Consciousness and its expression

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:04 pm
Are consciousness (i.e. possession of a phenomenal mind, awareness of onself and one's surroundings, conceptual representation and so on) and the expression of consciousness biconditional?

It is normal to assume that consciousness is necessary for expression of consciousness. One cannot express their conscious ideas by articulation without actually being conscious. (For an unconscious thing to express consciousness would make it a zombie of some kind).

However, is consciousness necessary and sufficient for expression of consciousness? Must a conscious agent express their consciousness in some way?

If not, how do we know what is conscious and what isn't?

NB: By 'expression of consciousness' I vaguely mean any action which suggests that the agent is conscious, eg. creative language, creation of artifacts, planning and so on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 880 • Replies: 8
No top replies

SammDickens

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 12:29 pm
@buffalobill90,
I think that a conscious being must react to its consciousness and some action or vocalization is likely, but is this expression or simply reaction? What do you mean by expression when you speak of the expression of consciousness? Forgive me. I am not aware of the textbook definitions you may be working with. I do understand that you are saying consciousness is required for expression to occur, and you are asking if expression indeed MUST occur where there is consciousness. You appear to interpret expression broadly and not limit it to vocal expression, but I'm not sure how broadly I may take it.

Samm
Twirlip

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 01:20 pm
@buffalobill90,
buffalobill90;133103 wrote:
One cannot express their conscious ideas by articulation without actually being conscious. (For an unconscious thing to express consciousness would make it a zombie of some kind).

Although I don't like to merely quibble, I cannot at all see what you are saying in either of these sentences.

The first sentence seems on the face of it to be a tautology, or something close to a tautology, in that it presupposes that the person in question (the "they" of the "their") has conscious ideas, and is therefore conscious, therefore the sentence implicitly presupposes what it asserts.

As for the sentence in parentheses, it supposes, hypothetically, that there is an unconscious thing which expresses consciousness, which would appear to be a logical contradiction, rather than a condition applicable to a zombie (or anything else for that matter).

I can only make sense of this by supposing that when you speak of "expressing consciousness", you do not mean to imply that the consciousness "expressed" actually exists. If so, it seems a rather confusing form of words to use. However, it does seem to be borne out by the sentence you wrote immediately before the two I quoted, viz,:
Quote:
It is normal to assume that consciousness is necessary for expression of consciousness.
- because by pointing out that this is a "normal assumption", you are implicitly questioning it, you are implying that it is not necessarily true.

So it does seem that by the phrase "to express consciousness", you must mean something like "making a claim which, if true, implies being conscious" - or rather, more generally, "behaving in a way which suggests to a human observer that consciousness is somehow involved in the behaviour".

However, if that is what you mean, then the answers to both of your questions would seem to be trivially "No", because:

(1) I could easily write a simple computer program which prints (or speaks) the sentence "Cogito ergo sum", or even "I am conscious", but (I take it to be obvious) this no more implies the presence of any actual consciousness that would the printing or speaking of a string of nonsense syllables.

(2) I can be conscious and say nothing, even play dead.

So I still have no idea what you could be trying to say, I'm afraid! Can you elaborate? What do you mean by "to express consciousness"?
0 Replies

buffalobill90

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:02 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;133592 wrote:
I think that a conscious being must react to its consciousness and some action or vocalization is likely, but is this expression or simply reaction? What do you mean by expression when you speak of the expression of consciousness? Forgive me. I am not aware of the textbook definitions you may be working with. I do understand that you are saying consciousness is required for expression to occur, and you are asking if expression indeed MUST occur where there is consciousness. You appear to interpret expression broadly and not limit it to vocal expression, but I'm not sure how broadly I may take it.

Samm

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

When I talk about expression of consciousness, you can take, for instance, language, art, technology or some other creative articulation of one's thoughts into action as examples of this. Another example might be planning or complex social agreements. All of these behaviours exhibit conscious representation of some kind.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 04:23 PM ----------

Twirlip;133601 wrote:
Although I don't like to merely quibble, I cannot at all see what you are saying in either of these sentences.

