phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

RickyJaff

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:39 am
Cavern !! Earlier you said that google indexes the pages fast of those websites who has got adword with google.. You also said that it is not necessary that it is true.. But i was monitoring various new sites from last month.. and wht i noticed was that . the sites who got adword program are very well listed and they have higher ranking also.. And the one who r not using this r only having on or two pages indexed in google...

So.. does this mean google is doing partiallity ??
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:49 am
No I doubt that it's an indication of partiality. Like I said earlier that was an impression I had that I have since been divested of.

I no longer believe it has any validity.

In any case comparing between sites will simply not give you any accurate data. You must compare the same site with and without. I have done so.

The reason why a cross site comparison is meaningless is simple.

Since Google has a criteria that includes site size and poularity the ones running their ads can be assumed to be, on average, more popular than the ones that are rejected.

Anywho, if you want to compare sites compare them by comparing backlinks and the PR of the page linking to them.
0 Replies

graziano

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:02 am
Hello

yesterday google indexed my forum .
I applied your mod to optimize my search engine on google, however
after the google indexing , only 29 url were indexed
I have sent my url to you via pm .
Can you understand what was wrong on my forum and google stopped to index my forum ?

Bye
Graziano
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:29 am
Graziano,

Please do not PM me with requests. I offer to help and distribute code but I will not offer individual consultations. Especially considering what I am about to say.

You applied this code a few days ago. You are now asking me to explain why you don't have more pages in Google.

Simply put, WAIT. If your site merits the indexing (i.e. fits Google's criteria) it will be indexed as much as it merits indexing.

It takes more than days and sometimes more than weeks. As your PR improves Google will want to index more of your pages.

I will add other techniques to this tutorial/MOD but I'm not going to answer the now already overwhelming "tell me why Google hasn't indexed more pages" requests.

You guys are asking me by PM (and I do not provide support by PM) and asking me while expecting Google's indexes to update within days.

In the past Google updated around once a month.

Google has two types of updates, freshbot updates and deep crawls.

We just finished a deep crawl (seep crawls are getting rarer but still exist).

You may have to wait till the next crawl. Google has no schedule for this but over the last few years it has averaged once a month.

So do not ask me about results a few days after you make a change. It's simply pointless as your change will not necessarily be immediately reflected in Google.

If you want instant gratification submit your site to www.gigablast.com that is the only search engine of decent size that features live indexing (e.g. submit a URL and a few minutes later it's in the search engine).
0 Replies

graziano

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:57 am
Hi Craven ,

my request was far to ask you support . It's was not my idea .
Sorry if you have understand this .

I was thinking you was interested to know if your mod works fine, first of all .
I wrote you via pm especially to report you my url (instead to publish it in this forum) .

My site was indexed 2 days ago , I am sure of it , in fact google now reports a change I did on meta tags the same days I applied yoru mod.
However for some strange reason my phpbb topics were not indexed.

If my site was not indexed was probably because your mod was not
applied as required , for this reason I was asking if you see something wrong on my forum. Or probably the firewall I am running on the box (apf) was considering google an abuser ... I don't know .

However if you have no time or not interested to discuss why my site was not indexed , no problem , of course.

Thank you
Bye
Graziano
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:43 am
I know the mod works, I've been using it for months. And I checked your site and it's working there.

Give it time, continue to improve on your site and everything will work out.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 11:03 am
Hi.. cavern.. One question.. again.. y google is only indexing those url which i had given on index.htm (i.e. outside the forums) Google is not indexing my forums pages..
Your mod is good i m not blamming anything on mod.. just wanna have a simple idea.. that y google hate my forums ?? Although i have now PR2 . One more thing.. if u have " http://www.sitename.com " as text .. then will google treat it as text or url ??

Lastly :: imp.. I have impemented a javascript on my overall_header.tpl and index.htm so that my index title scrolls.. u can see it on my site..

Is it harmful for search engine ???/
I will rmv that if it harms in any way!!

Waiting..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 11:07 am
You have a PR of 2, that is Google's opinion of your site.

To answer your other question, yes, messing with the title can hurt SEO, and for an effect like a scrolling title it certainly isn't worth it.
0 Replies

RammsteinNicCage

Wed 26 Nov, 2003 02:30 pm
Ok, I made the changes and googlebot stopped by a couple of minutes later and checked out the modcp.php page... what exactly is that? Is that something I should block bots from? Are there certain forum files that I should disallow in a robots.txt file? Also, if bandwidth considerations become important, would it be possible to limit the spider to just a couple of sections within the forum, say /forum/viewforum.php?f=1 and /forum/viewforum.php?f=2, but not 3 and 4?

Jennifer
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Thu 27 Nov, 2003 11:49 pm
Again One question..
Does the PR effects that how many pages of your site will be crawled by google??
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 28 Nov, 2003 12:02 am
RammsteinNicCage wrote:
Ok, I made the changes and googlebot stopped by a couple of minutes later and checked out the modcp.php page... what exactly is that?

