phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

Craven de Kere

Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:53 am
celcom wrote:
Does this mod work with phpbb 2.0.10

Yes

Quote:

Suggestion to author
Put info on the mod work on what version of phpbb in the first post Smile

Just because you are too lazy to search for the answer to your question you think I should pre-empt it? :wink:
0 Replies

impactdni

Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:35 pm
Craven, on a side note (not that big of a deal), but on your next release, might want to update the files modified section in the header. You edit more files than it claims =P (again, as if it really matters....)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Sat 21 Aug, 2004 07:00 pm
Really? Which ones am I missing? Remember, if they are static mod ones they should be in the static mod header.
0 Replies

impactdni

Sat 21 Aug, 2004 11:17 pm
Very sorry, not overly familiar with the mod system. Very possible that its perfectly fine (I don't know what this "Static" section is you speak of). I actually just finished my first PHPBB mod today, not hard (allows aligning of images). Just wondering (this is somewhat off topic):

Whats the point of the uid after the tag? Like in the case of images:
Code:[img:########]

When I made the mod, I just added more tags (img=right, and img=left), they completely ignore the uid in tags... Just wondering if they are there for some reason...
0 Replies

BellyBelly

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
Hello!

I have just had the mod installed - thank-you very much! I think my forums still have session ID's though. Can you please tell me how I can tell, or can you please tell me if this means I do have sessions still - it's in the admin panel of current users online which looks like google:

Quote:
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:12 am 23 Aug 2004 08:12 am Birth Announcements 66.196.90.xx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:12 am 23 Aug 2004 08:12 am Logging on 66.196.90.xxx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:12 am 23 Aug 2004 08:12 am Logging on 66.196.90.xxx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:11 am 23 Aug 2004 08:11 am Forum index 66.196.90.xxx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:11 am 23 Aug 2004 08:11 am Your Baby - 1 to 4mths 207.46.98.xx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:10 am 23 Aug 2004 08:10 am Forum index 66.196.90.xxx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:09 am 23 Aug 2004 08:09 am Weight Loss 66.196.90.xxx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am Birth Announcements 66.196.91.xx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am Weight Loss 66.196.90.xxx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am Forum index 66.196.90.xxx
Guest 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am 23 Aug 2004 08:08 am Birth Announcements 66.196.90.xxx

I'm no developer, my husband does it all so I apologise if this is a dumb question.
0 Replies

impactdni

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:00 pm
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:
You will be able to tell if you have session IDs by the following:
1: Session IDs should still be in place for registered users, only guests should have no SIDs.
2: Log out (so you're a guest), and then navigate around, look in the address bar for something like &sid=bc49d075b331412e07e1df502b31ed4... aka, sid=alongstringofnumbers.
0 Replies

BellyBelly

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:09 pm
Thank-you for your reply!

As a guest, all the topics appear to have been changed into .html, it *looks* like everything has worked well from the forums... but when I go into my database where the sessions are, I can see session ID's (3 pages worth when less than a dozen users were online!) of what I think is google - should that still be happening? Like I say, it all appears to have worked well, but I just have a bad feeling about the sessions still going. Right now if you look in the admin panel, I still have many more 'guests' going through the forums from the same IP address. I assumed this wouldn't happen anymore? Or does it do this normally?
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:37 pm
Hi,

I installed this mod long time ago and I need to see which version I have. I need to update it. Could someone please help me figure out which version I have and how to go about updating it.

Thanks
0 Replies

impactdni

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:53 pm
Quote:
As a guest, all the topics appear to have been changed into .html, it *looks* like everything has worked well from the forums... but when I go into my database where the sessions are, I can see session ID's (3 pages worth when less than a dozen users were online!) of what I think is google - should that still be happening? Like I say, it all appears to have worked well, but I just have a bad feeling about the sessions still going. Right now if you look in the admin panel, I still have many more 'guests' going through the forums from the same IP address. I assumed this wouldn't happen anymore? Or does it do this normally?

