phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

mdvaldosta

Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:32 am
Craven -

Back the the problem about latest posters not showing on the index page but they show unlinked like they should elsewhere....

I edited another board, and it does the same thing. I made no errors in applying the mod.

After editing the index.php file - before doing any of the other files - thats when the latest poster for each forum disappeared. The problem has to lie there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:48 pm
mdvaldosta wrote:
I made no errors in applying the mod.

Then it would not produce the results you describe.
0 Replies

mdvaldosta

Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:57 am
But it certainly does. I'm quite explicit about the exact problem I have, and I don't see their being very many reasons for my problem. The cold truth is that the mod is applied correctly, while I'm no php expert - applying a mod as per the directions is something I'm completely capable of.

I simply ask to be pointed down the right path. I'm not requesting you spend your time debugging a site for someone you don't even know - I ask only to be pointed down the right path. I can't possibly be the only person to have this problem. This has happened to me on both the websites I've applied the mod to... and frankly your instructions are too simple to not be applied correctly.

FYI - I'm using FiBlack & FiSubsilverSh
0 Replies

Dutchie69

Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:47 am
Keywords and file structure
Hi Craven,

Nice MOD bro. Im long in the tooth in SEO and this will make the bots life easier!

I was wondering if the MOD can be MOD'ed so that the name of the post can be the file name. keyphrase1.htm would be better than file-1.htm.

The other thing which I would highly recommend is the ability to not refer to /index.php especially if the site endings are all .htm. In www.able2knows.com case the 'Forum Index' link above should link to www.able2knows.com/ and not www.able2knows.com/index.php Google has a problem with this as it counts them as two separate pages, which drains page weight.

The consistancy in file structure for SEs are very important.

I would like all file endings to be either .htm or .html or .php not a bit of all and preferably www.able2knows.com/file/ (so that I am not bound to HTTP, PHP, ASPX etc.)

Basically can you help to MOD your MOD so that all my links end in www.able2knows.com/file/ or more importantly for a link to the home page to link to http://www.able2knows.com/ without mention of index file?

Any chance we can make the file names post orientated like /widgets/blue-widgets/

Cheers and keep up the good work Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:26 pm
mdvaldosta wrote:
But it certainly does.

Then you should revisit your assertion that you have not made an error.

Quote:
I'm quite explicit about the exact problem I have, and I don't see their being very many reasons for my problem.

Neither do I.

Quote:
The cold truth is that the mod is applied correctly, while I'm no php expert - applying a mod as per the directions is something I'm completely capable of.

The "cold truth" is that if you do it right it does not exhibit the behavior you describe.

Quote:
I simply ask to be pointed down the right path. I'm not requesting you spend your time debugging a site for someone you don't even know - I ask only to be pointed down the right path.

I have. I have told you that you have made an error. I do not know where the error is but you have made an error that can be rectified by correctly applying the mod.

I can't help you any further, you simply do not belive that what I am saying is true and I am not fond of repeating it just to see if you have changed your mind.

Quote:
I can't possibly be the only person to have this problem.

You aren't. Others have had the same problem when they made mistakes with the mod as well.

Quote:
This has happened to me on both the websites I've applied the mod to... and frankly your instructions are too simple to not be applied correctly.

I understand that you don't wish to believe that you made a mistake, but please understand that I don't care to repeat that you did any more.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:35 pm
Re: Keywords and file structure
Dutchie69 wrote:

I was wondering if the MOD can be MOD'ed so that the name of the post can be the file name. keyphrase1.htm would be better than file-1.htm.

Only if you drastically change the way the urls are re-written. Right now it just executes a "find/replace" of the existing output to rewrite according to pattern.

To do what you describe needs a database lookup and would have to be moved to the point at which the title is extracted.

This would be vastly different. It's a planned update to the mod, but it brings complexities that need thorough testing.

Others have done similar work, but their work has been buggy and not suitable for production.

Quote:
The other thing which I would highly recommend is the ability to not refer to /index.php especially if the site endings are all .htm. In www.able2knows.com case the 'Forum Index' link above should link to www.able2knows.com/ and not www.able2knows.com/index.php Google has a problem with this as it counts them as two separate pages, which drains page weight.

This is an easy change done in the page header. I have already added this to a future release of this mod.

Quote:
The consistancy in file structure for SEs are very important.

No, it's not. Search engines care not a whit about consistency in file-types. Not a single one of the popular search engines ever has unless they were filtering searches to a particular file-type (e.g. an mp3 search).

Quote:
I would like all file endings to be either .htm or .html or .php not a bit of all and preferably www.able2knows.com/file/ (so that I am not bound to HTTP, PHP, ASPX etc.)

