phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

RammsteinNicCage

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:46 pm
<--stupid. Embarrassed

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:50 pm
Nah, I'm stupid tonight. I'm trying to help a user with a PC related problem that is wierd. So I duplicated it (as the descriptions made no sense to me) and am stuck in the same boat. I found the problem in the registry but even when I do the right things I can't rid myself of the problem.

I'm deep in my registry and wanting to kick myself.

This one cheered me up because it was easier to solve, I was halfway through speculatinng at what it could be when I decided to check if you had replaced the directory name.

Now if I can only get my computer back to normal...
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:53 pm
hehe, if you ever need 'intelligence cheering up' let me know, I can always come up with something stupid.

It took me about three months to figure out what was causing a beeping on my computer once (MSN Messenger). In my defense though, I had turned that sound off and it reverted back to the default after rebooting. Razz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:00 pm
I may well call you up on that tomorrow, by which time I expect to have destroyed my registry and rendered my computer useless. ;-)
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:03 pm
tsk, tsk, should have backed it up before tinkering. Wink Good luck!

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:21 pm
LOL, I thought of that halfway thorugh. But it's resolved now. G'Night
0 Replies

horizon70s

Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:33 pm
Craven,

Will you mow my lawn? Embarrassed Laughing

Just kidding off course, thanks for your work on this "mod". I did a lot of this on my own but found some of your suggestions very helpful.

Quick question on the "penalty" if you will on viewtopic and viewforum files....rather than creating a mod to rename them, have you tested the "name theory" by creating a file called "viewforum" or "viewtopic" (not forum related, just a FOO page) and seeing how it gets treated?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 16 Dec, 2003 01:37 pm
horizon70s wrote:
Quick question on the "penalty" if you will on viewtopic and viewforum files....rather than creating a mod to rename them, have you tested the "name theory" by creating a file called "viewforum" or "viewtopic" (not forum related, just a FOO page) and seeing how it gets treated?

Nope, and that's a good idea. It would tell if the penalty is exclusively filename based.

I am certain there is a penalty, just not certain if it's entirely file name based.
0 Replies

B-truE

Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:48 pm
Craven,

Do you know if this MOD will work in the 2.06 port of phpBB that is packaged with PHP-Nuke 7.0?

I just thought I'd ask, because I would like to use it for that as well...

Thanks.

B-truE
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 16 Dec, 2003 02:50 pm
I am not sure. I have never used PHP-Nuke.

Some code changes certainly will. But if you are concerned with search engine optimization you'd do well to avoid PHP-Nuke altogether (as it's about the worst thing you can use in terms of SEO).

If you use PHP-Nuke I suggest you use mod rewrite to convert the URLs into something that makes sense for search engines.
0 Replies

993ti

Tue 16 Dec, 2003 03:28 pm
I finished editing the files, all i have to do now is upload the files and take a close look what happens.

I'll keep you posted.
Grtz
0 Replies

safecracker

Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:55 am
ok i decided to use the mod but when setting it up for my subBlack3dOrg template got a lil lost.

It does not include the code to do the below mods

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

<td align="right" valign="top" nowrap="nowrap">{JUMPBOX}<span class="gensmall">{S_AUTH_LIST}</span></td>

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------
#
<td align="right" valign="top" nowrap="nowrap">
<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->
{JUMPBOX}<span class="gensmall">{S_AUTH_LIST}</span>
<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->
</td>

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

<span class="nav"><a href="{U_VIEW_OLDER_TOPIC}" class="nav">{L_VIEW_PREVIOUS_TOPIC}</a> :: <a href="{U_VIEW_NEWER_TOPIC}" class="nav">{L_VIEW_NEXT_TOPIC}</a>  </span>

#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------
#

<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->
<span class="nav"><a href="{U_VIEW_OLDER_TOPIC}" class="nav">{L_VIEW_PREVIOUS_TOPIC}</a> :: <a href="{U_VIEW_NEWER_TOPIC}" class="nav">{L_VIEW_NEXT_TOPIC}</a>  </span>

it does however have a similar line to

accept using the "gensmall" class instead of "nav"

any ideas? thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:12 pm
safecracker wrote:
ok i decided to use the mod but when setting it up for my subBlack3dOrg template got a lil lost.

It does not include the code to do the below mods

MODs are standardized on the SubSilver template. You won't get exact matches on other templates so you will need to look for something similar. For this you will need to have a very basic understanding of HTML (or you might have difficulty determining exactly what similar code should be replaced.

If you have trouble with this let me know.

In this below you need to look for "{JUMPBOX}" and "{S_AUTH_LIST}". The surreounding classes might, of course, be different.

