Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 08:43 am
I cant explain the emotions i am feeling right now, my planet is on the brink of self destruction, and i am all alone. I had always thought that the end would come well out of my lifetime, its funny really, if i had known maybe i would do something more worthwhile like write a book, or fight for peace. Peace, it seems so distant now. I cannot shed a tear for this planet, all is lost, we are dying and there is no way out. Time cannot turn back, the sky is on fire, i heard it used to be blue, before factories and war machines came along, we were such a proud race. Too proud, that's why this all started. Two men couldn't put aside their differences for the sake of human life. Who's laughing now? Planet earth-Population-Falling.

They spent years developing missiles, and never using them, perfecting unnatural destruction, just to prove they could, and now, the only evidence we were ever here is the still burning cities, our blacked skies and tainted seas.
The final plague-Mankind.
We ravaged the land relentlessly like a swarm of locusts.
And for what? This! This desolate useless rock, all those fights about money and pride, who was the better liar, who could destroy more with less buttons. It makes me sick to be a part of this disgusting race. Never more shall i associate myself with these heathens. To oblivion i go, i will not witness this anymore.

Let this be a lesson to you God, never leave man unattended.

• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,482 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:56 am
@Imnotrussian,
I like it, get's the point accross if you dont mind me saying so.
0 Replies

Imnotrussian

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:59 am
@Imnotrussian,
not at all, thank you
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am
@Imnotrussian,
I am far more concerned about the quiet destruction of both civilisation and the earth itself than with a nuclear war between now and 2040. TS Elliot's "not with a bang but a whimper" seems all-to-applicable.
John
Zetherin

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:54 am
@Imnotrussian,
Imnotrussian wrote:
the only evidence we were ever here is the still burning cities, our blacked skies and tainted seas.

These things will be cleaned up naturally in a couple hundred years, don't fret. I'm hoping there will be absolutely no evidence we were ever here. Good riddance to us.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:56 am
@Imnotrussian,
I know what you're saying Zetherin but I also think it would be a great/sad loss.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 11:03 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;77225 wrote:
I know what you're saying Zetherin but I also think it would be a great/sad loss.

Well, in the hypothetical here, there would be no one alive to contemplate the loss Smile
Caroline

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 11:08 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;77228 wrote:
Well, in the hypothetical here, there would be no one alive to contemplate the loss Smile

Lol. But you know what I mean and besides how do you know, life after death, God perhaps? Smile
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 11:14 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;77221 wrote:
I am far more concerned about the quiet destruction of both civilisation and the earth itself than with a nuclear war between now and 2040.
Civilisation as we know it might be in big trouble, but the Earth will be pretty much peachy for billions of years yet. There's nothing we could really do to it with our current level of destructive capability that would damage it in comparison to collision with Tethis, or the larger asteroids it's faced before. It's faced that in the past. In the future it'll face the sun going nova, and collision with Andromeda - we're a piffling irritation in comparison!

Besides - it's a big ball of rock - it doesn't care what's done to it. But if you do please don't worry - it'll be home to fascinating life for aeons to come despite the acts of any species currently infesting it.

When people bemoan loss of civilisation they really just angst over western civilisation because that's what they know best. If we are to face a sharp drop in number (as is likely given our recent exponential spike in numbers set against the stasis or diminishment of the resources needed to sustain us) I think there's no reason to assume that we will be made extinct - more likely we will suffer the fate of other plague animals such as rabbits in australia, or rats in a grain silo - we'll still be here after the big die off - just in far lesser numbers.

Until something usurps us from our ecological niche, such as a more successful sapient tool-maker, or a truely catastrophic event like a big asteroid strike, we'll probably hang on in some sort of humbled state in various enclaves, and maybe even experience a renaissance.

It's not like humans can't live humbly - there's no reason to believe those following a hunter-gatherer lifestyle in the middle of a large island would have to perish just because the oceans rise and coral reefs die and species get lost.

Now I don't say this to engender any sort of feeling of complacency - if we want to minimise suffering and maximise the chances of ourselves and our offspring from losing quality of life I think we have to make major changes.

But let's be realistic - humanity will likely not face extinction because of it's own behaviour, it will likely face a Ragnarok scenario where many people suffer war, pain, privation and horror whilst the scales rebalance themselves and a much diminished human population are once again able to live with a share of the resources more suited to their newly humbled needs.