The first sentence seems on the face of it to be a tautology, or something close to a tautology, in that it presupposes that the person in question (the "they" of the "their") has conscious ideas, and is therefore conscious, therefore the sentence implicitly presupposes what it asserts.

As for the sentence in parentheses, it supposes, hypothetically, that there is an unconscious thing which expresses consciousness, which would appear to be a logical contradiction, rather than a condition applicable to a zombie (or anything else for that matter).

I can only make sense of this by supposing that when you speak of "expressing consciousness", you do not mean to imply that the consciousness "expressed" actually exists. If so, it seems a rather confusing form of words to use. However, it does seem to be borne out by the sentence you wrote immediately before the two I quoted, viz,:
- because by pointing out that this is a "normal assumption", you are implicitly questioning it, you are implying that it is not necessarily true.

So it does seem that by the phrase "to express consciousness", you must mean something like "making a claim which, if true, implies being conscious" - or rather, more generally, "behaving in a way which suggests to a human observer that consciousness is somehow involved in the behaviour".

I simply meant that it seems nonsensical for something to express consciousness if it is not actually conscious. The sentence was meant to appear contradictory, in order to demonstrate this. I use 'zombie' in the technical sense of a being which is indistinguishable in its behaviour from a conscious being but actually lacks a conscious mind. It is not necessarily true that zombies don't exist, however it is not a normal assumption.

Twirlip wrote:

However, if that is what you mean, then the answers to both of your questions would seem to be trivially "No", because:

(1) I could easily write a simple computer program which prints (or speaks) the sentence "Cogito ergo sum", or even "I am conscious", but (I take it to be obvious) this no more implies the presence of any actual consciousness that would the printing or speaking of a string of nonsense syllables.

This would indeed be an example of a zombie. In this case, however, I might argue that the computer program itself is an expression of consciousness thought: it was created by a conscious being in order to imitate consciousness. The computer is not conscious, but its programmer certainly is.

Twirlip wrote:

(2) I can be conscious and say nothing, even play dead.

I suppose you're right that a conscious being can intentionally hide all of their thoughts. In which case, the question is raised of whether there might be some involuntary indicator of consciousness which a mind must always exhibit; I can't think of any actual or hypothetical example of this, and it may be a question only neurologists could answer.
Twirlip

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:48 am
@buffalobill90,
I think I'm understanding you better now.

However (this is a passing remark, and I'll get back on topic in a moment), it causes confusion to edit your original message in a way which obscures what people were actually responding to. (Minor edits - or even major edits before anyone has replied - are fine, of course. At least, they're fine with me, and presumably the editing facility was supplied for a reason. I've used it several times.)

In a dialogue, such clarification comes about gradually, and no message is meant as a final and definitive statement of opinion. (Mine most certainly aren't!) But I think there are sections of the site where you can write essays (and you can certainly keep a blog); so we can have the best of both worlds. Meanwhile, this is a dialogue.

Anyway, back to the point.

It looks as if what we are doing here is a kind of psychoanalysis, in which we are trying to get clear about (1) what it means for a mental process to be "conscious" (e.g. can one's state of mind in a dream be called "conscious"?), and (2) depending on the answer to (1), how does one tell when something "conscious" is going on?

If so, then these are questions both difficult and fascinating.

But am I superimposing some of my own preoccupations on yours?
SammDickens

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
@buffalobill90,
I have another question. Does consciousness incorporate intelligence or is intelligence a separate mental faculty? Is it possible for an unintelligent entity to possess consciousness, or can only an intelligent being be conscious? I have tended to characterize the two distinctly, but I have the impression that your understanding of consciousness necessarily includes intelligence. I appreciate clarification on this point.

Samm
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@buffalobill90,
Consciousness and spatial-being are the same thing. Nous or pure negativity forces us to think in terms of objects, or digitally. This is why consciousness is difficult to understand. We are trying to calculate pi. Man is the collision of ideal or perfect geometry and digital and utterly discontinuous word, and this same word is the raw material that number is made of.. Number is almost perfectly abstract word. Being = 1. To make the other numbers, we imagine them in a continuum and systematically describe them as such.

