phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

AfterHim

Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:58 pm
Ok, i'll try it fresh and let you know how it goes.
0 Replies

AfterHim

Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:27 pm
I just downloaded the newest version of phpbb...maybe that is a problem.

I can find this code in the index.php:

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

'<a href="' . append_sid("profile.$phpEx?mode=viewprofile&" . POST_USERS_URL . '=' . $forum_data[$j]['user_id']) . '">' . $forum_data[$j]['username'] . '</a> ';

#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------
#

$forum_data[$j]['username'];
0 Replies

AfterHim

Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
BTW, I didn't read all 88 pages of this thread, so maybe it's been asked.

Why don't you package all of your updated files...you wouldn't have to answer questions like this, and your guaranteed that people will add your footer link to their footer...sounds like a win, win.
0 Replies

alycad

Sun 24 Oct, 2004 06:21 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
alycad wrote:

I finished install this mod right know. My question is that if this requierements are correct?

Se voce esta com um forum phpBB funcionando voce ja pode installar o primeiro parte deste modificacão.

O parte que muda os URLs para URLs com extencão de .html necessita accesso ao mod_rewrite, que voce não confirmou.

O jeito mas facil de saber se voce pode utilizar mod_rewrite é intsllar o codigo de .htaccess que providenciei é depois vai para o directorio do seu forum e ve se forums.html mostra o conteudo do index.php

I have tried mydomain dot com dash forum dash forums.html and the index.php appears Wink It mean that the mod rewrite is working fine

All other stuff is ok, no problems.

But i havent understand how the mod works... what should happen if it is well instaled...

Should i google my domain? will the posts appear? even if i have my foruns unvisible to guests?

Thank you for your portugueses answers :p

Alvaro Martins
Portugal
0 Replies

Brian D

Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
A little guidance...
I installed the SEO and mod_rewrite mod about a month ago. Everything is working brilliantly, except I'm still getting SIDs for guest users. I've been through the SEO mod code 3 times and am sure I haven't missed anything to obvious.

The good news is that Google really liked the mod_rewrite mod and is spidering the forum like crazy (although displaying the SID in the SERPS), but Yahoo slurps the rest of the site but won't come near the forum.

Any hint's on what I may have overlooked would be greatly appreciated, as I'm seriously at a loss. I'm running phpBB 2.0.6 and a copy of the mods downloaded about 2 months ago.

Much thanks for the help!

Brian
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:24 pm
AfterHim wrote:
I just downloaded the newest version of phpbb...maybe that is a problem.

Nope, I have installed this on the latest version many times without a hitch.

Quote:
I can find this code in the index.php:

#
#

'<a href="' . append_sid("profile.$phpEx?mode=viewprofile&" . POST_USERS_URL . '=' . $forum_data[$j]['user_id']) . '">' . $forum_data[$j]['username'] . '</a> ';

#
#

$forum_data[$j]['username'];

I suppose you mean you cna't find it. With long finds this sometimes happens, just search for smaller strings and you can usually find it.

AfterHim wrote:
BTW, I didn't read all 88 pages of this thread, so maybe it's been asked.

Why don't you package all of your updated files...you wouldn't have to answer questions like this, and your guaranteed that people will add your footer link to their footer...sounds like a win, win.

Maybe one day I will. But if so, there would be more than just my SEO mods, I'd include my useability changes etc.

Thing is, the phpbb is not too fond of such "pre-modded" packages, and neither am I.

So it'll have to be for more compelling reasons than just a footer link (e.g. enough people would find it helpful).

alycad wrote:

But i havent understand how the mod works... what should happen if it is well instaled...

A lot of things should happen, but the main two parts are no url sessions for guests and static urls for guests.

Quote:
Should i google my domain? will the posts appear?

This just makes the forums accessible and more appealing to Google's spider (and other spiders).

It doesn't mean they will index it. Just that they now can more easily.

Quote:
even if i have my foruns unvisible to guests?

If this is the case, SEO for the forum is usually pointless.

Quote:
Thank you for your portugueses answers :p

De nada.

Brian_D wrote:
I installed the SEO and mod_rewrite mod about a month ago. Everything is working brilliantly, except I'm still getting SIDs for guest users. I've been through the SEO mod code 3 times and am sure I haven't missed anything to obvious.

The good news is that Google really liked the mod_rewrite mod and is spidering the forum like crazy (although displaying the SID in the SERPS), but Yahoo slurps the rest of the site but won't come near the forum.

Any hint's on what I may have overlooked would be greatly appreciated, as I'm seriously at a loss. I'm running phpBB 2.0.6 and a copy of the mods downloaded about 2 months ago.

Much thanks for the help!

Brian

The sessions portion is the only part of the mod that alters includes/sessions.php

Make sure that was done properly.
0 Replies

Ablistical

Tue 26 Oct, 2004 04:57 pm
I am using phpBB 2.0.10. I was wondering if it is okay to do everything within this mod except for the ones that use the templates. I dont use subsilver and I am having a hard time finding the right places so before i continue Id like to know if I could just skip those and do the rest. Thank you very much for any advice.
0 Replies

alycad

Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:14 pm
I Again Wink

Im trying to understand correctly this mod.

