Text under icons

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 10:30 am
My Windows HP Home desktop has begun to display the text under the icons against a darker colored oblong. Previously, the text was displayed simply in white letters against the desktop general background slate color. This happened to me once before, but I can't recall how I fixed it to suit my preference. Rolling Eyes

What steps should I follow to get rid of the dark backgrounds?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,074 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 03:06 pm
Move mouse to Windows desktop, right click mouse then click PROPERTIES and click on the APPEARANCE tab. The choices there and under the ADVANCED button will give you options for customizing the desktop appearance.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 04:01 pm
Text under icons
I tried that, but couldn't identify any instruction or item on the menu that would apply to the problem. What am I missing (maybe I shouldn't phrase the question quite that way; the possible answers are too tempting).

Seriously, I must not be understanding something here. Confused
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 04:37 pm
Text under icons
I think what is happening is that the background color (slate) i showing through the wallpaper. I know I got rid of this problem once, but I still can't remember how I did it.

It's unattractive and a blinding contrast to the text.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:09 pm
I used to have a little freeware program called Transparent that eliminated the little boxes and let me change the text color to one that would show clearly against my background. I especially appreciated it when I used a photo as wallpaper... The program is free, it's small, and it doesn't bring any baggage with it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:28 pm
Text under icons
Wy - Thank you for your suggestion. How do I access Transparent? Have you an address for it?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:45 pm
Google "transparent icon labels", or go to Freeware.com...
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 01:45 pm
Text under icons
Wy - I checked CNET downloads and came up with CS - Clear Screen. This sound like what you referred to. Does it sound familiar to you?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 04:51 pm
Hi Tom. No, that one's not familiar to me. But I googled it up again and found this description:

Quote:
Transparent makes the text backgrounds of the icons on your Windows desktop transparent, allowing your wallpaper to show through (see screen shots). It can also change the color of the icon text. Transparent can optionally stay in memory to automatically fix the transparency if your desktop gets changed or reset.
Tip: On Windows XP, you don't need Transparent for this. Instead, go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance settings and enable 'Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop'.

Note the Tip -- if in your first post you mean XP Home, you can just do that instead. If not, here's

Where I found Transparent
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:57 pm
Text under icons
Wy - I followed your instructions for XP Home (which is what I have) , but found that "Use drop shadows, etc" was already enabled. I disabled it, and re-enabled it, but no change. I guess I'll try your Transparent link., but thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 06:59 pm
Oh well. I hope you like Transparent as much as I did. I'll get it again if I decide to use anything but a blank desktop. (There's so much rubbish on the wooden one, a blank pixel one is kinda refreshing!)
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 05:19 pm
Text under icons
I tried downloading Transparent (the other one I found at CNET isn't for XP, anyway) but can't seem to retrieve it from the innards of my computer. Rolling Eyes

I wonder if perhaps my computer has a problem and just doesn't respond to Teither Transparent or the XP instructions.

Well, it ain't the end of the world . . .
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:33 am
Here is another option in the latest edition of Langalist;

http://home.insightbb.com/~ryanvm/tinyutilities/vitrite/

also without bag and baggage. Exclamation
0 Replies