But there are infinite amount of numbers between ANY TWO NUMBERs. This is an ontological collision! A transcendental travesty! Man is this collision. He can only figure it out by conceptual synthesis/abstraction...My avatar says it all....
0 Replies

buffalobill90

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 06:43 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;134141 wrote:
It looks as if what we are doing here is a kind of psychoanalysis, in which we are trying to get clear about (1) what it means for a mental process to be "conscious" (e.g. can one's state of mind in a dream be called "conscious"?), and (2) depending on the answer to (1), how does one tell when something "conscious" is going on?

If so, then these are questions both difficult and fascinating.

But am I superimposing some of my own preoccupations on yours?

1) I would presume that a dream is a conscious phenomenal experience, if only a minimally conscious one. It involves a kind of awareness, perhaps not an awareness of one's surroundings but an awareness of memories? Previous experiences?

2) Well, that is the crucial question. Consciousness permits a kind of higher-order reactive behaviour which allows one to act more creatively than an unconscious thing, since it allows visualisation of absent or imaginary objects. Creative planning, language, art, technology etc. are good examples of expressions of conscious thought. A dreaming person obviously does not exhibit any of these behaviours (I don't think), so unless there is some involuntary exhibition of conscious thought - a certain kind of brain activity, rapid eye movements or something like that - perhaps consciousness can indeed be concealed in certain cases.

Dreams are a good thing to consider in this debate. Thank you.

---------- Post added 03-09-2010 at 12:48 AM ----------

Samm;134157 wrote:
I have another question. Does consciousness incorporate intelligence or is intelligence a separate mental faculty? Is it possible for an unintelligent entity to possess consciousness, or can only an intelligent being be conscious? I have tended to characterize the two distinctly, but I have the impression that your understanding of consciousness necessarily includes intelligence. I appreciate clarification on this point.

Samm

Good question. I am not sure; I would say that intelligence is an ambiguous term, possibly even a specious one. However, if we defined it as a quantitative measure of reasoning ability, I'd say it is only available to conscious beings who can introspect and analyse reality at a higher level than things which react immediately and unconsciously to stimuli.

My main concern here is ethics; I would like to know if it is possible to dismiss certain objects as unconscious and therefore incapable of real suffering. Of course, whether consciousness is required for suffering is a different question altogether, but for the purposes of this argument it is unimportant.
Twirlip

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 07:18 pm
@buffalobill90,
buffalobill90;137714 wrote:
My main concern here is ethics; I would like to know if it is possible to dismiss certain objects as unconscious and therefore incapable of real suffering.

I wasn't going to attempt to reply yet (past bedtime!), but this bit caught my eye, and I had to try to say something about it.

People often discuss whether childhood trauma excuses evil deeds committed by the person when grown up. I think the answer hinges, probably on lots of things, but particularly on whether the suffering child is still consciously present in the adult, or has been repressed into unconsciousness. In the former instance, the abused child still exists, in a sense; in the second case, it doesn't exist any more, at least not in the same sense.

This isn't intended as the gross oversimplification of a complex issue which it might appear to be, but rather as an explicit identification of one strand of that complex issue: a vital distinction between consciousness and unconsciousness, which very often seems to be ignored. Such ignorance really does lead to gross oversimplifications (e.g. (a) "he's not to blame, because he was abused as a child", versus (b) "people are morally responsible, and what happens in childhood is no excuse").

Another aspect of this is that when people push their own abusive childhood into unconsciousness, they very often seem to be compelled to recreate their own repressed suffering consciously in another person (who becomes a kind of proxy); thus seems (at least to me) to be a frequent motive for otherwise inexplicably cruel behaviour, and in particular for the infamous "cycle of abuse".

(Sorry if this is wandering too far off-topic.)
0 Replies