Pick a topic

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:26 pm
Should we automaticallyassume someone wants to be an organ donor? Wouldn't it make more sense to have people who don't want to donate sign something to that effect?

Should people convicted of drunk driving have to buy some really expensive special liscense plate for their car?

When applying for health or life insurance should it be manditory that you file a physicans directive? (The insurance company should not be allowed to see this as they would surely find a way to screw people who wanted a lot of treatment.)

Just some unrelated questions that I'd like to hear some opinion on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 921 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:37 pm
Quote:
Should we automaticallyassume someone wants to be an organ donor? Wouldn't it make more sense to have people who don't want to donate sign something to that effect?

At first blush, it seems like a sensible idea. When I think about it, I realized that if a lack of dissent means that a person wants to donate, that method would be open to a lot of abuse. A person's dissent could get "lost", etc. I think that a person needs to give express permission, in order to have his organs harvested.

Boomerang- I think that all of these questions are interesting enough to rate their own thread!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:40 pm
Re: Pick a topic
boomerang wrote:
Should people convicted of drunk driving have to buy some really expensive special liscense plate for their car?

Nope. They shouldn't be allowed to own a car never mind have one registered.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:46 pm
That's a good point, Phoenix. Still, it seems that I've read that the relatives making the decision often back down at the last minute when asked to donte organs. I hope I never ever have to make that decision for someone else because I imagine that the emotions would be overwhelming.

I did think about asking them as individual questions but I haven't really thought through my own position yet. They're just a few ideas that have been knocking around my head.

I agree with you completely fishin'. It makes me nuts when I read about someone being arrested for the 4th time on such charges. Taking their drivers liscense away just isn't working. I was just thinking that maybe making these lunkheads more conspicuous might help. Plus, the extra cash generated by such a program could help pay for diversion programs or some such thing.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 04:50 pm
Discussion on Organ Donation here @ A2K
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 05:01 pm
Thanks, husker. I've posted my response there already.

(Umm. I mean the "just now" kind of "already".)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
About the organ doner bit... have you read any Larry Niven? Jigsaw Man, I think is the title of the short story that carries involuntary organ donation out to its logical extreme. Capital punishment becomes a source of organs. So, in an effort to extend lives, more and more crimes become capital crimes... like jaywalking.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:03 am
Ah! The old reductio ad absurdum ploy. An oldie but goodie, SealPoet.

I'm not saying that anyone would be giving their organs involunatrily. What I'm thinking is that there needs to be a change in thinking about organ donation - instead of something heroic it should be something commonplace, something expected. Anyone who wanted to could opt out - they would just follow the standards that people who do want to donate follow now - sign a registray, put it on their drivers liscense, tell their friends and family.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:00 pm
It is on my driver's liscense I love thought of my organs continuing on in some one who needs them. However, I would like the option to say that my liver and kidneys cannot go to a movie star/rock star alcoholic.

Any one know why they always get to go to the top of the list?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:10 pm
It's on my drivers licence too. I seem to remember that there are countries where it's automatic unless specifically recorded otherwise. Can't remember where I heard it though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 08:22 pm
Hey there JoanneDorel.

I would be nice if you could specify.

The thing that stated this tumbling round my head was reading an article that said prisioners were actually jumped to the head of the list.

I thought that was really bizarre.

I wasn't aware that celebrities seemed to get to the top of the list.....

<sigh>

It just seems to me that our whole mindset is wrong about organ donation. It should be so normal.
0 Replies