truth, realism, antirealism

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:59 am
So a method of philosophy is to giving necessary, and sufficient conditions for terms. We abbrivate it by "iff". One example of this is:

S knows p iff 1. S believes in p, 2. S is justified in p, and 3. p is true.

Notice that condition 1, and 2 focus mainly on the agent S. It deals with issues that are intrinsic to S. It is concerned with the intention, and attitude of S. Condition 3 is different from condition 1, and 2 in that it does not concern itself with the intention, and attitude of S. Condition 3 assumes that p has a true value( ie: true, false), and that something makes p true. What actually makes p true? Let` s look at it. Suppose p is "The moon is made of cheese". p has a definition truth value, so p could be either true, or false. You might claim that p is obviously falses, but why? You might reply with the reason that you could see the moon is clearly not made of cheese with the aid of some telescope. So, to make this intuition clear. You are saying we can determine the truth value of p by looking. Here is another problem. How do we know p is true if we can` t see anything. For example, we never see quarks, so how do we know they exist? How do know the number of quarks in an atom if we can` t see the quarks in the atom? How do we know the truth value of the proposition " There are 3 quarks in a proton"? These are important questions. The question of what makes p true is a important question in the theory of truth. The question of how we know the number of quarks in a proton is an important question in the debate on observables between scientific realism, and antirealism.

Reply to the two questions i mentioned above.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 579 • Replies: 1
No top replies

richrf

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 10:23 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;77929 wrote:
How do we know p is true if we can` t see anything.

And, I would go even further. How do two people reconcile what might be the truth if they disagree on what they sense? Suppose someone cannot see?

I have mentioned on other threads, that I see truth as consensus building between two or more individuals - and the consensus on what is true might vary from group to group. At the end, it is the agreement (or disagreement) between two or more individual minds. Actually, pagan gave a very nice write up over here:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/epistemology/5216-true-definition-truth-8.html#post77905

Niels Bohr, had is own take on the proposition of Quantum Physics and Physics in general:

Quantum Physics: Niels Bohr: Explaining Bohr's Model of the Atom. Niels (Neils) Bohr Biography, Quotes, Pictures

"When it comes to atoms, language can be used only as in poetry. The poet, too, is not nearly so concerned with describing facts as with creating images."

"It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how Nature is. Physics concerns what we say about Nature."

A very interesting point of view from one of the father's of Quantum Physics. I tend to embrace this perspective. I personally have no problem with the notion that we may never know the truth. I am comfortable that we are creating images that allow us to communicate with each other about the nature of our existences, as we individually see it.

Rich
0 Replies