phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

found it

Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:10 am
hi i just wanted to say wow what a great site...and could anyone help me with a small problem.

i have a php forum and i incorporated the optimizer mod but i have a html index page and for some reason it spiders my index page fine, shows the link to the forum but doesn't spider the forum unless u click the link....

I hope i explained that right..
Any help would be gratefully appreciated

ty
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:45 pm
Your query doesn't really make sense. What spider are you talking about that is triggered by "clicking the link"?
0 Replies

Joe Belmaati

Wed 10 Nov, 2004 01:24 am
Craven,
quick q. Would google or any other SE frown upon pages with links to all topics on other servers than the actual site? (I.e. domain.com/forum/ = actual site - shadowdomain.com/index.html = links to all topics in domain.com/forum/)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 10 Nov, 2004 01:56 am
It could get flagged as a doorway page, and without unique content would probably be downgraded pretty sharply by search engines.
0 Replies

kirtok

Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:11 am
I've installed your mod-rewrite mod and it works great. But I have checked my statistics today, search engines started catching static pages, but there's a problem. Even though this is my static URL structure:
forums: domain.com/community/forum-1.html
topics : domain.com/community/ecommerce9.html
and I have also added the site map (from this topic I found).
Now at the statistics I see a lot of other static urls such as:
/community/ntopic850.html
/community/topic-7-0-50.html
Also as an example
/community/topic-7-0-100.html and
/community/forum-7.html
shows exactly the same page. And I am afraid it would count as a duplicate content for search engines. What would be the reason to cause multiple static urls for same pages?
Only things I've changed in the mod are my forum name: community and used ecommerce for topics' static urls.
my domain (if needed to check) : Edit (Moderator): Link removed
Thanks in advance for your helps.
Matt
0 Replies

LocanT

Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:25 pm
After more than 6 months All Google does with mine is index the forums

not a single topic has been indexed by name just useless stuff like

www.abc.com/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=1

or
www.abc.com/phpBB2/post-9486.html

so I am no where in google (though I have plenty of links)

Yet in yahoo I am number 1 for the search term

I followed exactly the robots text (only adapting as above for topic or forum name)

I was also wondering if it was the robot text it does not like and if it is counting it as double content

here is the text if you can see anything obviously wrong I would be gratefull for you to tell me.
Quote:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /phpBB2/admin/
Disallow: /phpBB2/db/
Disallow: /phpBB2/images/
Disallow: /phpBB2/includes/
Disallow: /phpBB2/language/
Disallow: /phpBB2/templates/
Disallow: /phpBB2/common.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/config.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/groupcp.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/memberlist.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/modcp.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/posting.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/profile.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/privmsg.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/viewonline.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/faq.php
Disallow: /phpBB2/post-*.html$
Disallow: /phpBB2/updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /phpBB2/stop-updates-topic.html*$
Disallow: /phpBB2/ptopic*.html$
Disallow: /phpBB2/ntopic*.html$

I do not understand how to replace the wild card with the exact file then to exclude
0 Replies

propagandhi

Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:13 am
is there a version of phpbb that is compatible with this seo but also have a front page portal type thing (not that dissimilar from the able2know one), a place where you can put latest news etc but still have it optomised for search engines, i assume you can, can anyone point me in the right direction to download a version that will s8uit my needs?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:57 pm
LocanT wrote:
After more than 6 months All Google does with mine is index the forums

From what you describe, Google simply doesn't rank your site as worthy of spidering.

What's your home page's pagerank?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:58 pm
kirtok wrote:

shows exactly the same page. And I am afraid it would count as a duplicate content for search engines. What would be the reason to cause multiple static urls for same pages?

There are different ways of arriving at the pages because of the way the navigation works.

Google just tends to downgrade one of the pages, and it doesn't hurt overall ranking.
0 Replies

propagandhi

Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:05 pm
anyone?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:58 pm
propagandhi wrote:
is there a version of phpbb that is compatible with this seo but also have a front page portal type thing (not that dissimilar from the able2know one)

In one word, no.

But I plan to release code for it when I get the chance. I use fetch all asthe basis for my code, in case you can't wait.
0 Replies

kirtok

Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
I've installed SEO mod (static URL's) and also created a site map page with static URL's. Here's my question: I use fetchall to display latest topics on my home page and they have dynamic URL's, how can I make them also have static URL's? If I add .htaccess to the homepage root directory also, will it work? since right now .htaccess is under domain.com/community/ and my home page is domain.com/index.php Any suggestions?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:02 pm
kirtok wrote:
I use fetchall to display latest topics on my home page and they have dynamic URL's, how can I make them also have static URL's?

Edit the code to generate static urls.

Quote:
If I add .htaccess to the homepage root directory also, will it work?

Presumably, the forum links are going to your forum directory, so if the.htaccess file is working there it will continue to work.

If you want the fetch all pagination to be statis then you'd need wholly different rewrite rules.

Eventually I'll release all of that.
0 Replies

protesto

Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:47 am
Hi Craven,

I've installed your mod with static url mod and it works very well. But Google has indexed only my main page. I think this is because of using a portal page instead of index.php as my main page. So which differences should I make to correct it ?

Is adding 'RewriteRule ^forums.* portal.php [L,NC]' to htaccces enough for it ?

One more question, is google indexing links on overall_header menu? I have link on that menu, that is pointed to a html file. But it is not indexed.

Regards..
0 Replies

protesto

Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:19 pm
Hi again,

I think I made the corrections for my portal, its working.

My new problem is with extensions.

I made following changes for my news files on page_header :

Code:
"'(?<!/)news_viewnews.php'",
"'(?<!/)news_viewnews.php\?news_id=([0-9]*)&start=([0-9]*)'",

"newsposts.html",
"newsposts\\1-\\2.html",

Then on htaccess:

Code:
RewriteRule ^newsposts.html news_viewnews.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^newsposts([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).html news_viewnews.php?news_id=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]

But I still have a link like this :

Code:http://www.email-x.net/newsposts.html?news_id=0&start=5

I have a link on overall_header with the file name 'news_viewnews.php'. It looks like an html file. But the one with news_id still have the same extension after 'html' : 'newsposts.html?news_id=0&start=5'

How can I use both of the codes?

Sorry for my englisj, hope you can understand...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:38 pm
Protesto,

I can't support other people's code. Perhaps you could ask the author of the portal you use.
0 Replies

protesto

Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:24 am
Ok, I understand, but the problem above is not about my portal, it'S about rewrite rule. Couldn't you just tell me how can I solve the problem with viewnews.php?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 18 Nov, 2004 01:42 am
I don't know how to solve your problems as I have never seen the portal code you use. And as I said, I can't support other people's code at the moment (and am thusly not interested in seeing said code).

Supporting my code already keeps me busy enough. And trying to support other mod author's code (some of which I find not worthy of use) only delays me from progress in releasing and supporting code I have to release.

For example, I plan to release some portal code, and should dedicate my time to this, and not to learning other people's portal code.
0 Replies

propagandhi

Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:32 pm
hi there,

is there going to be this mod written for the new version of phpbb? The announcements on the phpbb.com forum state major security issues for people using 2.0.6
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:58 pm
The lastest version of phpbb is not incompatible with this mod.
0 Replies