hume's assertions, I am well acquainted with them.
He offers two conditions on which a proposition can be considered meaningful.
A proposition must meet one of these, not both, in order to be considered meaningful.
1) The truth claim is abstract reasoning such as a mathematical equation or a definition (e.g., "2+2=4" or "all triangles have 3 sides"); or
2) The truth claim can be verified empirically through one or more of the five senses.

These are known today by many as the Principle of Empirical Verifiability.
Unfortunately, his argument is self-defeating.

"The principle of empirical verifiability states that there are only two kinds of meaningful propositions: 1) those that are true by definition and 2) those that are empirically verifiable. Since the prinicple of empirical verifiability is neither true by definition nor empirically verifiable, it cannot be meaningful."

I am quoting Norman Geisler on this, a reputable theologian. However, who said it is quite irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that this clearly shows that by its own logic, the principle of empirical verifiability is not meaningful.
I have studied the philosophy of good science as well as bad science and have come to the conclusions that I have because of that study. While it is, admittedly, quite foreign to many, that does not make it less logical.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:28 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
HeroicOvenmitt wrote:

Firstly, my apologies about failing to post on the religion thread, I was unaware it had been started. Thanks for the link and I will be sure to take a look at it.

While Wikipedia is a good place to check for such things, the failure to find it is not at all grounds to exclude it.
Yes, the foundation of science is the scientific method. I agree.
The scientific method involves applying various causes to observe their effects.
A simple example. One that many elementary school students have done.
You take two seeds and plant them both in pots. You give them both equal water and soil conditions(as equal as possible anyway).
Pot A you place in direct sunlight.
Pot B you place in a dark closet.
You give them 2 weeks and observe what condition they are in.
Pot A has grown into a healthy little sprout.
Pot B, while it may have grown is yellow and as far as plants go, sickly looking.

You conclude:
The sunlight caused the plant to grow in a more healthy way(effect).

The basis of the scientific method, and therefore science, is the Law of Causality, regardless of its relative obscurity as a term.

The sunlight correlates with the plant growing in a more healthy way. That's observable. I don't observe any causes.

HeroicOvenmitt wrote:

As for David Hume's assertions, I am well acquainted with them.
He offers two conditions on which a proposition can be considered meaningful.
A proposition must meet one of these, not both, in order to be considered meaningful.
1) The truth claim is abstract reasoning such as a mathematical equation or a definition (e.g., "2+2=4" or "all triangles have 3 sides"); or
2) The truth claim can be verified empirically through one or more of the five senses.

These are known today by many as the Principle of Empirical Verifiability.
Unfortunately, his argument is self-defeating.

"The principle of empirical verifiability states that there are only two kinds of meaningful propositions: 1) those that are true by definition and 2) those that are empirically verifiable. Since the prinicple of empirical verifiability is neither true by definition nor empirically verifiable, it cannot be meaningful."

I am quoting Norman Geisler on this, a reputable theologian. However, who said it is quite irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that this clearly shows that by its own logic, the principle of empirical verifiability is not meaningful.
I have studied the philosophy of good science as well as bad science and have come to the conclusions that I have because of that study. While it is, admittedly, quite foreign to many, that does not make it less logical.

You're making a mistake. I'm not talking about whether or not a proposition is meaningful. I'm talking about whether or not it's scientific. So your quote is irrelevant.

Do you think that it's scientific to believe in something that can't be observed directly or indirectly? I don't. If you agree then, since causes cannot be observed, they aren't scientific.
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:39 pm
@Night Ripper,
You're just rewording what I said....
"The sunlight correlates with the plant growing in a more healthy way. That's observable. I don't observe any causes."
That correlation is a cause-effect. Would the plant have grown in a more healthy way(effect) if the sun had not shone on it(cause)?

"You're making a mistake. I'm not talking about whether or not a proposition is meaningful. I'm talking about whether or not it's scientific. So your quote is irrelevant.

