what system is best for kids?

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 04:20 am
Looking for opinions... about age appropriate game systems for kids. We are looking for a system for our 7 yr old boy. But, we want to avoid all the shoot em up dumb down corporate advertising that seems to be everywhere.

Anyone have any ideas? Do the new systems (xbox, playstation...) have the right games? If so, what's better? Or, should we go for the original (simple) nintendo with mario bros and tetris?

Thanks. peace.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,799 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 06:24 am
Welcome to A2K radiorahim. I'm not sure about the xbox, but playstation doesn't have much to offer for small kids. If it were me, I'd go with the nintendo which has a huge variety of games for small children. I wouldn't go with nintendo64 because the system itself tends to freeze a lot and that is very frustrating. My son has platstation2, but he's 16 and he's into all those car racing games that platstation has many to offer. I have the super nintendo and the nintendo64 and the nintendo64 sits there collecting dust because of the freezing up on me. It's a shame because I bought it brand new and have used it very little. I also have a platstation, but since I like the kids games myself I don't use it much. I've had my super nintendo for years and never had any problems with it. I don't know if they sell them in stores anymore, but you can get them on ebay very cheap and the games are all very cheap there as well.

Good luck to you :-)
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
Most games that come out are avialable for each system so he wont be missing out, but Nintendo tends to have alot more games aimed towards younger kids that are not released on other systems (still some of the best games out there such as mario, mario kart, mario party, zelda series, Starwars rogue squadron) I would also recomend the nintendo GameCube because it is quite a bit cheaper than the other new systems, the other new systems have the ability to play DVDs which the nintendo does not(hence why it is cheaper) the game quality is still just as good as the other systems. in the end it comes down to a Ford vs Chevy argument, Iam sure your son will have some friends that will be sold on a particular system, this will be the main factor over what he THINKS he wants. I would recomend doing some research as well as renting the systems before buying.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 01:19 pm
i would say go with the game cube, it's cheap and has a ton of GREAT games for kids.

if he often has friends over, buy him a gamecube along with mario kart and super smash brothers melee. i would definately also consider super monkey ball 2 and maybe mario party. super smash bros and monkey ball are older so you should be able to find them used for about $20. they are all excellent games and all are multiplayer so they're very social too.

the xbox is really really good too though but i think the gamecube has more games that suit his age. whatever you do, just don't buy a playstation 2.
0 Replies

Mari

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:25 pm
I would have to say GameCube as well. I bought one for my kids a couple of years ago. The games for the other systems are not appropriate for younger children. We just got Mario Party 5 and it's a pretty good game...even I liked it. LOL
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:35 am
What is the best (game) system for the kids?

Blue sky, green grass, other kids.
0 Replies

cold storage

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 01:18 pm
Gamecube. Nintendo's always a safe bet.

Dope games, suitable for everyone.

Mario Kart: Double Dash
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Zelda:The Wind Waker

Then there's Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, etc, for when they're feeling gothic and darkly trigger-happy.

Woo-HOO! Very Happy
0 Replies

cold storage

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 01:21 pm
SealPoet wrote:
What is the best (game) system for the kids?

Blue sky, green grass, other kids.

Word. Can't argue that.

It's unfortunate that all kids want to do is play videogames and watch TV. They love it, but I don't know a single person my age who doesn't regret spending their youths in front of flickering boxes. They love it. I loved it, and would have resented my parents for forcing me elsewhere...in hindsight, though.. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Aressler

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 07:02 pm
No the absolute best for kids is super nintendo. So many games you cant count cheap and has the originals. cant beat it for kids. I still think snes is the best system who cares about graphics.
0 Replies

Kairon

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 12:19 am
I think a Nintendo GC will be best. It has heaps of simple and children-orientated games and I think he'll appreciate all the bright colours. PS2 is also another choice with games such as Ratchet & Clank, Crash Bandicoot Nitro Racing (I think that's what it's called), Jak & Daxter etc. I think you'll wanna stay clear away from the Xbox as I haven't seen too many "kiddy" games for that console.
0 Replies