The Apparent Irresolvability of Debates

Subjectivity9

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:05 pm
@Absolution phil,
Leonard,

If by debate you mean one of those school debates, which are more like a game or an event with a referee of sorts giving out points and than declaring someone a winner. Then yes, it is resolved when the time is up.

But in real life where people live in different worlds/paradigm altogether, and consider their own personal opinions to be facts, if not the righteous truth, than it is more like a head butting contest. To resolve these debates, we would need to homogenize.

But of course, you are right in this, there are always exceptions.

Subjectivity9
kennethamy

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:19 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;95663 wrote:
Leonard,

If by debate you mean one of those school debates, which are more like a game or an event with a referee of sorts giving out points and than declaring someone a winner. Then yes, it is resolved when the time is up.

But in real life where people live in different worlds/paradigm altogether, and consider their own personal opinions to be facts, if not the righteous truth, than it is more like a head butting contest. To resolve these debates, we would need to homogenize.

But of course, you are right in this, there are always exceptions.

Subjectivity9

Again, I point out that from the fact that someone does not agree with an argument, it does not follow that the argument is not correct. Ahmadinejad has his own motive for not agreeing with an argument that shows that there was a Holocaust. If the evidence that there was a Holocaust is overwhelming, then what difference does it make that Amadinejad does not agree with its conclusion? None that I can see. Persuasion is not a criterion of the correctness of an argument. Why should it be?

In other words, whether an argument is correct or not, is not a subjective question, it is an objective question.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;95659 wrote:
No. Not that I know of. And, of course, I see no good reason to think that debates are irresoluble, anyway. Skepticism is the view that knowledge is impossible. To repeat my example, the question of whether there was a Holocaust is not irresoluble. We know there was a Holocaust. The fact that some people happen not to agree that there was one just reflects on those people. It does not mean we do not know there was a Holocaust. What, I wonder, would lead anyone to think that because an argument doesn't persuade people, that the failure to persuade means the argument is defective. It may very well mean that the people who reject the argument are defective.

Oh my! Awesome quote there. You are so quoted!

--

I suppose that by "correct" you mean "sound".
kennethamy

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:25 pm
@Emil,
Emil;95668 wrote:
Oh my! Awesome quote there. You are so quoted!

There is no quotation here.
Emil

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;95670 wrote:
There is no quotation here.

It means that I like(d) what you wrote and quoted you at the link location. It was definitely the best thing I read today and I've read some three hundred and fifty pages. Busy day.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:33 pm
@Emil,
Emil;95671 wrote:
It means that I like(d) what you wrote and quoted you at the link location. It was definitely the best thing I read today and I've read some three hundred and fifty pages. Busy day.

Check. ..............
Absolution phil

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;95659 wrote:
Skepticism is the view that knowledge is impossible.

No it's not, its simply the admission of unknowing. If one has admitted they don't know, it doesn't make sense to claim knowledge is impossible, it only makes sense for a Skeptic to suspend judgment on that matter.

kennethamy;95659 wrote:
To repeat my example, the question of whether there was a Holocaust is not irresoluble. We know there was a Holocaust.

The problem is you are already begging the question with your argument. Assuming what you are trying to prove.

kennethamy;95659 wrote:
What, I wonder, would lead anyone to think that because an argument doesn't persuade people, that the failure to persuade means the argument is defective. It may very well mean that the people who reject the argument are defective.

But it is epistemic inefficient. As the evidence you provide for an argument can always be put under dispute. So if you take a closer look at Lammenranta's paper, he said a third person in this debate would be forced to suspend judgment if they didn't have assumptions of their own and a purely logical creature. Like the common saying, a logical donkey between two identical stacks of hay would starve to death because it doesn't have a good logical reason to choose either.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:29 pm
@Absolution phil,
Absolution;96529 wrote:
No it's not, its simply the admission of unknowing. If one has admitted they don't know, it doesn't make sense to claim knowledge is impossible, it only makes sense for a Skeptic to suspend judgment on that matter.

The problem is you are already begging the question with your argument. Assuming what you are trying to prove.

Philosophical skepticism is often define as the view that knowledge is impossible. But this is, perhaps, just a verbal issue.

But it is epistemic inefficient. As the evidence you provide for an argument can always be put under dispute. So if you take a closer look at Lammenranta's paper, he said a third person in this debate would be forced to suspend judgment if they didn't have assumptions of their own and a purely logical creature. Like the common saying, a logical donkey between two identical stacks of hay would starve to death because it doesn't have a good logical reason to choose either.

If you think I am begging the question by assuming that I know, when that is what I have to prove, then I might point out that I think you are begging the question by assuming I do not know, when that is what you have to prove. So, in this way, we seem to be at impasse.In order to avoid impasse, perhaps you would want to say why you think that (just to take an example) I do not know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. I do think I know that. Why do you think I do not know that? Naturally, as I have said, people who are engaged in debate have assumptions. If they did not, then they could not argue, since they would have no premises (assumptions) from which to argue. So, Lammenranta, is pointing out the truism that arguments must have premises. But, those premises can be true, as well as be false. And if they are true, and if the logic going from the premises to the conclusion is correct, then the conclusion will be true. So that arguments need premises does not seem to me to be an objection. And, not only may the premises of an argument be true, but it is possible to know that the premises are true. And, so, it is possible to know that the conclusion is true, if the logic of the argument is correct.

