phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

RammsteinNicCage

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:49 pm
Ok, gotcha, thanks!

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:39 pm
Oh, but do note that it won't stop it from indexing the threads in those forums (assuming it finds the threads from somewhere outside of the forum page). So in a way it might not help much.

From the index some threads can be found, so even if you are blocking forums the threads themselves can be spidered.

So you might want to do dynamic no index no follow meta tags for threads as well.
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:02 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
assuming it finds the threads from somewhere outside of the forum page

So, that would probably include the thing where you click on the users name and it'll send you to the last post of that thread?

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:06 pm
Yes, and off site links, username searches......

In other words it's more important to do the meta tag on the thread than the forum.
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:10 pm
I don't know how it would be possible to get it into only some of the forums.... Help? *bats eyelashes*

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:16 pm
I don't have time to write the code for you but I'm wondering if your snippet above will do the trick or if it is close.

Is that code live on your site?
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:19 pm
No, it's not. I wanted to make sure it looked ok before trying it. I'll throw it up tonight, but it could take a while to get an answer....

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:30 pm
Ok, I might be able to look at that kind of code later. It's not a priority for me because I have several terabytes of bandwith to use.
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:34 pm
Didn't mom teach you about sharing? Wink

Jennifer
0 Replies

RamArgid

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:09 pm
404's and Registration
Hi Craven,

Excellent board and an even better mod. I implemented it and had no problems.

First regarding another topic:
Quote:
BTW, all the 404 pages go right to the sign up form but this is only temporary as I eliminated an old portal that had a few hundred thousand links in various search engines. When i tool them down i figured I'd send all the 404 traffic to the signup pages as the user might think registration is required to view the content he/she was searching for. This trick has netted a few hundred visitors (I guess, about 50 since I started tracking) but it only works if you have intentional 404 traffic.

Any ideas how to do this just for the forum itself? I don't want all my 404 traffic going to the registration page of the forums. If I had an .htaccess file I could write a script, however, the site is hosted on a windows box and I do NOT have physical access to IIS.

On another note, are there any gotcha's to modifying the registration page to only include the username, email and password like you have done?

TIA

P.S. You exhibit a great deal more patience than I think I ever could with people, kudos.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:21 pm
Ram_Argid,

Thanks.

I am not aware of a solution for an IIS box that you do not have access to. :-(

I avoid windows servers and prefer Linux/Apache.

Now after 20 seconds of thought my idea would be to ask the host (or whomever has access to the server) to specify a certain page as the 404 and then on that page write code that redirects based on the referrer.

I can't help much more than that, I have never administered a Windows server except for purposes other than serving files.

As to the registration page I just specify a different template when it's a registration (as opposed to a profile edit).

I won't be releasing code for that as there is already a mod out there that does precisely that and I don't want to step on the mod author's toes. But it basically works like this:

Code:#
in usercp_register.php find:

$template->set_filenames(array(
'body' => 'profile_add_body.tpl')
);

REPLACE IT WITH:

if ($mode=='register')
$template->set_filenames(array( 'body' => 'THENAMEFORYOURNEWTEMPLATEFILE.tpl'));
else $template->set_filenames(array('body' => 'profile_add_body.tpl'));

Then you make a shortened form and put it in that new template file you create.

I believe Niels is the author of the original solution I saw for that. I am not sure.
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:40 am
RammsteinNicCage wrote:
I had asked the question about blocking the spiders from certain forums and he said either putting the actual forum link in the robots.txt should work (he wasn't sure) or doing the meta thing you suggested. Does this look right?

Code:
//
// Parse and show the overall header.
//
'overall_header' => ( empty($gen_simple_header) ) ? 'overall_header.tpl' : 'simple_header.tpl')
);

//
// function to display META ROBOTS depending on forum id.
// add comma-separated forum ids to the array.
// e.g. $arr_disallow = array(18,3,5,7);
//

$arr_disallow = array(18,7);

if (in_array($forum_id, $arr_disallow))
{
$meta_robots = '<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">';
}

Jennifer

Its better in this way:

Code:
with:========

//
// Parse and show the overall header.
//
'overall_header' => ( empty($gen_simple_header) ) ? 'overall_header.tpl' : 'simple_header.tpl')
);