Code:<td align="right" valign="top" nowrap="nowrap">{JUMPBOX}<span class="gensmall">{S_AUTH_LIST}</span></td>

Same thing here. Look for the things in { and }. The surrounding classes might be different in each template as the CSS might be very different.

Code:<span class="nav"><a href="{U_VIEW_OLDER_TOPIC}" class="nav">{L_VIEW_PREVIOUS_TOPIC}</a> :: <a href="{U_VIEW_NEWER_TOPIC}" class="nav">{L_VIEW_NEXT_TOPIC}</a>  </span>
0 Replies

safecracker

Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:20 am
I found the below tables but am not sure where to put <!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in --> and <!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->

Code:<td width=35% align=right valign="midle" bgcolor=#2d2d2d><span class=gensmall>{JUMPBOX} </span>
</td></form></tr></table>
</td></tr></table>
<br />
<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=96%>
<tr><td class=auth2 bgcolor=#4f4f4f><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" border="0" width=100%><tr>
<td bgcolor=#4f4f4f class=auth width=100%><table width="100%" cellspacing="0" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="3">
<tr><td width=50% valign=top><span class=gensr>{S_AUTH_LIST}
</span></td>
<td width=50% align=right valign=top> 
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:32 am
I'm going to give you the code changes but first I'd like to help you understand the point of that code change.

By enveloping the jumpbox and authlist (the "You can" "You can't" list) in a user logged in switch you display it only for those logged in.

The jumpbox isn't as important as the auth list as the auth list is redundant keyword dilluting text.

In addition the auth list can confuse those not technically adept. It says "You can't post" and such when not logged in and some users don't get that it says that because they are not logged in.

So the point of the user logged in switch for this is to only display this for logged in users. Since search engines are not logged in this keeps the redundant text from them too.

In that particular template the jumpbox and auth list are in different cells. So you'd need to use two sets of switches or the table will be messed up.

Basically you want to envelop the following in switches:

Code:<span class=gensmall>{JUMPBOX} </span>

and

Code:<span class=gensr>{S_AUTH_LIST}
</span>

Frankly I'd skip the jumpbox and just do the auth list. I don't really think the jump box is worth keeping for members only.

One word of caustion. Some browsers don't render an empty cell well. So I'd put a space ( ) outside of the switches just to be safe.

So change this:

Code:<span class=gensr>{S_AUTH_LIST}
</span>

To this:

Code:<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->
<span class=gensr>{S_AUTH_LIST}</span>

Remember to keep switches in the phpBB templating engine on their own line to avoid some problems.

If you want to do the jumpbox was well just wrap it in the switch the same way.
0 Replies

safecracker

Thu 18 Dec, 2003 01:47 am
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks for all the help.
0 Replies

993ti

Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:31 am
Okay, i uploaded the changed files and also left the original viewtopic and viewforum files (because the site is also found by viewtopic.php links in search engine results).

@Craven, thx for mentioning edit pad lite.
It's a great tool and i also found some instances of viewtopic and viewforum in files i thought i edited all of them.

Grtz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:03 am
It's a great tool. I will probably buy the pro version just because the free version was so helpful.
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:01 am
I had asked the question about blocking the spiders from certain forums and he said either putting the actual forum link in the robots.txt should work (he wasn't sure) or doing the meta thing you suggested. Does this look right?

Code:In templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl replace the following line (#8)

======================================
<title>{SITENAME} :: {PAGE_TITLE}</title>

with:========

<title>{SITENAME} :: {PAGE_TITLE}</title>

{ROBOTS}

then in includes/page_header.tpl replace the following line (#63)

//
// Parse and show the overall header.
//
$template->set_filenames(array(
'overall_header' => ( empty($gen_simple_header) ) ? 'overall_header.tpl' : 'simple_header.tpl')
);

//
// Parse and show the overall header.
//
$template->set_filenames(array(
'overall_header' => ( empty($gen_simple_header) ) ? 'overall_header.tpl' : 'simple_header.tpl')
);

//
// function to display META ROBOTS depending on forum id.
// add comma-separated forum ids to the array.
// e.g. $arr_disallow = array(18,3,5,7);
//

$arr_disallow = array(18,7);

if (in_array($forum_id, $arr_disallow))
{
$meta_robots = '<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">';
}

then in the same file replace the following line (#456):

'NAV_LINKS' => $nav_links_html)

'NAV_LINKS' => $nav_links_html,

'ROBOTS' => $meta_robots)

the little if(in_array) clause generates the meta tag if the forum id is matched, and this tag is given its own template name (ROBOTS), which you put in the template where you want it to appear.

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:49 pm
robots.txt won't work because some spiders do not differentiate between variables and files and would simply not index any forums.

The dynamic generation of metatags ("no index no follow") is the right idea.

Now I haven't tested that code, but if it's generating the meta tags correctly then it should work.
0 Replies