This goes far beyond the scope of this mod, and is not something I would find worthwhile to code.

Quote:
Basically can you help to MOD your MOD so that all my links end in www.able2knows.com/file/

No.

Quote:
or more importantly for a link to the home page to link to http://www.able2knows.com/ without mention of index file?

Sure, just open includes/page_header.php and find:

Code: 'U_INDEX' => append_sid('index.'.$phpEx),

Change that to whatever you want it to be.

Quote:
Any chance we can make the file names post orientated like /widgets/blue-widgets/

Sure.
0 Replies

mdvaldosta

Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:54 am
my apologies Craven
One last post about my "latest poster on index" problem...

You were correct, I did make a mistake and I apologize for insisting I did not err. What I did was replaced an entire line on index.php where I should have just replaced part of it.

Now, in retrospect, if the mod had said "In line, find" instead of "find" I would not have made that mistake. Sure its trivial, but thats usually how mods for phpbb are written and may help to avoid confusion in the future.

Thanks again for the great mod, it is appreciated.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:14 am
Re: my apologies Craven
mdvaldosta wrote:

Now, in retrospect, if the mod had said "In line, find" instead of "find" I would not have made that mistake. Sure its trivial, but thats usually how mods for phpbb are written and may help to avoid confusion in the future.

I will try to look into this. I usually only use inline finds with smaller strings but I will check this syntax if I have time.
0 Replies

DogFaceBoy

Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:15 pm
Hello. This is a very nice mod indeed. But I have a few problems Craven.

1st problem - The new .html pages only show for guests, but once you login, they are .php pages again.

2nd problem - Because of the first problem when you login it is an error.

3rd problem - The icons at the side of each board do not update to say their is a new post in that area.

Please help. Take a look at my site if you need Edit (Moderator): URL Removed
0 Replies

tado

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:28 am
DogFaceBoy wrote:

1st problem - The new .html pages only show for guests, but once you login, they are .php pages again.

Quote:
This mod makes static URLs (only for guests) for phpBB

be sure to read the author's notes. Smile
0 Replies

tado

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 03:22 am
forum is on index
Thanks for the creator of this mod. Smile

Just some questions:

1. I am running the forum on the root and not on /forums directory.

should I modify only the first line of the htaccess file?

Please advise. thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:56 pm
The .htaccess file does not need modification.

Note to all:

Static URLs for both logged in and logged out users is coming shortly (probably within 2 weeks).

Keywords in URLs is also coming soon (perhaps a little later as it will require more debugging).
0 Replies

tado

Fri 16 Sep, 2005 01:07 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

so my robots.txt will look like this? Confused

Disallow: /post-*.html$
Disallow: /updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /ptopic*.html$
Disallow: /ntopic*.html$
0 Replies

erolz

Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:30 pm
Just wanted to say a big thank you for these mods. Hopefully they will help my site re SEO (Edit (Moderator): URL Removed). Thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:59 pm
tado wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

so my robots.txt will look like this? Confused

Disallow: /post-*.html$
Disallow: /updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /ptopic*.html$
Disallow: /ntopic*.html$

.htaccess != robots.txt
0 Replies

kbzero

Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:31 am
thank-you for this mod
This is just brilliant!

The mod worked perfectly. Just copy and pasted as instructed and absolutely NO TROUBLE and excellent results.

Thank-You for your help!

FYI I am on Pair Networks, in case others need help. They have ModRewrite installed on the server. My website is htt~^@^$ +++CARRIER LOST DISCONNECTED.
0 Replies

tado

Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:25 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

.htaccess != robots.txt

yes, they are different but what I mean is that my forum is not inside the /forums directory.

and my question is for the .htaccess file, on the 1st line. do I still have to remove 'forums' since that directory does not exist?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
tado wrote:

and my question is for the .htaccess file, on the 1st line. do I still have to remove 'forums' since that directory does not exist?

No, it has nothing to do with the directory (and doesn't actually get used unless you link to /yourforumdirectory/forum.html
0 Replies

BillEvans

Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:34 pm
Great Mod, works well and very easy to install. If I can install it...anyone can.

My favorite part is putting the subject of the message as the page title. Very cool. I don't know if this has been covered, but is it possible to have the first 100 words or so of the first post be put into the description?

Anyway, thanks a TON for the mod and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Congrats on almost having 1 million pages for able2know.com in google by the way!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm
BillEvans wrote:
My favorite part is putting the subject of the message as the page title. Very cool. I don't know if this has been covered, but is it possible to have the first 100 words or so of the first post be put into the description?

Yes, it's possible. But I'm working on a better solution with a developer at work.

We have some really neat stuff coming along.
0 Replies