Do you think that it's scientific to believe in something that can't be observed directly or indirectly? I don't. If you agree then, since causes cannot be observed, they aren't scientific."

Meaningful, the way it is used in this context, implies scientific. If it is not meaningful, it is meaningless. Anyway, the point is that it is a self-defeating argument, it doesn't meet either of its own premises.

As for believing in something that can't be observed, that is where faith comes in. Everyone has faith. I'll use the example I used in the other thread. We have faith that everyone dies. It is not directly observable or indirectly observable to say that EVERYONE dies, because we cannot go back in time, nor monitor the ~6 billion people in the world to make sure that they're all dying. Therefore, we have faith that they have or will die.
Also, causes CAN be observed, how can you even say that they couldn't? I observed that what caused you to respond(effect) was my previous statement(cause). There are countless examples of observable cause/effect relationships(why does nobody understand this?). Gravity(cause) holds us to earth(effect) unless we overcome it's power using, say a rocket to launch us into space by applying more force in a different direction than Gravity. That rocket's thrust CAUSES the rocket to move in a different direction, the effect.

It is quite frankly ignorant to say that causes cannot be observed.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
HeroicOvenmitt wrote:
Would the plant have grown in a more healthy way(effect) if the sun had not shone on it(cause)?

Since we can't rewind the universe and test that out, we don't know.

HeroicOvenmitt wrote:
Meaningful, the way it is used in this context, implies scientific. If it is not meaningful, it is meaningless. Anyway, the point is that it is a self-defeating argument, it doesn't meet either of its own premises.

Huh? Things can be meaningful but not scientific. It means something to say that the universe was created 5 minutes ago but it's not scientific.

HeroicOvenmitt wrote:
As for believing in something that can't be observed, that is where faith comes in.

We can observe that people die though. Just because we can't observe everyone die doesn't mean it's unscientific. That's exactly what the point of science is. To take a few specific examples (some people die) and then infer a general rule (everyone dies).

There's no specific example of even a single cause though.

HeroicOvenmitt wrote:
It is quite frankly ignorant to say that causes cannot be observed.

Please be respectful. There's no need for that kind of attitude and it adds nothing to the discussion. If you don't have the patience for philosophical discourse without hurling insults then let's not bother.
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:03 pm
@Night Ripper,
"Since we can't rewind the universe and test that out, we don't know."

No we can't, I suppose. Your argument is basically that the sunlit plant growing more healthy was just a fluke. But we can conduct ANOTHER experiment to figure it out, where neither of the plants are in the sunlight. If one of them still grows to be healthy in the same way as Pot A from before, sunlight was not the cause.

"Huh? Things can be meaningful but not scientific. It means something to say that the universe was created 5 minutes ago but it's not scientific."

The point is that Hume's argument is self-defeating and therefore irrelevant. I hope that much is obvious.

"We can observe that people die though. Just because we can't observe everyone die doesn't mean it's unscientific. That's exactly what the point of science is. To take a few specific examples (some people die) and then infer a general rule (everyone dies).

There's no specific example of even a single cause though."

No, there's lots of causes. Death is an effect that can be brought about by many causes. I never said that it was unscientific to say that all people die. You are looking at the evidence available and making a rational, logical conclusion. That is what I am doing when I make the Cosmological argument that the universe must have been created. I agree that it is scientific to say all people die. However, it still takes faith. As does my belief in the Law of Causality.

As for my statement that it is ignorant, I considered that this may be offensive, but it is in this case, based on the discussion, that you are ignoring the evidence that we can observe causes. You are ignoring the evidence and are therefore being ignorant. I do not mean for that to be offensive, nor do I mean to insult your character. But the action if ignoring the evidence is an ignorant decision.