This mod just removes the SID from the tag in the address bar. The google spider (and other spiders) will continue to crawl your site. But with the .html extensions, and no SIDs, they will have an easier time doing it. This will help your page rank, and better index your site. So the fact that there are spiders crawling is a good thing. If you want to stop spiders from indexing your forums, just use a robots.txt file...
0 Replies

padawan

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 07:56 pm
hullo! just got in from fishing with my kid. hope everyone had a great weekend!

impactdni - you are correct. the telltale sign is the "&sid" in the address. If this is present - that user (or you) has been assigned a unique identifier for their session. The mod removes sid's for those users NOT logged in - and the static add-in mod changes those same pages to html's.

bellybelly - a single user can generate quite a number of requests (or hits) depending on the graphics and contents of the site that needs to be displayed on the user's screen - so that's not something to really panic about. I usually check my traffic via raw access logs and a program called AWStats which also identifies search bots. BTW: googlebot's ip's are usually 64.68.xx.xx and identify themselves in the access logs (available from your host contol panel most likely).

defencetalk - in the download there is a file called "upgrade to 2.0.0 from 1.0.2.txt" that should take care of you. the exact changes Craven would have to summarize - but check that file first and see.
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 08:59 pm
padawan, thank you.

Another question. I would like to add some digits like 000 in front of the default topic name generated by this mod.

Say for example:
topic-2.html

Would become:
topic-000002.html

Thanks Smile
0 Replies

BellyBelly

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:12 pm
padawan - thank-you! Our host recently got awstats, had it for a couple of weeks and it is much better than other stats we've had. So even if in my database it is showing these sessions, it is okay? I checked my links for the forums on google last night and it had over 6,000 already, so will be great to see how the new changes come through. I generally get indexed every day and deep crawled every month, about mid month.
0 Replies

padawan

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:49 pm
defencetalk- I haven't seen anyone trying to do that, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea. I could sit down and make some code for it - but it could interfere with an upgrade or mod later on down the road. I personally get a little paranoid playing with post id's or user names in the databases - as these are truly the heartbeat of the forum and the end result to a search engine.

bellybelly - kewl site! if you're talking about the phpbb_sessions in the database - that should be a self maintaining table that can be cleared out from time to time if you're having session problems. that's there so that your vast amount of visitors don't step on each other when posting. if your talking about something else - let me know.
0 Replies

BellyBelly

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:54 pm
padawan - Thank-you! The problem with my sessions in the database is the whole reason I looked for such a mod (I had no idea about other benefits!) - every deep crawl means I religiously have to wake up in the morning having to clear sessions so users can access my site. So every month, I have to manually remove all of them - it takes up everything! Needless to say it's very frustrating for members and myself - sometimes that can't access it from the evening until I get up and fix it.
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:11 pm
hmm, well the reason i asked is because of the way google crawls our news page. Anyway, its okay.

I have updated the mod on our website.

thanks
0 Replies

padawan

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:43 pm
bellybelly - sent you a pm to help you automate your sessions issue - but the SEO mod has REALLY helped keep mine down (though I'm not as busy as yours yet - I can see how it could be a problem).

defensetalk - no prob. hope all goes well and you get tons of hits.
0 Replies

impactdni

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 10:54 pm
Alrighty, mine is working... I found my problem, and its very odd... I was looking through my provider's docs on htaccess (very few), but found the piece i needed..
after RewriteEngine on, i needed to add:
RewriteBase /
or.. in the case of my forums...
RewriteBase /forum/
everything worked fine after that...
Hopefully that will help someone...
0 Replies

padawan

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:12 pm
good find imactdni! I never even thought of needing that! It has to do with the host server actually...

The RewriteBase explicitly sets the base URL for per-directory rewrites. If your webserver's URLs are not directly related to physical file paths, you have to use RewriteBase in every .htaccess files where you want to use RewriteRule directives.

glad you got it working and sharing your solution!
0 Replies

impactdni

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 11:29 pm
np, hopefully it will fix someone else's problem =P
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:03 am
Well, why is that when i see "who is online" block I only see # of Ips but when clicking on ADMIN INDEX it shows long list of guest IPs? Is that normal?

thanks
0 Replies