phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

impactdni

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:40 am
nope, no limitations...
Root stuff works fine...
PMing.
0 Replies

padawan

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
impact - took a look and sent you a response, your SID's are still showing up, so the static part won't work until SID's are removed.

the static urls mod requires the session id's to be removed (the first part of the SEO mod). Once the first part of the mod has been installed and tested, THEN back up and make the phpBB static URLs mod _rewrite 1.0.0.txt changes.

also - you can have seperate .htaccess files for each 'root' folder - consider a 'root' as one that would include an index file. (ie: forum, links, and such) and break the permissions up for each section, but keeping any custom 401 or 404 customizing in the primary root.
0 Replies

impactdni

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:26 pm
why would the mod need installed...
If I'm thinking of mod_rewrite correctly why wouldn't a line like
Code:RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]

Would just turn /{FORUM_PATH}/forums.* into /{FORUM_PATH}/index.php
aka, the mod should have nothing to do with it...
If i typed in (my forum path is /forum/) /forum/forums.html or /forum/forums.php it should rewrite it to forums/index.php
Shouldn't have anything to do with the mod...

Or am I missing something?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:35 pm
impactdni.

Ask your host if you have acess to mod_rewrite. It's not always available on shared hosts.
0 Replies

impactdni

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:26 pm
I do. I have a htaccess in my root folder that works fine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:27 pm
impactidni,

.htaccess != mod_rewrite
0 Replies

impactdni

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:53 pm
I should have clarified that...
I have an htaccess in my root directory running mod_rewrite, and it works fine =P
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:04 pm
If you PM me within a few minutes (going offline in a bit) with ftp info (temporary passwords, I do not want access to a real password), I'll have a look.
0 Replies

impactdni

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:30 pm
Sorry, takes quite a while to get a temp FTP account set up....
No one answered my one question.. Shouldn't the mod_rewrite section at least give me a forum page without the mod applied (the SEO mod)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:33 pm
Yes it should. Unless you forgot to turn on the rewrite engine the code should work.
0 Replies

impactdni

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:47 pm
nope, rewrite engine is on...
Just wondering (tried both ways)
Will turning the rewriteengine on in my root (/) enable it for my /forum?
Or would I have to enable it again in the htaccess in /forum? (again, i tried it with and without turning it on (in the forum)).

Another thing. Although I can't get the mod to work, I would like to say thanks anyway. It looks like a great mod, and i'm sure others have, but I would like to say "thanks".
-Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:56 pm
impactdni wrote:

Will turning the rewriteengine on in my root (/) enable it for my /forum?

I don't think so. It's not like it's a machine to be turned on, that code gets parsed on each http request.

Quote:
Or would I have to enable it again in the htaccess in /forum? (again, i tried it with and without turning it on (in the forum)).

Yes you would.

See, this is how the .htaccess works.

Say, I access site.com/subdir/subsub/

First, it will look for an .htaccess in subsub, then subdir, then root.

If it finds any, it will use it first and it cascades up the path.

Quote:
Another thing. Although I can't get the mod to work, I would like to say thanks anyway. It looks like a great mod, and i'm sure others have, but I would like to say "thanks".
-Thanks.

My pleasure. If you get the info to me, I'll have a look (might be tomorrow or even later, depends on when I get it, and when I have free time).
0 Replies

impactdni

Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:26 am
so i know what to give.. I assume you need access to the forum directory, root as well? or just forum?
I haven't applied the SEO mod yet, heard a friend was having some trouble with the htaccess piece, so I figured I would make sure that worked first before adding the mod (only to have to restore the backup). Or would you like me to try adding the mod myself real quick (sometime tomorrow) and see if that somehow magically resolves the problem?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 19 Aug, 2004 12:36 am
No need to install the mod first, I just want to test the rewriting.

Forum access should be enough, but I'd like to be able to look at the root .htaccess as well.
0 Replies

impactdni

Thu 19 Aug, 2004 09:40 am
alrighty... I'll set up an FTP account today an PM you the name/pass...
0 Replies

impactdni

Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:01 am
Well, I'm extremely sorry for all that trouble. I found my problem... Just randomly thought "hey, could that be the problem", and sure enough it was...

Dunno what the rules are for posting links to your site here, i'll try not to piss off an admin and just use ai.net for my site... (not the real site).

My root folder (as given by my hosting provider) is / (obviously).
My website's root folder I set to /AI/ (in case I wanted to have multiple sites on the same hosting account, each could have a folder).
I had my original htaccess (that was working fine for mod_rewrite) in / .
It didn't occur to me that /forums/ (when accessing from a website) was actually /AI/forums/.
I tried moving my htaccess to the website root (/AI/), and then it only worked when from the website I went to ai.net/AI/(mod_rewrite rule).
Now, I'm still having slight problems, but I think i'm going to restructure the website directory tree a bit, and see if that will solve the problems...

I'll be back to let you guys know how it went.. Thanks for the help =P
0 Replies

padawan

Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:08 pm
Hey guys - back. Thanks Craven. Some idiot upstream from me decided to cut the cable line. got service back today, but am just now able to catch up to all the emails and stuff. (sigh)

but in response to that - I wouldn't think it mattered what your tree was. Since the htaccess was looking for anything "...forums", one could put the forums 7 layers deep and it'd still work. But I'm hardly a wiz at this, so I can could be wrong. That's just how I interpret the manual. Maybe this?

Code:RewriteRule ^forums.* forums/index.php [L,NC]

and have you tried adding?
Code:Options FollowSymLinks

right before the RewriteEngine On ? I've heard some apache servers need that.

just a thought.
0 Replies

impactdni

Thu 19 Aug, 2004 11:23 pm
Ill try the symlinks... would it be needed in the root? or in the forums htaccess?... I'll try both =P
0 Replies

impactdni

Fri 20 Aug, 2004 01:32 pm
I still haven't tried the symlinks, but I'm pretty sure it would be the discrepancies between Root Directory (/), and Web's Root Directory (/AI/). When I put my htaccess (normally in /) into /AI/, the rules only worked when I accessed via ai.net/AI/(rewriterule)... Leading me to believe something is going on there.. Again, ill try both and report back.
0 Replies

celcom

Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:50 am
Does this mod work with phpbb 2.0.10

Suggestion to author
Put info on the mod work on what version of phpbb in the first post Smile
0 Replies