The mind and our senses, does it make sense

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:58 am
i was sitting with a friend of mine last night and a thought passed us, if for some god forbidden reason a person is born without one of the five senses, what happens in their dreams. The issue here is that, when a person is born deaf, for instance, they do not know what words sound like hence you find the term deaf and dumb because the not knowing what words sound like hinders their ability to speak.

personally i think the most interesting is for people who were born blind, what do they see (in lack of a better word) in their dreams, do they just hear sounds and smell aromas????:perplexed:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 7
No top replies

richrf

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:03 am
@filosofired,
Hi there,

This is an extremely interesting subject. From my brief readings, it seems like for people who are blind and not blind, it requires a combination of all senses to form images. Images, it appears are not the result of vision alone.

Also, there is some controversy concerning the forms and shapes that congenitally blind people describe.

It is a fascinating subject and I am looking forward to what others have to say on this subject.

Rich
Kielicious

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 03:31 pm
@richrf,
Im pretty sure blind people from birth dont dream visually. Hence the old saying "talking colors to a blind person."
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:03 pm
@filosofired,
It all depends on which portion of the visual processing sectors of the brain are affected.
KaseiJin

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:42 pm
@rhinogrey,
While it is a very interesting area of inquiry, as I, personally, find all of the area of neurological matters; it is not quite as mysterious a matter as some may feel it to be, however.

rhinogrey;85205 wrote:
It all depends on which portion of the visual processing sectors of the brain are affected.

This is an important point, because there is a difference between having signal input problems to a fully operative cortical area (V1~5), and having areas of the occipital lobe being dead. Also, in that there are two primary paths, and one can project to the visual cortex without the other, there can be cases where there is no reportable vision (dorsal damaged) but some motor actions can reveal that the ventral pathway is evidently open and working. Things related to this, however, I intend to post in other places so it might be good to keep an eye open there too (Consciousness is a Biological Problem thead).
0 Replies

ahmedjbh

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:32 am
@filosofired,
Very interesting.

I have read some articles about a phenomen called "blindsight" . A person is technically blind, they can see nothing, however in random selection tests they achieve better marks than one would achieve by guessing. They attached electrodes to see if the patients were "faking" there blindness, and the areas normally associated with vision were inactive. They suggested that some very minor nerve tissue which branches from the optic nerve which is normally associated with the body clock where being used to have some type of instinctive vision.

As for the question at hand, I have no idea, and would love to know if there are any studies which can shed more light on this. After seeing my baby twitching in his sleep from several weeks old, it made me wonder what he could possibly be dreaming of, seeing as though he only really had one concept, and that was sucking for milk.
0 Replies

BLESSED

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:52 pm
@filosofired,
ahmedjbh;85383 wrote:

I have read some articles about a phenomen called "blindsight" . A person is technically blind, they can see nothing, however in random selection tests they achieve better marks than one would achieve by guessing. They attached electrodes to see if the patients were "faking" there blindness, and the areas normally associated with vision were inactive. They suggested that some very minor nerve tissue which branches from the optic nerve which is normally associated with the body clock where being used to have some type of instinctive vision.

Dear "ahmedjbh" from Neptune!
Greetings;

I'm a new comer here reading your posts.Unfortunately I'm not as wise as you to be just serious;so you may see a few humors in my posts,sensible of course!:bigsmile:

Several years living on Mars,one of my interests is looking at the "Earthly" people who are sweating in their "Cars"Very Happy.

You may look at the fishes in their jars ,it makes no difference!
But try to choose the philosopher fishes to be detected!!:detective:
It is a pleasure to watch the confused rigid philosophers who are radiated in the universe!!!

Well;suppose you are watching a "red" fish swimming in a "green" jar.The fish is passing through the glass to reach your beautiful retina!You may see the fish,for it is in a constant journey to your eyes , to be picked up finally by different eyes or cameras!

Suppose there isn't any eye;
well,how many bodies are there for the radiated fishes who are passing the glasses as the limpid walls!?:shocked:

Suppose the watching one is "color blind"!What will be the result?!

Hmmmmm.... let's be back to the dear filosofired's question after the break:

filosofired;85152 wrote:

personally i think the most interesting is for people who were born blind, what do they see (in lack of a better word) in their dreams, do they just hear sounds and smell aromas????:perplexed:

Suppose you're watching a "red" fish who is swimming in a "red" jar.You may not see the fish even though you're not blind.Does the fish realy pass the red glass?!Even if the watching one is a color blind!?:brickwall:

By the way if it is the fish who passes the glass to reach your eyes,or you are the one who are passing the glass to pick up the fish?!

Thanks and regards/
Yours/"Blessed Lunatic Wiseman"!
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:36 pm
@filosofired,
My dreams don't always involve clear visual images. In fact most of the time it's more conceptual. I dream of a white dove, but I just know it's white... I don't actually see it.

Only twice in my life have I dreamed in color. One dream was a weird art exhibit in which different artists were all presenting portraits of my cousin. The dream consisted of one portrait after the other. At first they looked like my cousin, but then changed to depicting his spirit. I saw a succession of bucking bull type images in red, black and blue.

Once I had a dream with no visual aspect. The best I could do to explain it would be to say it was like a beehive with a queen bee who was in communication with thousands of bees in the environment. The substance of the dream was a strong sense of accomplishment the bees felt. But there weren't any bees... that's just a metaphor. Am I the only person who has dreams like that?
0 Replies