phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:43 am
Invader wrote:
ok will do - the Mod works perfectly with 2.0.4, I see no SIDs when logged in, which is good.

You see no SIDs when loggin in because you are using cookies. This mod is for SIDs when logged out (as spiders won't log in with few exceptions). So make sure to check that there are no SIDs when logged out.

Invader wrote:
So this should allow Google and other Search Engines to spider my WHOLE forum?

It will make it easier for them, they won't index the whole forum though.

Invader wrote:
will this still be spidered, it is of course not a normal URL with the includion of the 'tilde' in it

It can be spidered. That doesn't hurt the spider at all.

But having your own domain will help. Search engines penalize free hosting etc because they view those sites as having less quality (since anyone can put one up without any investment).

I strongly recommend having your own domain name for reasons other than just SEO.

Invader wrote:
... I was just wondering, seeing as though you are obviously the master of SEO. Would I just simply have to submit my forum's page URLs through my SE Submission tools as I once did with my main website?

Thank you.

I recommend against submission software. First of al because some search engines (and directories) penalize you for using it (as they should since automated submissions hogs resources and causes problems.

Secondly it is usually a scam to sell the submission software or service.

Thirdly it usually sublits to a bunch of FFA type sites who really aren't going to help you and who just want your email address to send spam to you.

Submitting to directories like dmoz makes sense. Submitting to some search engines (like gigablast) makes sense (because they use it).

Submitting to the big search engines makes no sense (since they ignore it and have the form there just because people will bug them if they don't).

Google, for example, will almost always ignore submissions completely. They only index the page once it's met a certain criteria of theirs.

The best form of search engine submission is a link to your site on an indexed page. If you want to get indexed, and indexed deeply, you need people to link to your site.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:07 pm
Quote:
Google, for example, will almost always ignore submissions completely. They only index the page once it's met a certain criteria of theirs

May i know wht are those certain criteria ???
if not all . just give a simple idea....

Is that same for altavista ???
then how to get indexed in altavista ???
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:10 pm
They do not immediately index sites with no backlinks.

Sites with no backlinks will often first just get the home page indexed.
0 Replies

993ti

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:13 am
Hmm, strange, after i deleted the {NAV_LINKS} in the overall_header, Google doesn't show up anymore.

Is this just coincedental or should i put it back?
Grtz

[edit]just checked in the page_header.php and seems that it's this bit:
Code://
// Generate HTML required for Mozilla Navigation bar
//

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the Googlebot acting like the Mozilla browser?
If so, can we do something with the {NAV_LINKS} bit to further enhance it for the Googlebot and other search engines that act like the Mozilla browser?
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:14 am
hey :; cavern.. i have included my site name in the header but after the name of topic.. so that on searh for linux solved it get higher .. does that effect any thing ???
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:18 am
Also i have not included the word forum as suggested by u b'cause google don't like forum type of words..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:10 pm
993ti wrote:
Hmm, strange, after i deleted the {NAV_LINKS} in the overall_header, Google doesn't show up anymore.

Is this just coincedental or should i put it back?

Dunno, I recommended against removing it and have not been paying attention to what might result.

Quote:

If so, can we do something with the {NAV_LINKS} bit to further enhance it for the Googlebot and other search engines that act like the Mozilla browser?

This is called "cloaking" and if teh search engines catch you you might be removed from their index.

Do not cloak unless you know what you are doing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:11 pm
RickyJaff wrote:
hey :; cavern.. i have included my site name in the header but after the name of topic.. so that on searh for linux solved it get higher .. does that effect any thing ???

It means your pages will do better for a query on your domain name and worse on other queries. Since people who know your domain name don't need help finding you I'd recommend against it (though it helps branding).

In addition, you have your home page etc where you can catch traffic from your domain name query.

RickyJaff wrote:
Also i have not included the word forum as suggested by u b'cause google don't like forum type of words..

I never said not to use the word forum except when talking about renaming the viewforum.php file.
0 Replies

993ti

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:24 pm
Thx for the reply.
I've put it back but if that's cloaking, why is it there?

Still need good names to change viewtopic.php and viewforum.php to though Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:29 pm
What's cloaking is to try to serve a search engine specific data that other user agents do not get. What's there is fine and as I said all along doesn't need to be tinkered with.