//
// function to display META ROBOTS depending on forum id.
// add comma-separated forum ids to the array.
// e.g. $arr_disallow = array(18,3,5,7);
//

$arr_disallow = array(18,7);

if (in_array($forum_id, $arr_disallow))
{
$meta_robots = '<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">';
}
else
{
$meta_robots = '<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">';
}
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:24 am
Does anyone know a similar script like the "noindex nofollow" able to set "noindex, nofollow" also for pages like members.php register.php search.php ecc.???
I know i can also use robots.txt but i think its better a script directly in the pages.
Thanks and sorry 4 my english!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:29 am
DAIKAMURA wrote:

I know i can also use robots.txt but i think its better a script directly in the pages.

robots.txt is a better solution.

But a dynamic script should be easy, the tag would be defined as a variable in each file (allowing one to set a no or a yes) that the template calls.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Thu 25 Dec, 2003 07:43 am
HI.. cavern..
Now can u give me any explaination that after recent index updates of google's index my mainpage has still PR3 but the forums page has now got PR0 earlier it had also PR3 . I was expecting increase in PR but it decreased...

I haven't done any big change.. instead i have got site linked to my site increased...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 25 Dec, 2003 02:57 pm
Your forum has a page rank of 3.

If you look at .../forums/ the PR is 3.

If you loook at .../forums/index.php the page rank is 0.

Your home page links to ..../forums/ this is why that URL has pagerank.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Fri 26 Dec, 2003 01:26 am
Ok i got it. but after this index update my pages indexed in google has been decreased instead of increasing...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 26 Dec, 2003 05:31 am
RickyJaff,

This modification is not an invitation to start babysitting sites. It clearly specifies what it will do and does that.

It does not guarantee any result in Google and your repeated questions simply have nothing to do with the code I am releasing and supporting.

If you continue to ask me about every single change you perceive in regard to Google and your site I'll simply start ignoring you, as it is not relevant to this code. This code simply allows Google to index your topics and optimizes. It does not mean Google will do anything, it means Google CAN.

What search engines actually do is due to their calculations and other changes you make.

I don't mind releasing code and helping people use it. But it is not an invitation to hold each webmaster's hand and allay their worries about Google.

If you have a question about the functionality of my code I'll be happy to help.

If you want to know any theoretical information about search engine optimization I can help.

What I will not do is take on new "clients". I charge a lot of money for the type of service that would be required to answer the questions you ask.

I release code and answer questions as a courtesy, and what I am trying to tell you is that you are making this a situation in which I gave an inch and you are asking for a mile.

Please don't ask me about every dip and change in your site's listings. As a SEO I charge for that.

The reason why is that for someone to give informed answers they need to follow your site's progression in search engine. They need to go over your site to check every detail.

I do not do that for you. I do not track what search engines index what pages.

For this reason I can only ignore those questions. If you want answers you will have to hire a SEO. But I'd honestly recommend patience instead.

Worrying about your listings doesn't change a thing. All you can do is make the right moves and hope for the best.

This code is one such move. Now hope for the best, and please don't keep asking me why your site isn't doing better.

HINT: Indexes change all the time. You can make no changes to your site and still lose positions and listings in search engines.
0 Replies

993ti

Fri 26 Dec, 2003 12:56 pm
Yep, i see my listings change every now and then.
If i search for the sitename i get a lot of results but.....the site is also found with other searchterms that show a lot of different results and pages of my site that didn't show up when i search the sitename.

Just relax and be patient.
After applying this mod the search engines visit my site more often.
One day they don't show up at all, the other they're all over the place.

@Craven
I don't think that renaming viewtopic.php and viewforum.php makes any difference.
Google does index the viewtopic and viewforum.php (and the topic title) but it does not seem to index the posted message.
Any suggestions how to make it index the posted message too?

Grtz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 26 Dec, 2003 01:02 pm
Hmm, I do not get what you mean about not indexing the post. Google doesn't selectively index portions of the page.

Sometimes it will ahve a listing without ANY of the page in the index and it will simply list the URL. That happens a lot when a result gets in through Dmoz or elsewhere but Google hasn't spidered it yet.

But to index a part of the page and not index the rest of the text is not something I think happens. Can you describe what you mean?
0 Replies