What is SID?

Should my urls have the .html extension when i enter a forum?
This happens, but only to guests... is this correct?

when i use in google, site: my domain... it only shows 53 results. Most of then from the site ( all pages from the site are displayed and i can search for phrases in google " this is an example" and if the phrase is in the site it will appear the correct page and url ) and few from the forum.. only the foruns description and index page.

Is this normal?

Thanks again, and continue the execelente job with able2know Wink

Alvaro Martins
Portugal
0 Replies

kirtok

Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:18 pm
I have installed a fresh test forum at Edit (Moderator): link removed and went through each step of your mod manually. It is just fantastic, and works great on your site. But mine gives some error when you click on any forum category. Can anybody take a look at it and let me know what I am doing wrong?
.htaccess file is in testforum folder
robots.txt is in root folder of the site.
I spent around 3 hours installing and reading through this thread, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
0 Replies

alycad

Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:38 pm
Sad Sad Sad Sad
0 Replies

hitsusa

Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:55 pm
Can't Decipher Bonehead Error
Hi all,

Did the full list of SEO mods on PHBB Ver 2.0.10 and everything was fine.

Took a break and then noticed that my Site Title on the Index Page was "YOUR SITE NAME" (duh)

Figured it was this change being incorrectly interpreted by bonehead me.

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#

/language/lang_english/lang_main.php

#
#

$lang['Index'] = 'Index';

#
#

$lang['Index'] = 'YOUR SITE NAME';

#
----------------------------------------------------------------

So, I replaced YOUR SITE NAME with my actual forum site name (being careful not to mess up any syntax, etc.)

Site name displayed but got three lines of error code at top of page.

Tried changing back to previous code line, and Title switched back to YOUR SITE NAME, but the errors remained.

Switched code line back to original code, but the errors still remain.

Can't figure out what I did wrong and why the reset of the single code line won't fix the errors.

Any ideas?

Here's how that particular code section looks now: (it's unchanged from the default install code)

//
// Index page
//
$lang['Index'] = 'Index';
$lang['No_Posts'] = 'No Posts';
$lang['No_forums'] = 'This board has no forums';

Here's the three error code lines:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1029) in /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 475

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1029) in /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 477

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1029) in /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 478

Can't figure out why the errors won't go away with this page's ( /language/lang_english/lang_main.php) code back to default.

Anybody have any insight into this bonehead error?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 29 Oct, 2004 12:10 am
Ablistical wrote:
I am using phpBB 2.0.10. I was wondering if it is okay to do everything within this mod except for the ones that use the templates. I dont use subsilver and I am having a hard time finding the right places so before i continue Id like to know if I could just skip those and do the rest. Thank you very much for any advice.

I don't recall off the top of my head of any php-side changes require the template changes. But assuming none do, it shouldn't cause you problems.

However, some of the template changes are very important (e.g. the overall header change, removing next/previous etc).

alycad wrote:

What is SID?

SID = session ID.

Through the use of sessions a lot of the interactivity of forums is possible. For example a logged in user is logged in because they have a live session in the sessions table.

When people refer to session IDs on this thread they are usually talking about URL-based session IDs as those are a great impediment to search engines.

Quote:
Should my urls have the .html extension when i enter a forum?
This happens, but only to guests... is this correct?

Correct, only to logged out users (and since search engine spiders don't log in that means them).

Quote:
when i use in google, site: my domain... it only shows 53 results. Most of then from the site ( all pages from the site are displayed and i can search for phrases in google " this is an example" and if the phrase is in the site it will appear the correct page and url ) and few from the forum.. only the foruns description and index page.

Is this normal?

I don't know. And I can't know, each site's positions in search engines can be different.

Here, I won't be serving as a position consultant. I can only provide code to help you and answer any question you have about SEO principles and procedures.

If I start to answer the "why doesn't google..." questions I will take on more than I have time to. Knowing why you rank where you do involves a carefull following of the site's position, logs and changes.

I can't be a free consultant for each site, so I can only provide code, support code, and answer SEO theoretical questions.

kirtok wrote:
I have installed a fresh test forum at Edit (Moderator): link removed and went through each step of your mod manually. It is just fantastic, and works great on your site. But mine gives some error when you click on any forum category. Can anybody take a look at it and let me know what I am doing wrong?
.htaccess file is in testforum folder
robots.txt is in root folder of the site.
I spent around 3 hours installing and reading through this thread, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

Sounds like mod_rewrite either:

a) was not applied properly

or

b) is not available to you

If you applied it properly (the most common mistake is to neglect to put it in the same directory as the forum) then ask your host if they have mod_rewrite available to you.

hitsusa wrote:

Here's the three error code lines:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1029) in /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 475

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1029) in /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 477

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/language/lang_english/lang_main.php:1029) in /home/fundra2/public_html/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 478

Can't figure out why the errors won't go away with this page's ( /language/lang_english/lang_main.php) code back to default.

Anybody have any insight into this bonehead error?

Some free hosts give these errors because of their server configuration (e.g. lycos is notorious).