Of course, the evidence for any belief (such as that Quito is the capital of Ecuador) can be questioned. But, again, that is a trivial point. Since, obviously we can always ask someone why he believes what he does, and when he replies, we can ask why he believes that. But what is that supposed to show, since the person can also reply to the questioning too. He can go up the ladder with the questioner, as long as his patience holds out.That is a question of endurance, not of logic.

But, let's get to the main issue. I believe I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Why do you believe my belief that I know is false?
0 Replies

Absolution phil

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 03:00 pm
@Absolution phil,
I don't believe its false. I am not sure if you do or do not know. The problem is its hard to establish the premises themselves as true, whether they are true or not. It could be possible to know it is true. But how would you convey that to me as a third person, who is not sure what is true or not?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:08 pm
@Absolution phil,
Absolution;96590 wrote:
I don't believe its false. I am not sure if you do or do not know. The problem is its hard to establish the premises themselves as true, whether they are true or not. It could be possible to know it is true. But how would you convey that to me as a third person, who is not sure what is true or not?

If you are really not sure whether Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and do not want to take my word for it, then you can easily look it up. I would convey the knowledge to you just by saying that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and sending you to web sites like this:

Quito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And referring you to other reliable sources of information. How else would you expect me to do.
As Charles Peirce (the great American philosopher said) "we should not doubt in philosophy what we do not doubt in our heart". Do you really doubt that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? If so, why would you? (And if you doubt it, what would be your attitude toward the proposition that there is Extra-terrestrial life? Would you doubt that Quito was the capital, less, or more, than you would that there is extra-terrestrial life? Would it be the same degree of doubt for both?
Absolution phil

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:23 pm
@Absolution phil,
Ahh but I am being the third person who apparently has no knowledge on things (so that should answer your final questions). So for me to accept your link to wikipedia I would have to assume it is correct in the first place over lets say someone's word. But hence you have not provided me a good reason to assume it is correct in the first place. So how would you resolve that?

It is perfectly fine to assume it is the capitol and say it is. But that does not really provide a solution to a third person in a debate does it?
0 Replies

timunderwood9

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:40 pm
@kennethamy,
The issue, as I see it, is sort of more technical. If you are subject to a Cartesian demon any evidence you could possibly have regarding the capital of Ecuador is besides the point.

So to talk about what really is out there we have to at least make the assumption that we aren't subject to a Cartesian demon.

This is why I prefer to approach questions from the perspective of 'what does the evidence say' or 'what view is epistemically justified', not 'what view is actually true'. Since as I already pointed out, you only have access to evidence, not to what causes the evidence.

So for me a near certain statement is that, "in the model of the universe which my sensory perceptions give me Quito is the capital of Ecuador."

Of course while I think making all beliefs contingent on there not being a cartesian demon of some sort managing our perceptions resolves a considerable chunk of the problem with debates. There is still the problem that people (ie almost everybody) who agree that there is no Cartesian demon still disagree.

---------- Post added 10-10-2009 at 07:44 PM ----------

I think you can construct an intellectual structure where everyone agrees what the evidence is, and then agrees on what the conclusions we would draw from the evidence if we adopted particular decision rules would be. I don't think you can drive convergence in decision rules, though. Actually I'm probably wrong about the other two forms of agreement, but I think it is still an useful heuristic to think about what you can agree on about the evidence for a claim, without trying to explicitly jump from there to a statement about the claim.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:08 pm
@Absolution phil,
I do not think one should engage in a debate thinking there will be a "resolution".
The best one can expect is to learn something new, to consider the issue from another viewpoint or to learn to better clarify and express ones own views.
The value is not in resolving the issue or declaring a winner but in the process of the exchange of views.
Of course wheter Quinto is the capital of Ecuador is not worth a debate: by defintion it is. Charles Pierces quote on the other hand is well worth a debate.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:19 pm
@prothero,
prothero;96643 wrote:
I do not think one should engage in a debate thinking there will be a "resolution".
The best one can expect is to learn something new, to consider the issue from another viewpoint or to learn to better clarify and express ones own views.
The value is not in resolving the issue or declaring a winner but in the process of the exchange of views.
Of course wheter Quinto is the capital of Ecuador is not worth a debate: by defintion it is. Charles Pierces quote on the other hand is well worth a debate.

How is Quito the capital of Ecuador "by definition"? Guayaquil used to be the capital of Ecuador. And, Washington, D.C. is not the capital of the United States by definition. New York City used to be the capital. And so was Philadelphia. It is a fact that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. It is not true by definition that it is. If it were, it would be part of the meaning of "Quito" that is was the capital, and it is not.

