What do we mean when we say we "understand"?

vectorcube

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 04:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;86680 wrote:
What has doubting I was hit in the face to do with what understanding is? .

Because if you know, then you would avoid being hit.

Quote:
Of course I understand what it means to be hit in the face.

That is what i am telling you. Where were you? Pay attention.

Quote:

It means, among other things, that I will try to avoid being hit in the face. But understanding what it means to be hit in the face is not a sensation or a feeling.

Good. for you, but where i did i ever said it was a sensation? You understanding a priori.

Quote:

It is a disposition to behave in certain ways. No one has the feeling of understanding

For the last time. I am not saying understanding is a feeling. You understand something if you understand something a priori. It is not a feel, and it is not public. It is private.
manored

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 04:47 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;86323 wrote:
Not so. I am very capable of expressing myself using language.
Ok, define "red" =)
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 04:57 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;86704 wrote:
Because if you know, then you would avoid being hit.

That is what i am telling you. Where were you? Pay attention.

Good. for you, but where i did i ever said it was a sensation? You understanding a priori.

For the last time. I am not saying understanding is a feeling. You understand something if you understand something a priori. It is not a feel, and it is not public. It is private.

Why would you say that I understand what being hit in the face is, a priori? Do you know what a priori means? It means, independently of any experience. What makes you think I understand what it is to be hit in the face independently of any experience?
manored

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 05:03 pm
@kennethamy,
Ironically, it seens there is a large amount of "misurestanding" in the discussion between you two. I suggest you re-read it =)
kennethamy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 05:07 pm
@manored,
manored;86713 wrote:
Ironically, it seens there is a large amount of "misurestanding" in the discussion between you two. I suggest you re-read it =)

Yes, I really have no idea what he is claiming is true. Obviously, I could not understand a sentence in English unless I learned English, and how would I learn English except empirically.
0 Replies

vectorcube

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 02:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;86712 wrote:
Why would you say that I understand what being hit in the face is, a priori? Do you know what a priori means? It means, independently of any experience. What makes you think I understand what it is to be hit in the face independently of any experience?

I don ` t understand what you are talking here. It seems intuitive for me to understanding how something feels is completely private.

I suppose, if you are being punched in the face. Would you not say you feel what it is like to be punched in the face? Do you not understand what it is like to be punched?

---------- Post added 10-07-2009 at 04:00 AM ----------

kennethamy;86715 wrote:
Yes, I really have no idea what he is claiming is true. Obviously, I could not understand a sentence in English unless I learned English, and how would I learn English except empirically.

How do you learn empirically? I am afraid i don` t understand empirically what you are talking about?
0 Replies