Bots will occasionally try to check pages they shouldn't. As long as your phpbb authentication is working (it probably is) it's no big deal.

Quote:
Is that something I should block bots from?

I would.

Quote:
Are there certain forum files that I should disallow in a robots.txt file?

Definitely. I consider the robots.txt to be very important. What you block depends on what you want to have spidered and what you don't.

I will write a tutorial about this soon.

Quote:
Also, if bandwidth considerations become important, would it be possible to limit the spider to just a couple of sections within the forum, say /forum/viewforum.php?f=1 and /forum/viewforum.php?f=2, but not 3 and 4?

Using the robots.txt you can't. Some spiders won't consider the queries and you might end up excluding pages you want indexed.

You could use meta tags (no index, no follow) for certain forum pages, but it would be messy.

Try disallowing all your image folders with robots.txt, that could help cut down on most of the bandwidth.

RickyJaff wrote:
Again One question..
Does the PR effects that how many pages of your site will be crawled by google??

Yes, it will affect both how many pages are crawlled and how many pages are indexed. But it isn't the only factor.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Fri 28 Nov, 2003 09:23 am
Ok.. Now i am seeing that all major search engine spiders visit my site on alternate dayz.. All are just fetching few kb of data.. (30-200kb) so does this mean i will get my indexed pages changed in few weeks ??

B'cause i have not seen any changes in the pages indexed of my site in various search engines..
One more thing.. I am not yet indexed in all the web and altavista but i see their bots on my sites weblog.. Does this mean i will also get indexed in these two in few time >>> ??
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 29 Nov, 2003 07:43 am
RickyJaff wrote:
Ok.. Now i am seeing that all major search engine spiders visit my site on alternate dayz.. All are just fetching few kb of data.. (30-200kb) so does this mean i will get my indexed pages changed in few weeks ??

Not really, it just means they visited and spidered, whether they index or not depends on their criteria.

Quote:
B'cause i have not seen any changes in the pages indexed of my site in various search engines..

Most search engines do not update within days. Most take over a month so you will need to be patient. In any case they might not index your pages at all.

Quote:
One more thing.. I am not yet indexed in all the web and altavista but i see their bots on my sites weblog.. Does this mean i will also get indexed in these two in few time >>> ??

No, it just means their bots have visited you. Whether they index your site or not depends on them.

They might (probably at least a few pages) but they won't do so immediately.

I've said this many times but it's important: search engines can easily take over a month to update their indexes.

So I don't expect to answer these questions for at least a month. Give them time to update and be patient. Asking me over and over will not speed up the process, there is nothing to do but wait.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Sat 29 Nov, 2003 08:22 am
Quote:
So I don't expect to answer these questions for at least a month. Give them time to update and be patient. Asking me over and over will not speed up the process, there is nothing to do but wait.

well !! i kno .. but every time i asked little different thing..
Quote:
Most search engines do not update within days. Most take over a month so you will need to be patient. In any case they might not index your pages at all.
Well cavern.. Hotbot has updated my page in 2 dayz.. it .. b'cause when i applied ur mode.. my forums title was "index" then i asked you how to change .. then i changed it 2 dayz ago and now the updated page is there b'casue earlier it was showing the title as index and now it is showing "My forum name" ..
This tells me that there is nothing by which you can kno that when your pages are going to be indexed..
Ok. Thanx for ur reply...
0 Replies

993ti

Sat 29 Nov, 2003 12:47 pm
Just installed the mod and Google is coming around once a day but seems to like the guestbook (phpBB mod) only Confused

Mod installed with no problems though (phpBB 2.0.4).

Grtz
0 Replies

993ti

Sat 29 Nov, 2003 01:23 pm
Btw, is this reliable to check if everything works?

It spiders the pages like Google does (that's what it says):
http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 29 Nov, 2003 05:18 pm
993ti,

I suggest using robots.txt to block bots from pages like the guestbook etc. BTW, guestbooks are considered tacky and amateurish, and because of a trick called "guestbook spam" (posting entries to other people's guestbooks to gain backlinks) the search engines don't usually like guestbooks anyway, so it usually won't hurt to keep them out of them.
0 Replies

993ti

Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:35 am
Thx, i'll try that.
I don't know if i got this correctly but should the robots.txt be something like this:
No access to folders:
Code:
Disallow: /admin/

No access to files:
Code:
Disallow: /config.php

I saw some sites that say you don't need the / in front of the folders and files.
Bit confused with the robots.txt Embarrassed

Grtz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:42 pm
That would be correct if the forum is in the root directory.

The robots.txt file needs to be in the root directory (a subdomain's directory is a root directory BTW).

I recommend using a beginning and trailing slash for directories and a beginning slash for files.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Sun 30 Nov, 2003 11:07 pm
Hi..
The link about proodle gave me lots of errors on my site.. see below..

Edit (Moderator): Link removed.

Are these normal ??? i m quite confused!!
0 Replies