---------- Post added 10-11-2009 at 12:28 AM ----------

Absolution;96618 wrote:
Ahh but I am being the third person who apparently has no knowledge on things (so that should answer your final questions). So for me to accept your link to wikipedia I would have to assume it is correct in the first place over lets say someone's word. But hence you have not provided me a good reason to assume it is correct in the first place. So how would you resolve that?

It is perfectly fine to assume it is the capitol and say it is. But that does not really provide a solution to a third person in a debate does it?

If you have no knowledge, then I suggest that you acquire knowledge. If you do not think that Wiki is an authoritative source, (why?) then I will refer you to The World Book of Facts, or to the latest Hammond's World Atlas. Or I would suggest that you phone the Ecuadorean embassy in Washington, D.C. and ask them. In the last resort, you could always fly to Quito, and go to the City Hall there, and ask them whether Quito is the capital. Of course, if there is nothing that you would accept as evidence that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, then obviously, I won't be able to persuade you that it is. But what is that supposed to show. That there is something defective about my evidence, or that there is something defective about you? Whether evidence is good evidence does not depend on whether it is persuasive. Some people (especially when they are philosophizing) become theoretical skeptics. So what? Philosophers do not claim to be psychologists. They are not in the business of persuasion.
0 Replies

Subjectivity9

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:34 am
@Absolution phil,
Ken,

I question if there is such a thing as an authority figure within the ‘actual practice’ of philosophy, someone who can step forward and claim to know which side is right or owns the truth. They can only say who made the best argument in their opinion, (or who either through persuasion or amassed facts did the best job of convincing others of their case.

There are, of course, certain professors with a great deal of knowledge, and are even recognized authorities on "Who said what, and when? But that is a different thing entirely, isn’t it? That knowledge, in itself, would not be a living, and breathing debate.

However, on certain philosophical issues, even these professors of great learning would have to agree that, there are particular (Complex) issues that can be debated for centuries and nevertheless remain unresolved. I daresay this is not necessarily because of some defect in the debate, or the debaters.

S9
kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 08:24 am
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;96710 wrote:
Ken,

I question if there is such a thing as an authority figure within the 'actual practice' of philosophy, someone who can step forward and claim to know which side is right or owns the truth. They can only say who made the best argument in their opinion, (or who either through persuasion or amassed facts did the best job of convincing others of their case.

There are, of course, certain professors with a great deal of knowledge, and are even recognized authorities on "Who said what, and when? But that is a different thing entirely, isn't it? That knowledge, in itself, would not be a living, and breathing debate.

However, on certain philosophical issues, even these professors of great learning would have to agree that, there are particular (Complex) issues that can be debated for centuries and nevertheless remain unresolved. I daresay this is not necessarily because of some defect in the debate, or the debaters.

S9

No. There is no such authority figure. But, so what? Intelligent people, with a grasp of logic, can examine arguments, and in most cases determine whether a particular argument is sound or not. There are objective criteria for doing so, and they are easily learned if someone want to learn them. And they are all over the Internet.
Absolution phil

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96725 wrote:
No. There is no such authority figure. But, so what? Intelligent people, with a grasp of logic, can examine arguments, and in most cases determine whether a particular argument is sound or not. There are objective criteria for doing so, and they are easily learned if someone want to learn them. And they are all over the Internet.

Now we are getting to the meat of the matter. So what are the objective criteria, and how do they circumvent or answer to Lammenranta's interpretation?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:48 pm
@Absolution phil,
Absolution;96790 wrote:
Now we are getting to the meat of the matter. So what are the objective criteria, and how do they circumvent or answer to Lammenranta's interpretation?

But you don't want me to discuss elementary logic here, do you? There are a lot of sites for logic on the Internet. I do not fully understand L's objection anyway. It seems to be only that arguments require premises. And, of course they do. That is what arguments are like. It is like saying that cars require engines. By the way, official debates are won or lost. One side can offer a better argument (or worse argument) than another, An astronomer will win a debate about whether Mars is the fourth planet or not every time against someone who knows no astronomy. And if the debate is whether Quito is, or is not the capital of Ecuador, I can win that debate easily. Hammond's New World Atlas and a number of other reliable sources will show that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.
0 Replies

Absolution phil

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:06 pm
@Absolution phil,
So your criteria is the amount of evidence that determines the better argument, or is it the quality of evidence? I know in the field of science evidence at first ends up often left under interpretation, and often can be argued either way. So if evidence is the criteria for who wins debates, there must be criteria for what makes good evidence rather than the word of the debater. What would that criteria be for the evidence itself?
kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:12 pm
@Absolution phil,
Absolution;97067 wrote:
So your criteria is the amount of evidence that determines the better argument, or is it the quality of evidence? I know in the field of science evidence at first ends up often left under interpretation, and often can be argued either way. So if evidence is the criteria for who wins debates, there must be criteria for what makes good evidence rather than the word of the debater. What would that criteria be for the evidence itself?

Both quantity and quality.
There are often criteria for good evidence. For example, controlled double blind studies. If sampling is used then there are criteria for what a fair sample is. There are canons of evidence in all the sciences.
0 Replies