---------- Post added 07-14-2009 at 01:40 PM ----------

Zetherin;77224 wrote:
These things will be cleaned up naturally in a couple hundred years, don't fret. I'm hoping there will be absolutely no evidence we were ever here. Good riddance to us.

Not to wish to get at you in particular but I think you're just indulging in a well-worn fin de siecle fantasy. Since the very first writings about what people believe people had been claimed to be living in a final age, an end of days that they or their direct descendants will bear witness to. It's a central tenant of most major religions and there is only one reason that I think it is so pervasive...

It panders to human arrogance to believe that they will bear witness to the end of history.

We, by and large, would have liked to have been at the start, but that's not possible, so we can claim to be there for the end. This is what Jesus told his followers 2000 years ago and it is what secular and religious doomsayers preach today. But there is no real reason to believe in an armageddon, a snap extinction, it's a mere matter of the satisfaction of saying "I am going to bear witness to the end" that people say it is.

As I stated in my last post - what's more likely is that humans will cope somehow - in vastly diminished number very probably - but even the most doom-laden of human-wrought environmental disaster scenarios don't leave Earth wholly uninhabitable - and the religious visions are bad fairytales with a proven track record of not coming true.

There will be no armageddon unless nature takes a very unexpected turn - there may well be some sort of ragnarok, at the end of which the blearied survivors of the upcoming famines and resource wars reach a state of closer equilibrium with their ecosystem.

"Good riddance to us"? Likely in a lot of cases, but there is no logical reason to doubt that enclaves of human life will cope - even with the worst.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 02:44 pm
@Imnotrussian,
Dave Allen wrote:
There will be no armageddon unless nature takes a very unexpected turn - there may well be some sort of ragnarok, at the end of which the blearied survivors of the upcoming famines and resource wars reach a state of closer equilibrium with their ecosystem.

"Good riddance to us"? Likely in a lot of cases, but there is no logical reason to doubt that enclaves of human life will cope - even with the worst.

My response wasn't indicative of any religious tenant or "armageddon", as you may have thunk. Our history isn't the end of all history, and I think it's greatly arrogant to think we're anything special. "The end" is not anything overly dramatic, mystifying, or poignant. It's just the end of our existence, just like the end of many other species' existence. And based on the fact that well over 90% of species that have ever lived on this earth are gone, and something like 25 species of varying animals (irrespective of how we act) become extinct daily, it seems more likely we'll eventually be phased out too. If you can't think of any other logical reasons why we may bite the dust, I'd be happy to fill you in on our human friends, matey.

My comment was simply a wish, a hope, that when we leave (and I think it's likely we will eventually leave), there won't be much of a trace of our existence.

By the way, what is your logical reason for thinking we will never become extinct?
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 04:16 pm
@Imnotrussian,
Is this the opening to a story?
0 Replies

Imnotrussian

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:11 pm
@Imnotrussian,
So you like what i wrote?
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:23 pm
@Imnotrussian,
Yeah, just trying to contextualize it in something. Not too fond of the humans are a plague theme that goes round here, but its cool prose.
0 Replies

Imnotrussian

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:25 pm
@Imnotrussian,
I am bitter about the nature of man, i suffer first hand experience on both sides, i was a monster and i have met worse
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:45 pm
@Imnotrussian,
LOL I have no illusions about the nature of man, positive and negative, but I also understand that we are what we are. Being is not a plague, it is being. Having a nature is neither good nor evil, it is simply having a nature.
0 Replies

Imnotrussian

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:46 pm
@Imnotrussian,
But the fact that wherever we go we destroy makes my blood boil
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 05:58 pm
@Imnotrussian,
It is sad, indeed,
but back to the piece.
Is it a prelude to something larger?
0 Replies

Imnotrussian

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:05 pm
@Imnotrussian,
I hope so Inspiration pops in my head with no cause or path but i do try and make something from it, any suggestions?
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:16 pm
@Imnotrussian,
Opening monologue of a protagonist? build a character around it.
0 Replies

Imnotrussian

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:18 pm
@Imnotrussian,
You try, expand on my source and see if together we can get a bestseller
0 Replies