Also, sorry for posting this reply in chunks. I accidentally submitted it too soon.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:27 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
HeroicOvenmitt wrote:
No we can't, I suppose. Your argument is basically that the sunlit plant growing more healthy was just a fluke. But we can conduct ANOTHER experiment to figure it out, where neither of the plants are in the sunlight. If one of them still grows to be healthy in the same way as Pot A from before, sunlight was not the cause.

Even if neither grows healthy it could still be fluke.

HeroicOvenmitt wrote:
The point is that Hume's argument is self-defeating and therefore irrelevant. I hope that much is obvious.

Even assuming that it's self-defeating it applies only for meaningfulness, not whether or not a proposition is scientific.

HeroicOvenmitt wrote:
No, there's lots of causes.

Correlations.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4919/piratesarecooluw5.jpg
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:31 pm
@Night Ripper,
Very well, repeat the experiment until you are satisfied it is not a fluke. This is good science, repeating the tests.

If an argument cannot meet its own criteria for truth, it proves itself false.
The point of his logic is that if it can't meet one of the 2 criteria, it cannot be true.
Since his logic does not meet either of the criteria, it cannot be true. By its own standards, it is false.

You are arguing semantics when you say 'correlations' instead of causes.
Using the same sun and flower experiment, how would you describe the correlation between the sun and the plant? I personally would describe it as the sun causing the plant to grow.

And as for the temperature/pirate graph, it leaves out certain factors, such as time.
Somalia is in a great deal of political and social turmoil. Piracy is actually looked on as a good thing by many Somalians because it brings in hundreds of thousands to millions more dollars than the alternative, which in many cases is essentially limited to hiding from the combat going on in the streets or joining in it. Either way, you don't stand the chance of making nearly as much money. The pirates also have established a basic economy in which people can invest in their raids and earn a return for it.

I would tell you that the increase in piracy - which is largely around Somalia - is due to the fact that as time goes on, the pirates are able to recruit more, raid more, and earn more, which leads to more recruits. The increase in global average temperature is the effect of pollution over time(which is the cause) and the piracy is the effect of its social and financial value to many of the pirates.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:35 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
HeroicOvenmitt wrote:

Very well, repeat the experiment until you are satisfied it is not a fluke. This is good science, repeating the tests.

If an argument cannot meet its own criteria for truth, it proves itself false.
The point of his logic is that if it can't meet one of the 2 criteria, it cannot be true.
Since his logic does not meet either of the criteria, it cannot be true. By its own standards, it is false.

You are arguing semantics when you say 'correlations' instead of causes.
Using the same sun and flower experiment, how would you describe the correlation between the sun and the plant? I personally would describe it as the sun causing the plant to grow.

For any X and Y assume that always if X then Y, if not X then not Y. This still doesn't imply causation. It implies only a perfect correlation.
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:38 pm
@Night Ripper,
Again, this is a matter of semantics.
If X didn't happen, neither would Y.
If you didn't post that(X), I would not have responded(Y).

We're saying the same thing in different words.
That 'perfect correlation' is a cause/effect relationship.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm
@HeroicOvenmitt,
HeroicOvenmitt wrote:

Again, this is a matter of semantics.
If X didn't happen, neither would Y.
If you didn't post that(X), I would not have responded(Y).

We're saying the same thing in different words.
That 'perfect correlation' is a cause/effect relationship.

No, they are different things. There are perfect correlations that you wouldn't say are causation.

1. If a bang comes out of a gun pointed at you, you die.
2. If no bang comes out of a gun pointed at you, you don't die.
3. Therefore, the bang causes you to die.

I'm sure you don't believe that though. You believe it's the bullet not the bang.

Don't get too caught up in trying to pick apart this particular example. The bullet and the bang can be isolated from each other. I'm sure you can think of other perfect correlations that you would say aren't causation that can't be isolated from each other.
HeroicOvenmitt

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:01 pm
@Night Ripper,
well yes I disagree... the cause of death would be rather obvious.
Gunshot wound(cause)
Death(effect)