But assuming it's not a server-issue make sure there are no blank lines before the php opening and closing tag on that file.
0 Replies

hitsusa

Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
Followup on Bonehead Error
Hi,

Not using a free host, so that's not the problem. Double checked opening and closing tags, but they were fine.

Only changed the one code line relating to index page title after everything else had worked fine for two hours.

Reloaded the page (language/lang_english/lang_main.php) from archive copy, but error messages remain.

Any ideas on something else to check?

Thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:45 am
Download a brand new copy of lang_main.php, apply your changes and test it.
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
site_map: transform php url into html url
Hi all,
ive installed in my site this site map:

Code:
include($phpbb_root_path . 'extension.inc');
include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.'.$phpEx);

$sql = "SELECT count(t.topic_id) as total_spider_topics
FROM " . TOPICS_TABLE . " t, " . FORUMS_TABLE . " f
WHERE f.forum_id = t.forum_id
AND f.auth_view=0";
if( !($result = $db->sql_query($sql)) )
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not query count info', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
}
if ($countrow = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
{
$total_spider_topics = $countrow['total_spider_topics'];
}

if( isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['offset']) || isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['offset']) )
{
$offset = ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['offset']) ) ? intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['offset']) : intval($HTTP_GET_VARS['offset']);
}
else
{
$offset = 0;
}

$sql = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title
AND f.auth_view=0
ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_id DESC
LIMIT $offset, 100";
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not query topic info', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
}
while( $topicrow = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
{
echo '<a href="viewtopic.' . $phpEx . '?' . POST_TOPIC_URL . '=' . $topicrow['topic_id'] . '">' . $topicrow['topic_title'] . '</a><br>';
}

$offset = $offset + 100;
if ( ($total_spider_topics - $offset) > 0 )
{
$new_url = '<a href="' . $_SCRIPT_NAME . '?offset=' . $offset . '">Next</a>';
echo $new_url;
}

?>
</body>
</html>

I would like to know if its possible to transform these urls ( that are STILL in php even if i added the static url mod ) into html like all the other urls in the forum after i installed static url mod.
Thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:13 pm
Yes, it's possible. But I can't support third party code in my mod (as that's open-ended).

Soon I'll release a better sitemap that does work with this mod.
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:32 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Yes, it's possible. But I can't support third party code in my mod (as that's open-ended).

Soon I'll release a better sitemap that does work with this mod.

Here is my site map with html links!
Code:
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
<title>FORUM FASTWEB</title>
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="fastweb ,forum fastweb, server, divx, forum, mp3, share, sharing , lopster, dc++, direct connect, scaricare, download, hub, server, gratis, mac, film, musica, masterizzare, fastweb, fibra,">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="IL FORUM DEGLI UTENTI FASTWEB e dello sharing ad altissima velocita.Tutto sui server fastweb,dc++,lopster,direct connect,emule,hub,film musica giochi programmi e xxx">
<META NAME="abstract" CONTENT="forum fastweb">
<META http-equiv="Content-Language" content="IT">
<META name="Author" content="DAIKAMURA">
<META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="Global">
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="INDEX,FOLLOW">
</head>
<body>
<?php
define('IN_PHPBB', true);
$phpbb_root_path = './';
include($phpbb_root_path . 'extension.inc');
include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.'.$phpEx);

$sql = "SELECT count(t.topic_id) as total_spider_topics
AND f.auth_view=0";
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not query count info', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
}
if ($countrow = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
{
$total_spider_topics = $countrow['total_spider_topics'];
}

if( isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['offset']) || isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['offset']) )
{
$offset = ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['offset']) ) ? intval($HTTP_POST_VARS['offset']) : intval($HTTP_GET_VARS['offset']);
}
else
{
$offset = 0;
}

$sql = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title
AND f.auth_view=0
ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_id DESC
LIMIT $offset, 80";
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not query topic info', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
}
while( $topicrow = $db->sql_fetchrow($result))
{
echo '<a href="about' . $topicrow['topic_id'] . '.html ">' . $topicrow['topic_title'] . '</a><br>';
}

$offset = $offset + 80;
if ( ($total_spider_topics - $offset) > 0 )
{
$new_url = '<a href="' . $_SCRIPT_NAME . '?offset=' . $offset . '">Next</a>';
echo $new_url;
}

?>
<div align="center"><span class="copyright"> <br>
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://daikamura.adultcity.biz/stats/php-stats.js.php"></script>
<noscript> </noscript> </span> </div>
</body>
</html>
0 Replies

KMxRetro

Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:06 am
Unable to view pages of a topic
Edit (Moderator): Links removed. Repost your query without links to your site.
0 Replies

DAIKAMURA

Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:26 pm
Re: Unable to view pages of a topic
ITS VERY VERY probable that u made a misstake editing files..
check the file .htaccess file maybe the misstake is there.

Craven look at all the urls up here!
U have to install my anti external link MOD !
:wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:10 pm
Re: Unable to view pages of a topic
DAIKAMURA wrote:

Craven look at all the urls up here!
U have to install my anti external link MOD !
:wink:

Look at any external URLs, I already have something working that does not transfer pagerank.
0 Replies