In earnest what communicates more, an image or a word?

dawoel

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:22 am
(above question)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 983 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lily

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:33 am
@dawoel,
an image! Or, it depends, there are word that can't be described with just one image and there are pictures that can't be described with just one word.
Caroline

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 08:25 am
@dawoel,
Some people are auditory and others are imaginary, for instance, "I see where you're coming from" is what a person would say who see's in pictures, and "I hear what you're saying" is someone who thinks in words, I dont think either are particulary more adept at describing anything, and it depends whose on the receving end of the conversation, an auditory or imagery person.
0 Replies

Arya

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:30 am
@dawoel,
Both of them are related the words make the person build an image and the image help the person to create the words, so each one is depend in the other, we cannot specify which one is more communicates , because human nature is mixed of these two.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:20 am
@dawoel,
Doesn't that depend on what is being communicated? It is very hard to create an image for an abstract word or for a universal.
0 Replies

Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 03:07 pm
@dawoel,
A little silly but I like it.

Point 1)
If A and B are speaking and A says phrase X it could convey quite a bit of information. If A says X to C, it may simply confuse him and thus give no information. If A looks a image Y, it may give him only superficial understanding or information. If C looks at Y it may give him a deep understanding.

It is all about context, both present and past.

Point 2) How do you think we should go about measuring how much information has been taken in? Certainly this is needed to really answer the question in the obvious way.
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:32 pm
@dawoel,
Of course a single image communicates more than a single word, unless that word is mutually understood by some people to have some "inside meaning" accompanied with a funny background story.

My point is this: words themselves were not meant to convey much meaning, outside of their use as being structured in a particular way with other words to create a proposition.

Does an image convey more than a proposition can? Now that's a good question.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:21 am
@Lily,
Lily;75310 wrote:
an image! Or, it depends, there are word that can't be described with just one image and there are pictures that can't be described with just one word.
Surely depends. If the image conveys a clear message, then a picture can say more than 1k words. But you can put a great message/meaning in just a few words.

Specially the laconic concept is powerful.

Quote:

Philip II of Marcedon proclaims: "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city." The Spartan ephors sent back a one word reply: "If"
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:55 am
@dawoel,
dawoel;75305 wrote:
(above question)

To images corresponds 80% of our brain gathered information... do size and meaning are different things, still images would win.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:04 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;132772 wrote:
To images corresponds 80% of our brain gathered information... do size and meaning are different things, still images would win.
And images can't be misleading?
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:26 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;132768 wrote:
Surely depends. If the image conveys a clear message, then a picture can say more than 1k words. But you can put a great message/meaning in just a few words.

Specially the laconic concept is powerful.

Wasn't that exactly what I said? Or were you just agreeing with me?
HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:37 pm
@Lily,
Lily;132830 wrote:
Wasn't that exactly what I said? Or were you just agreeing with me?
No, you may have tryed to say it, but didn't.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:39 pm
@dawoel,
Hegel tackled this in his lectures on aesthetics. I think that words can go where images can't. But the image works trans-culturally. The image is faster for many purposes.
0 Replies