Does the life in which you are born into, reason enough to deserve it?

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 01:56 pm
Alot of people are born everyday. All of them born into different financial classes.

Now of course people dont deserve their lives right at the beginning and they cant do anything about what class they're born into but isnt there something every one and each of us should do to show appreciation for what we have and do something to deserve it? What would be the things we should do? according to each social classes of course, the rich become philanthropists, the middle class do community service ect, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,150 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 02:28 pm
@Kontrover-c,
In the biological sense, you could say you deserve it... I mean, weren't there millions of competing sperm itching to reach that ovum first? That's your prize.... existence.

Anyways, definitely once your born, you can definitely show appreciation for living, and if you were born in the lowest class, you can be a good sport, but I definitely won't hold it against you if you feel cheated.
Kontrover-c

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 03:16 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;94117 wrote:
but I definitely won't hold it against you if you feel cheated.

Well, that's why I want to know what is to be done to deserve my life, bcause I dont feel cheated but like a cheat.
richrf

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:55 pm
@Kontrover-c,
When someone asks me about my life, I reply:

I wouldn't want anyone else's life, and I wouldn't wish anyone else have my life. It is what it is. We all have our challenges and things to learn.

Rich
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:12 am
@Kontrover-c,
Kontrover-c;94114 wrote:
Alot of people are born everyday. All of them born into different financial classes.

Now of course people dont deserve their lives right at the beginning and they cant do anything about what class they're born into but isnt there something every one and each of us should do to show appreciation for what we have and do something to deserve it? What would be the things we should do? according to each social classes of course, the rich become philanthropists, the middle class do community service ect, etc.

For each of us to tend his own garden (as Candide advises) and not make things any worse than they are. As Shakespeare wisely asks (rhetorically) if everyone got what he deserved, which of us would escape a whipping?
0 Replies

Shlomo

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 03:17 pm
@Kontrover-c,
Rich or poor, we get our lives as a gift. Gifts cannot be deserved, but can be matched by thanks-giving.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 04:01 pm
@Kontrover-c,
Kontrover-c;94122 wrote:
Well, that's why I want to know what is to be done to deserve my life, bcause I dont feel cheated but like a cheat.

I used to feel this way too. Then I realized that I was cheating myself by feeling this way, so I got over it. Now I just go along with it and try to behave reasonably well toward others.

"We are never so happy, nor so unhappy, as we suppose ourselves to be."
La Rochefoucauld.
0 Replies

IntoTheLight

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 12:34 pm
@Kontrover-c,
Kontrover-c;94114 wrote:

Now of course people dont deserve their lives right at the beginning and they cant do anything about what class they're born into but isnt there something every one and each of us should do to show appreciation for what we have and do something to deserve it?

I find this question very odd. Exactly whom do you think we should show appreciation to? Society in general?

-ITL-
Karpowich

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:08 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;105635 wrote:
I find this question very odd. Exactly whom do you think we should show appreciation to? Society in general?

-ITL-

I was going to ask this also, you just beat me to it :p I think showing appreciation, or making a deal out of the problem itself, just shows a level of ignorance (No offense to anyone here, keep reading and I'll explain Smile ) When you feel bad for others, often times it creates an even farther divide between you and that person. Although your actions are well intentioned, they come across as selfish. A blind man doesn't want to hear sympathy from everyone as much as a cripple doesn't want to hear sympathy from everyone he/she meets. From a personal standpoint, I don't want to hear sympathy from a rich man for my middle class social status because frankly I don't believe that social status makes one inferior or superior. I think people should give whatever you can as long as it is within your means. If you can afford to give to charity and volunteer and other self less deeds, more power to you. If you can only give 50 dollars a month, than that is just as meaningful as the other man's contributions. Overall the point should be that everyone needs to become a little more selfless and donate more time and money to helping society and those that are less fortunate.
0 Replies

Shlomo

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 03:06 pm
@IntoTheLight,
IntoTheLight;105635 wrote:
I find this question very odd. Exactly whom do you think we should show appreciation to? Society in general?-ITL-

That is the real question. If life has a source, than why not be thankful to that source. And why not invest at least some philosophical effort into identifying that source. (No cash required at all).
0 Replies

violet sky

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:50 pm
@Kontrover-c,
We don't always know who to thank or why we're grateful. But we absolutely must appreciate what we are given because we are all individuals because of the circumstances which shape us. If we need to give appreciation, we trace that back to someone who we feel has given us something to appreciate. Perhaps a specific person, a family member, some find it in religion, and some find it in themselves. Regardless of where we pinpoint our appreciation, any ability to find satisfaction with what we are given leads to a stronger individual, which leads us to accept our position in life much more willingly.
0 Replies