phpBB Search Engine Optimization - Sessions, static ( SEO )

propagandhi

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm
there are some parts of the replacing text tasks that i cannot find, if you miss out one of these does it mean that it will not work????
0 Replies

propagandhi

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:40 pm
btw, i'm using phpbb 1.3++
0 Replies

impactdni

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:44 pm
might be time to upgrade to PHPBB2.0.10 =P
0 Replies

padawan

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:12 pm
propagandhi - the mod was written for 2.0.6 or higher. You can scan this thread (as suggested in the mod's header) for earlier versions. But essentially - yes. I highly recommend upgrading though.

Defencetalk - I'm not sure I follow. The forum's page of who's online does not show ip's - only the admin panel. And if you are seeing several guests all browsing your forum - chances are the SEO mod is working and check your access logs for more detail.
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
Well,

Quote:
In total there are 16 users online :: 5 Registered, 2 Hidden and 9 Guests

That is whats shown to user when they login but once I click ADMIN Panel, on admin index it shows like 100 guests browsing. Is That normal? If so, why arent 100 guests or total # of guests shown in the "who is online" block on index.php page of the forum?

ANother issue I have is that now hotlinking protection is gone. People can hotlink pictures on our website. Could the .htaccess file be the cause of this. I would assume it is. How can this mod and hotlink protection co-exist?

Thanks
0 Replies

impactdni

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:13 pm
all hotlinking is done through the .htaccess files... And yes, both should still be possible. However you would need to make htem work together (dont have both in front of me right now)
0 Replies

propagandhi

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 02:30 pm
my forum is based in 2.06:

Powered by phpBB2 Plus 1.3 based on phpBB 2.0.6 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:08 pm
Well, the hotlinking has stopped working. I don't know why.

Also another issue is that SIDs are still attached to the link after the user logs out:

forums/defenceforum-2.html&sid=236d64d4b7cc3f0c8b104dce0fd78a02

But the SID goes away after a refresh or clinking on the forum link.

I can create a test account if someone is willing to see what its like.

Thank You.
0 Replies

padawan

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:15 pm
Defencetalk wrote:
why arent 100 guests or total # of guests shown in the "who is online" block on index.php page of the forum?

I would assume they are from the same IP but in seperate areas of the forum (ie bots) - The index page should summarize your visitors (like me popping in and having 10 windows open. Your index will show one, but your admin will show 10 since that's what I'm doing). Also sent you a pm on an article to check out about hotlink protection - might help your situation - but this thread is for the SEO mod support.

I also checked your site - and got no SId's - so it's working. And yes, a refresh would be required on some browsers after logout so the browser 'remembers' to drop the session. dunno why - but it's a browser thing.

propagandhi wrote:
Powered by phpBB2 Plus 1.3

those forums are highly modified versions of the vanilla install that include several mods - so yes - you will see dramatic differences in the code. check with phpbb2.de if they have a version that includes Craven's mod.
0 Replies

Defencetalk

Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:08 pm
Thank You.
0 Replies

propagandhi

Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
so even if i missed out just a few sections of the modification (one or two), it still won't work?
0 Replies

Raybman

Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:50 pm
Requested URL /forum/forum-1.html was not found
After installing this mod I now get a 404 error,
"Requested URL /forum/forum-1.html was not found"
when I click on any of the forum headers.

Howver, the forum appears to function normal while I am logged in.

I followed all of the steps for the Able2know.com SEO 2.0.0 and the phpBB Static URLs Mod_rewrite 1.0.0

Link to site:
Edit: Moderator: Do not link to your site.

And I am using phpBB 2.0.8a

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Ray
0 Replies

nacho45

Tue 24 Aug, 2004 02:08 pm
Hey there!

I've been using parts of your Mod for quite awhile now to great success.

I just realized though, that all my pages and topics that go to Page 2 and beyond are no longer accessible. In other words, If you hit 2, 3, or Next or whatever, it just goes back to the same page.

Which part of the code is the edit to fix this?

Thanks!
0 Replies

Raybman

Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:10 pm
Re: Requested URL /forum/forum-1.html was not found
Raybman wrote:
After installing this mod I now get a 404 error,
"Requested URL /forum/forum-1.html was not found"
when I click on any of the forum headers.

Howver, the forum appears to function normal while I am logged in.

I followed all of the steps for the Able2know.com SEO 2.0.0 and the phpBB Static URLs Mod_rewrite 1.0.0

Link to site:
Edit: Moderator: Do not link to your site.

And I am using phpBB 2.0.8a

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Ray

Solved my own problem...
I needed to put .htaccess file in the Forum root directory, I had it in the site root directory.

Live and learn,
Ray
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:03 pm
nacho45 wrote:

I just realized though, that all my pages and topics that go to Page 2 and beyond are no longer accessible. In other words, If you hit 2, 3, or Next or whatever, it just goes back to the same page.

This code does not behave that way. If your forum behaves that way it is due to other code you use (i.e. other mods).
0 Replies

aalishan

Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:17 am
Renamed Index.php to Forums.php
Just updated to 2.0.10 and implementing SEO and phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0 mod.
My renamed my index.php to forums.php . Could you please tell me if I need to make any changes in "phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0" mod . I mean the mod is referring index.php .should I change this to forums.php
Please advice
Thanks
0 Replies

padawan

Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:13 am
Re: Renamed Index.php to Forums.php
aalishan wrote:
Just updated to 2.0.10 and implementing SEO and phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0 mod.
My renamed my index.php to forums.php . Could you please tell me if I need to make any changes in "phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0" mod . I mean the mod is referring index.php .should I change this to forums.php
Please advice
Thanks

if you are meaning the htaccess file - then yes, replace index.php with forum.php on the second line. There are no edits to the index.php file itself in the mod.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Thu 26 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
The forum.html thing is just there for the .htaccess file and so that I can test if your rewrite is working when people ask for help.
0 Replies

kvnband

Sat 28 Aug, 2004 06:02 pm
Not getting static urls
Edit....

Didn't realize that the static urls are only for users that are logged out.

THIS IS GREAT!

Kevin
0 Replies

tcanuck07

Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:59 am
Which PHP files to edit to change URL rewrite?
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the fantastic mod and rewrite Craven.

I used one of the phpbb mods to remove sessions about 6 months ago to my 2.0.4 version and have about 600 pages feebily indexed with google. Most without titles or description because of the nature of still having php extentions and repeating titles and headings.

I added your changes and htaccess file to my forum yesterday, and everything looks good other than one problem i'll list below.

1 - I'm not seeing number 20 reflected in the changes:
20) Removes the sitename from page titles, improving keyword weight (Craven de Kere)
Could you tell me where this code is located so i can post it for you to look for possible errors in my code?

2 - My forum is in a "Forum" directory so i get a double forum written for the address.
ex: www.mysite.com/forum/forum-xx.htm
I'm afraid this could raise a flag with google to have a double "forum" in the address.

I'd like to change the rewrite of "Forum" to something suitable and would like to know which PHP files I have to edit and which part of the htaccess I'll have to edit. Also the same for the "about" addition. Which PHP and htacess to edit?

Gigabot and MSNbot were happily gobbling up 100s of pages not long after I added your mod yesterday. I'd like to get those URL addresses changed ASAP, before google shows up, so I don't get a bunch of duplicate pages indexed and possibly get penalized for them.

Thanks again for your hard work.
Tim
0 Replies