Off again to see the Wizard

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 07:44 am

Last evening, TBS aired "The Wizard of Oz", back to back. For the first time, I watched it with critical eyes, and I was pleasantly surprised at its freshness.

So many aspects leapt into focus that I had never appreciated prior to this recent viewing. What a shock to learn that the most beautiful ballad of the entire movie, "Over the Rainbow" was almost cut from the film. It was also a surprise to learn that Buddy Ebsen was the original choice for the Tin Man, but had to relinquish the role due to severe allergies to the metalic make-up.

Thanks to Maxsdadeo(hope I got his handle correct), I realized this time what the wicked witch of the West meant with her sky-writing message: "Surrender Dorothy" and what the palace guards of the dark castle were really chanting as they solemnly marched through its gates. (can you guess? and no, it wasn't OR-RE-O) Smile

In listening carefully to the orchestration of the songs, I was awed by the multi-faceted talents of the stars, and the studio musicians, as well as the believable performance of each character, a delightful and unexpected treat.

How many times the yellow brick road has been trod, and how many times have allusions been made to its ultimate destination.

" The Wizard of Oz" is truly a classic film.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,105 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 08:16 am
The original novel was banned in many places in this country, because it was felt to be subversive of "family values." Another remarkable aspect of the movie was that it was one of the first big color spectacles--it must have been a powerful experience for a 1939 audience . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 08:30 am
Setanta, I had no idea that the book was banned. Was this the reason that Baum wrote only the one? The subsequent books, of course, were just as exciting. I don't remember learning to read, but I know that I read every one of the Oz books, and it had to be pre school for me. Gorsh!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 08:57 am
Letty, we watched that too, and were just as struck. Actually watched the end of the first showing, said "Aw, we missed it", then were happily surprised when it started all over again.

When Dorothy first opens her house door and sees Oz, I said to the hubby, "This is the first dinosaur scene in 'Jurassic Park'". Obviously "Oz" is the far greater work of art, but I noted the same lingering, the same allowance for audience gasps and the need for them to get used to the new technology.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 09:01 am
I couldn't tell you what Baum's reaction to all the hype and negative reaction was, Boss, i only know that it was considered to be an assault on the the family, and especially parental authority. Keep in mind, the social tenor of the US in those days was of a type that would probably consider Jerry Falwell a dangerous liberal . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 09:19 am
Soz, and another observation. The color, or lack of it, went from black and white, to sepia, to technicolor. That was quite an innovation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 09:25 am
You know, Letty, i'd forgotten about that -- that was genius.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 09:26 am
Setanta, heh! heh! There will always be reruns of Jerry Falwell. My mom was the product of very--VERY strict upbringing, but she's the one who put the books in my Christmas stocking...Go figure. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that she was an educated woman for her time, having received what could be considered today, as a post graduate degree.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 09:57 am
It's also amazing that the director, Victor Fleming, was working on "Gone With the Wind" back-to-back with this film. It wasn't successful on its first release but, of course, has outdone many other films that have made money on their initial release for revival theater showings, TV presentations and video sales.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 02:33 pm
What an era, Mr. Wizard. I know that we all tend to glorify the past, but I swear, there's something new one sees in every viewing. GWTW hasn't been revived on TV in a while, but I did not recognize that both epochs were being done at the same time. Thanks to you, I'm paying more attention to detail now, instead of the purely entertainment factor. Confession--never read the book.. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 04:35 pm
The most current restorations of GWTW and "WofO" are gorgeous. The opening black-and-white/sepia-tone of Wiz is like seeing it for the first time. Then when the Technicolor bursts out, it does take your breath away. They've shown a widescreen version of GWTW but it did cut off some of the top and bottom of the screen. Now they have a digital process which can reformat in wide screen and add enough periferal pictoral "fill in" that you won't be able to tell that anything has been done to the film -- unlike the crayon effect of colorization.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:25 am
Letty Do you mean to say
that it wans't O r e o???
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:29 am
Letty - You NEVER read Gone With The Wind?
Oh, but you must! It is so very, very good.
You just want to smack Scarlet in the head
and say "Kiss him - you idiot!"
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:38 am
I think that I bought The Wizard
of Oz for my grandson when he
was a little too young for it.
At first he watched it every
single day, for about two weeks
(((I think he was attempting to
gain mastery over his fear
by rewatching etc etc)))
Then, one day, he just tossed
it in the garbage and said
"This movie is too scary, I don't
like it" (Smart kid!)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 08:39 am
I bought the DVD. My wife and I watched it together, just as excited as any kids. I was impressed also, besides the points already made, by the special effects. In many ways much better than today's computer graphics, because they had to be so much more inventive to achieve it.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:38 am
LightWiz & edgarb - are they REALLY that
much better on DVD?
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 12:07 pm
What ARE the guards chanting at
the witch's castle? I never could
make it out. GWTW was just shown
here about 2 months ago. I still
love it. My daughters, all in
their 30's seem to no interest
in it at all. Maybe it is just not
a generation X movie. Question
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 08:57 pm
DVD seems flawless. I did not want to like it but now I buy my favorite movies that way. When a film seems inferior I relegate it VHS.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 05:12 am
I just showed a video to my music appreciation class called "That's Dancing." In it was the uncut scarecrow number. It was great. Thanks for the info on Wizard. I'll have to get the DVD for class.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 05:19 pm
The chant as I remember is is syllabic:

Hoo-yee-yoo, ho yoo or something like that.
0 Replies