As to the names for your files just think of something related to your site and use it.
0 Replies

993ti

Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:42 pm
Thx, i'll leave the nav_links part alone then Smile

I asked the users on my site if they know any good altenatives for renaming the files. Very Happy
Btw, it's both viewforum and viewtopic, right?
Grtz
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:51 am
Changed as u said..
0 Replies

993ti

Thu 11 Dec, 2003 03:37 pm
I started changing the names of the files and everything works except this;
When posting a new message or replying it says, click here to return to the topic.
But the url still says viewtopic and viewforum.

What can be the problem?
I checked almost every file for viewtopic and viewforum but i changed all of them.
Is there something else i overlooked?

[edit]It's this line in posting.php:
Code:
$template->assign_vars(array(
'META' => '<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="3;url=' . append_sid("viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id") . '">')
);
$message .= '<br /><br />' . sprintf($lang['Click_view_message'], '<a href="' . append_sid("viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id") . '">', '</a>');
message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, $message);

I changed viewtopic to showthread (the new name of viewtopic.php), if everything works after this prob gets fixed, i'll post the results.
Grtz
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Thu 11 Dec, 2003 08:54 pm
Update: About 2 weeks after installing the mod, googlebot has started spidering it. It took so long probably because my site is relatively unknown right now.

Just today, it has hit me about 700 times (and there are still a few more hours left in the day) and used up almost 13MB of bandwidth. That does seem quite a bit for a forum with only 900 posts and 33 users. I really would worry about doing this on another forum I have which has almost 50,000 posts and 150 users; that could result in a lot of bandwidth consumption.

Some of the pages that are being spidered are:

/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21&highlight=
/forum/login.php?redirect=posting.php&mode=quote&p=293

Is there anyway to prevent those from being spidered without affecting posts from being spidered?

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 11 Dec, 2003 10:40 pm
993ti,

The code replace you said you were going to try should work fine, let me know otherwise.

RammsteinNicCage,

It certainly can eat up bandwith. I think Google uses about 5 GB a month on this site.

There are many ways to cut down on the bandwidth but you should first employ the robots.txt file.

I will add an example robots.txt file and instructions to this mod soon.
0 Replies

993ti

Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
993ti,

The code replace you said you were going to try should work fine, let me know otherwise.
quote]

I did that but it still points to the viewtopic.php and viewforum.php.
I changed every instance of viewtopic and viewforum.
I also checked every file and replaced the names where needed, still nothing.

Grtz
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:02 am
Great, I'll be looking forward to the robots.txt example. Smile

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:00 am
993ti,

If you had indeed replaced all instances of "viewforum" and "viewtopic" there would simply be no way for the software to be sending people to those links.

So in short, you missed something.

Try using a tool that can search and replace through a whole folder of files (like Edit Pad Lite).

Jennifer,

I will take a while to write up a decent tutorial on robots.txt and phpBB but here's an example file to start. If any help is needed in implementing it please let me know.

Code:User-agent: *
Disallow: /forums/admin/
Disallow: /forums/db/
Disallow: /forums/images/
Disallow: /forums/includes/
Disallow: /forums/language/
Disallow: /forums/spelling/
Disallow: /forums/templates/
Disallow: /forums/profile.php
Disallow: /forums/groupcp.php
Disallow: /forums/memberlist.php
Disallow: /forums/modcp.php
Disallow: /forums/posting.php
Disallow: /forums/privmsg.php
Disallow: /forums/viewonline.php
Disallow: /forums/faq.php
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:00 pm
Ok, I put that in my robots.txt file Friday or Saturday. I just had a hit from google's mediapartner bot to my posting.php file. If I'm not mistaken, google bot will look at the robots.txt file about once a day, right? Or does mediapartner not obey robots.txt? Something else?

Jennifer
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:45 pm
User-agent: * means all bots (but only bots that respect robots.txt will obey).

Mediabot should obey it.

But it would help if you use the correct directory name. You are using what I use "forums", while your directory is "forum".

Rename all instances of "forums" in the robots.text file to "forum" and you will at least be giving the bots the correct instructions.
0 Replies