phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
It likely would, upon any human review.
0 Replies

joefish only one

Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:43 pm
I'm sorry if my question has already been answered - but I certainly don't have time to read through 90 or so pages to find it (I did look through the first few and the last few though).

I'm especially interested in removing SIDs from my site so that guests don't see them, however about 4 or so of the individual forums on my boards allow guest posting, and I don't want to stop guests from posting in these areas! (I know that they can still post if they allow cookies, but I don't want to to stop them if they don't).

The key to the forums in question is allowing people to post anonymously. If there was some way (a mod perhaps) that I could use to allow people to post anonymously (eg, their username wouldn't show up) but they still had to be logged in, then this would be an acceptable way around my problem.

Are you able to offer any advice or help?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:01 am
Guests can post as long as they allow cookies, if not they would need URL SIDs and you can't have your cake and eat it in this case.
0 Replies

molotov

Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:48 am
hi all.

i am new to the SEO scene so bare with me. Craven, as an amateur, i thank you for making available this SEO information and your experience with all of this. I installed the Able2Know.com Search Engine Optimization 2.0.0 mod as well as the dynamic/static url mod. I got rid of SIDs but I was still getting what looked like dynamic urls, but definately not the static ones that were shown in examples:

/viewtopic.php?t=1136

I have the mod_rewrite installed so that shouldn't be a problem, and because i am so new at all of this, i don't know how to troubleshoot. Also, after i installed the SEO optimization mod it looked like it worked fine for logged in members, but as a guest i would get error messages when trying to view a 1.)forum or 2.)topic. they show up like this;

1.) /forum-2.html

2.) /post-24037.html#24037

I tried searching able2know but i couldn't get any results out of the search function (and being aware of phpbb.com's search function i tried to be as specific as i could).

(my apologies if the above counts as a link)

edit: hmmm i think i restored a wrong file or something, now my forums and threads are not updating correctly as being viewed. When i view a forum or thread, it shows up as still unread, and when i post in a thread, it shows up as a new post.
0 Replies

molotov

Sat 11 Dec, 2004 09:14 am
"bump" and another problem, i noticed that as a guest, i get errors when trying to view forums.

arg, i think i'll just have to go back over the install file and undo everything manually, then retry.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:06 pm
You might not have mod_rewrite available to you on your server.

Ask your host or server administrator.
0 Replies

molotov

Sat 11 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
You might not have mod_rewrite available to you on your server.

Ask your host or server administrator.

i thought so as well, but i triple checked. is it possible that it is installed, but not 'available' for my account? when i was double-checking i was talking to tech-support at iPower (>:[) and they assured me that it was installed, but did not say anything about not being available to me.

this is from the phpinfo.php on the server my site is hosted on:
http://molotov.jongartman.net/images/mod_rewrite.png
0 Replies

joefish only one

Sat 11 Dec, 2004 07:22 pm
The seo part of the mod won't apply correctly with easymod. I'm using a fresh phpBB install. Easymod complains:

Quote:
Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [index.php] could not find:

'<a href="' . append_sid("profile.$phpEx?mode=viewprofile&" . POST_USERS_URL . '=' . $forum_data[$j]['user_id']) . '">' . $forum_data[$j]['username'] . '</a> ';

MOD script line #91 :: FAQ :: Report

I did this bit manually and then removed it from the mod file, and then it get's stuck on the next bit...

OK, so I'm capable of doing it all manually, but then the point of easymod is that you don't have to.
0 Replies

joefish only one

Sat 11 Dec, 2004 08:58 pm
Ok,

The reason it doesn't work with easymod is because changes aren't made in order through the files.

Anyway, I installed it manually, and the changes seemed to be working. I blocked all cookies from my domain (both mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com, just to make sure).

When I browse around as a guest, I don't see any SIDs appended to the URLs. However, I can still post as a guest. Why? (I did remove all cookies from my system first).
0 Replies

husker

Sat 11 Dec, 2004 11:43 pm
you ever look at the views on this topic? amazing
0 Replies

husker

Sat 11 Dec, 2004 11:44 pm
it has to be one of the most viewed here on a2k ??
spiders?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:28 pm
molotov,

1) Make a simple mod_rewrite test and if it works you have eliminated one possibility.

2) Check the modification you made, ifit is all correct you eliminate another.

joefish_only_one wrote:

The reason it doesn't work with easymod is because changes aren't made in order through the files.

OK, so I'm capable of doing it all manually, but then the point of easymod is that you don't have to.

I have no desire to support Easy Mod. I believe in knowing what you are doing and there is one instructuion (the lang file modification) that an automated solution simply would not be able to perform adequately.

Automation is no substitute for adept modifcation and for this reason I don't go out of my way to format my code for easy mod.

Quote:

When I browse around as a guest, I don't see any SIDs appended to the URLs. However, I can still post as a guest. Why? (I did remove all cookies from my system first).

This mod's purpose is not to restrict guest posting. If guest posting works, that's great!

Husker,

No, it is not because of spiders.
0 Replies

esljunction

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 01:39 am
a few problems with seo mod
Craven,

I have installed your seo and static mods. I am having a few problems though and hope that you can point me in the right direction to fixing them.

I installed the static page mod first......then realised that this was the worng way to do it! So I then installed the seo mod. I assume as they both edit different files it won't make too much of a difference, right? or wrong?

Now, the problems I have are

1: everything looks fine on the index and forum pages..great! but when I look at a topic e.g. forum/about3959.html my overall header dissapears, as do the background colors. all I get is a white page with the post on it...hope that makes sense.

2: also in the topic pages. My title bar (the blue one at the top of browser) shows the address of my site and not the topic title eg. http://www.mysite/jobs/about3959.html

3: I get an error at the bottom of the page that says:

Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: replace_for_mod_rewrite() in /var/www/html/jobs/includes/page_tail.php on line 53

Although it only appears on some topic pages.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 01:57 am
You have probably made mistakes when applying the mod.
0 Replies

esljunction

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:13 am
do you have any idea which mod it would have been? the seo mod or the static page mod? Would it have made a difference that I did the seo mod after the static mod? Do you have any ideas of which part of the mod I screwed up on?

Thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:32 am
From what you describe and from what I have seen there are few places where errors were not made.

I think you should restore your backups and apply the changes again (or get some one adept at PHP to do so for you).
0 Replies

esljunction

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:14 am
Thanks

Found out where the problem was. In viewtopic.php I had used find and replaced and it had moved a couple of line up so the were preceeded by //

Thanks anyway....sorry to be a pain in the proverbial.
0 Replies

esljunction

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:16 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
From what you describe and from what I have seen there are few places where errors were not made.

were there other errors I haven't noticed then?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:19 am
Yes, many. But unfortunately I will not have time to audit your site for you.
0 Replies

Trust

Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:03 am
Work with new version?
This mod sounds like what I need for my phpbb forum board. I recently upgraded to version phpBB 2.0.11 will this mod work with this new version?

Thanks!
0 Replies