Steve Pavlina

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:23 pm
I recently got banned from his forums for questioning a product he promotes D:

I like alot of his articles though! his philosophy's are good but his community is a little cult like.

What do you guys think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:40 pm
@glasstrees,
He's a self-help jerk who pens articles to make money. Whether or not his... "philosophy"... is worth reading is beside the point: so long as it produces an income stream, this Pavlina fellow will be happy with his work.
0 Replies

EquesLignite

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:40 pm
@glasstrees,
I have not read his books, but most self-help books that are in the market today are rehash of old ideas that have been there hundreds or thousands of years ago. Maybe reading ancient Greek or Asian books and classics will do more than reading those contemporary self-help tracts.
glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:57 pm
@EquesLignite,
EquesLignite;71862 wrote:
I have not read his books, but most self-help books that are in the market today are rehash of old ideas that have been there hundreds or thousands of years ago. Maybe reading ancient Greek or Asian books and classics will do more than reading those contemporary self-help tracts.

He only has one book and it recently came out. His blog is his main thing.

These are some of his articles. what do you think of them?

10 Reasons You Should Never Have a Religion

Levels of Consciousness

The Meaning of Life: Intro

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:57 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas;71841 wrote:
He's a self-help jerk who pens articles to make money. Whether or not his... "philosophy"... is worth reading is beside the point: so long as it produces an income stream, this Pavlina fellow will be happy with his work.

Theres not really anything wrong with making money from shareing value though.. And thats what he is doing.
however.

Its kinda like a doctor can use his skills to help people. And get paid for it. Fair enough.. But the problem would be if the doctor started selling out and saying you need things that you dont.

So i would dismiss it as a purely just for him to make money.
He claims if he wasnt making money from his content he would still be doing it but trying to make money from it. his motive isnt the money but the money is good because its only fair.

But yeah. My fear is that he really doesnt care about helping other people. And just manipulates there beliefs in a way them makes them want to buy stuff he affiliates.

His wife is also a psychic. He refers alot of people to her and she charges alot for her readings. I understand it is possible that psychic's are genuine but I havnt had any experience atall leading me to believe this.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:02 pm
@glasstrees,
There is nothing wrong with making money as you spread something of value, no. But is this guy's work actually valuable?
From a quick look at the sight, I have my doubts.

His wife is an expensive psychic and this guy refers people to her? Yeah, they are just out to turn a buck off of other people's genuine curiosity. That's pathetic.
glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;71902 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with making money as you spread something of value, no. But is this guy's work actually valuable?
From a quick look at the sight, I have my doubts.

His wife is an expensive psychic and this guy refers people to her? Yeah, they are just out to turn a buck off of other people's genuine curiosity. That's pathetic.

Yeah. I guess if you alow yourself to become a follower then its bad.

The things you can't argue are fair are articles he writes like "how to get up early" It helped me and its fair that he drives traffic and makes money for that.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:11 pm
@glasstrees,
Wow, his advice on sleep: "Go to bed only when you're too sleepy to stay up, and get up at a fixed time every morning."

Not exactly a breakthrough.

Consider the title of the site: "For Smart People"

Why only for smart people? Shouldn't less-than-smart people be privy to the information as well? Clearly Pavlina makes no effort to shield less-than-smart people from his site. The title is intended to make readers feel special. This is typical self-help tactics in use on a blog.

Self-help is no good, my friend.
glasstrees

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:50 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;71908 wrote:
Wow, his advice on sleep: "Go to bed only when you're too sleepy to stay up, and get up at a fixed time every morning."

Not exactly a breakthrough.

Consider the title of the site: "For Smart People"

Why only for smart people? Shouldn't less-than-smart people be privy to the information as well? Clearly Pavlina makes no effort to shield less-than-smart people from his site. The title is intended to make readers feel special. This is typical self-help tactics in use on a blog.

Self-help is no good, my friend.

He said this because most people think ofthemselves as smart so it doesnt really mean much. Its kind of a joke.

But yeah anyway.

I think personal development is important but guys like him package it in a way that means you don't have to actually think. I think you can get some value out of them if you don't start seeing them as a god like some people do. He did open me up to the idea of looking at life from the perspective of consciousness and not to get caught up in things.
0 Replies