Jury system is it failing?

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 09:50 am
Joe
Lawyer or not if you sound half way intelligent you will never be picked to serve on a jury. They are looking for malleable minds. I have been on jury duty several times and I can almost always tell which jurors will be disqualified by lawyers.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:20 am
au1929 wrote:
Joe
Lawyer or not if you sound half way intelligent you will never be picked to serve on a jury. They are looking for malleable minds. I have been on jury duty several times and I can almost always tell which jurors will be disqualified by lawyers.

Uh, you're not suggesting that you don't sound half-way intelligent, are you au1929? No doubt the lawyers who picked you for those juries mistakenly thought you were one of those "malleable minds," right?

During voir dire (questioning of the jurors) for a double-murder trial, I revealed that I was a Cubs fan. I think that may have convinced the prosecution to excuse me (Cubs fans probably have too much sympathy for underdogs and the downtrodden to be unbiased jurors).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:31 am
Joe
I am afraid you misunderstood. I have been called to jury duty and served 5 different times. Have only been selected to serve on a jury once. And that was settled out of court. I have however, sat through many jury selection quizzes.
0 Replies