language as action, meaning as social context

pagan

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 01:39 pm
i recently watched some excellent video on Utube re Searle on Wittgenstein and philosophy of language. Interview by Magee i think.

It struck me from those discussions that seeing language as action, and action coming from intent, then narratives also reveal intent. They provide the rules (or common themes) that make not only a shared narrative possible, but also intent (i.e., belief) by using that narrative. It seemed to me that Searle was complaining that Wittgenstein rejected further theories of language on the basis that a theory of language could not stand outside of language itself. The theory provides a use. Its use reveals intent, but language cannot be separated out from this. There is no perspective outside language to develop a theory of language, since our ways of seeing and communicating and conceptualising are themselves immersed within it, and thus cannot gain a meta perspective.

But Searle reacted that if someone says you cannot build a theory for such and such, then that challenged him to push the boundaries and attempt just that. We don't know what is possible until we try. This could easily be interpreted as casting Wittgenstein in a defeatist negative light. But as i see it it wasn't that Wittgenstein rejected analysis and theory, but he did reject the claim it could be complete, and thus by looking at the way language is used and functions, we learn more of the merits of all philosophies. (Though not merit as a standardised judgment, since that is falling back into the trap of finding a super perspective.)

Quite apart from the philosophical debate between these perspectives it occurred to me to look at the meta narrative of science and logical analysis, and see it in terms of the intent that Searle expressed personally, i.e., to break down the walls of ignorance with analytical inquiry, and positively create from the new knowledge.

That is laudable, but Wittgenstein's view that the diversity of the perceived world is composed like the language we use, of common themes could thus be seen to include Searle's perspective and intent. In that Wittgenstein by analogy was not saying we should leave the wall of ignorance intact, so much as we should not rely upon one narrative to complete the task. And that to recognise that many useful languages and narratives exist alongside science, etc. They too, but in a different form, aid our intent and knowledge and ability to live in social groups.

What I find here is a common theme running through postmodernism. The inclusion of science etc. within a multitude of narratives. But also, the recognition that a commitment to say scientific determinism (or any grand narrative) intensifies intent. And since language as a tool for useful intent is crucial to a narrative, commitment is itself an intent. A philosophical intent.

Thus it is through philosophical exploration of different narratives, (different philosophies) that we can come to recognise the crucial truths and concepts of each. And moreover, their intent. Thus we may reject a philosophy for it asks us to recognise as true things we do not believe in particular, but also we may reject the identified intent of a philosophy also. And its use. Where we may find dilemma is where we like one aspect (say the fundamental truths) but dislike the other(the overall themes of intent). And maybe through that dilemma we modify or change in order to embrace and use. To find a social community to share our narrative .... its intent, its agreed use and its world view. Truth is thus a matter of intention, agreement and use, because it is language as action in a social context.

Philosophy viewed this way could change our lives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,289 • Replies: 4
No top replies

RDanneskjld

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:39 pm
@pagan,
pagan;87180 wrote:
i recently watched some excellent video on utube re searle on wittgenstein and philosophy of language. Interview by magee i think.

Yes that is indeed an Interview with Bryan Magee there is a whole host of them up Youtube, some are better than others but they are generally quite good.

pagan;87180 wrote:

But as i see it it wasn't that wittgenstein rejected analysis and theory, but he did reject the claim it could be complete, and thus by looking at the way language is used and functions, we learn more of the merits of all philosophies. (Though not merit as a standardised judgement, since that is falling back into the trap of finding a super perspective.)

In paragraph 1-38 of Philosophical Investigations Wittgenstein build's up a critique of Augustine's conception of language and part of this critique involves a description of a simple language game of a tribe of builders, who use the words Block, Slab, Pillar as instructions to one another on what kind of rock to bring. Wittgenstein then goes onto compare this basic version of a language with our what we would call more 'complete' language, such as the phrase we may use such as 'Bring Me The Slab' and asks us why we feel the basic language game incomplete, when it fulfills the role that it plays within this basic society of builders, what Wittgenstein is really trying to say is that our language is never complete and is always growing around what Wittgenstein would call our form of life and such language isnt ever complete. Testament to this is the list of 300 Words being added to The Collins English Dictionary this year. This section of Philosophical Investigations is also important in critiscism over certain views people hold about meaning and use. The use of the paragraph from Augustine is also important as it outlines how Augustine believed he learnt langauge as a young child and how this is a believable but false picture of language.

pagan;87180 wrote:

In that wittgenstein by analogy was not saying we should leave the wall of ignorance intact, so much as we should not rely upon one narrative to complete the task. And that to recognise that many useful languages and narratives exist alongside science etc. They too, but in a different form, aid our intent and knowledge and ability to live in social groups.

Wittgenstein was certainly not saying that we should leave the wall of ignorance intact, but rather that by not recognising the many different use's that language can have and how we use language in differently in different language games, we present ourselves with problems which would otherwise not confront us and by describtion of our language and its uses we can escape many of these problems that confront us. Recognition of this will help us solve many of the Philosophical problems (Wittgenstein would call them puzzles as he believed there are no true Philosophical problems, which is part of what led to the clash between him & Popper) that our language leads us into.
pagan

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 07:00 pm
@RDanneskjld,
pagan

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:57 am
@pagan,
RDanneskjld

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
@pagan,
pagan;87695 wrote:

No one as such decides the difference, but rather the Philosopher provides elucidations by examining how we use language! We describe how we use language in our various and overlapping language games and examine how the use of our ordinary language can lead us into Philosophical problems to quote Wittgenstein ' People are deeply imbedded in philosophical, i.e., grammatical confusions. And to free them presupposes pulling them out of the immensely manifold connections they are caught up in. ' the vastly complicated connections require a proper description of how we use language within overlapping language games should reveal what we intend to mean.It is important to remember that Wittgenstein does not intend to advance any particular theory. 'Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it.' (PI 124). A good example of this method in use is contained within Gilbert Ryle's ordinary language classic 'The Concept of Mind' which goes into vast detail examining how we use language with the aim of solving a Philosophical problem and the main target in Ryle's book is Descartes Mind Body problem, this modest method can lead us to rethink the issue totally as put by our very own Jgweed.
jgweed;80316 wrote:
Whether one accepts Ryle's conclusions or not, this thorough analysis of the concept of Self or Mind challenges the reader to rethink the issue completely.
Anyone interested in philosophy should read this modern classic.
0 Replies