the concept of an angel

sneer

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:44 pm
Assuming the religion is purposeful, and its description is honest and fair - what is the role of an angel, in your opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 950 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@sneer,
That being something beautiful does not make you a better human being.
We must walk and run to catch our buses not fly there.
Exercise is good for the body and soul.
sneer

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:10 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;130832 wrote:
That being something beautiful does not make you a better human being.
We must walk and run to catch our buses not fly there.
Exercise is good for the body and soul.

I really don't understand..
OK, maybe my questions was unclear:

1. By a definition and etymology, angels are messengers.
My doubt is:
a) messengers from God to a human - why a God needs messengers?
b) messengers from human to God - why humans have to talk to angels and not directly to God?

2. They seem to be acting beings, as God is not doing things directly (that was a finding of Aristotle, as far as I remember) - does it mean, God doesn't want to act directly or is he unable to do that?

3. If nope of above, maybe the angel is just rhetoric figure for something incomprehensible?
Zetherin

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:15 am
@sneer,
Shouldn't we look at the role of angels in Christianity, for instance, in order to understand the role they played in the biblical accounts? Or do you wish us to conjure up a new religion, and then assign roles to some beings we will call "angels"?

I'm not too clear on your question.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:24 am
@sneer,
sneer;130810 wrote:
Assuming the religion is purposeful, and its description is honest and fair - what is the role of an angel, in your opinion?

Someone who provides money to produce a show (usually on Broadway).
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:54 am
@sneer,
sneer;131003 wrote:
I really don't understand..
OK, maybe my questions was unclear:

My doubt is:
b) messengers from human to God - why humans have to talk to angels and not directly to God?

2. They seem to be acting beings, as God is not doing things directly (that was a finding of Aristotle, as far as I remember) - does it mean, God doesn't want to act directly or is he unable to do that?

3. If nope of above, maybe the angel is just rhetoric figure for something incomprehensible?

God is lazy. He is all powerful but he had to take a full day to rest. Doesn't sound very powerful to me. Maybe he doesn't drink coffee. I know people who work seven days a week and enjoy it. I guess they are blasphemers though. Anyways god needs angels to do his job. He can't be everywhere at the same time, (yes I know despite people saying he can be) so he uses angels to do his work for him. If you had a google of souls to keep track of you are probably going to need a little help.

Oh by the way, I don't believe in angels, it's just another aspect of the invisible friend. Friends of the invisible friend.
0 Replies

sneer

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131006 wrote:
Shouldn't we look at the role of angels in Christianity, for instance, in order to understand the role they played in the biblical accounts? Or do you wish us to conjure up a new religion, and then assign roles to some beings we will call "angels"?

well, I only know a little Christianity and Bible, in fact. But imagined, this concept is not an original one. My intention was pure curiosity...this is one of few concepts of the Bible, which purpose seems to be unclear. The liturgy found it once useful, why? this is my question.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:16 pm
@sneer,
sneer;131084 wrote:
well, I only know a little Christianity and Bible, in fact. But imagined, this concept is not an original one. My intention was pure curiosity...this is one of few concepts of the Bible, which purpose seems to be unclear. The liturgy found it once useful, why? this is my question.

I don't think their purpose was unclear. They were the messengers of God, and were often the only beings that materialized to humans. Sometimes, I think, they were even presented to humans by God in order to restore faith. I believe they also acted as dispicles, spreading the 'Word of God'. And didn't some fight literally for God? I'll have to brush up on my Bible lessons, but I thought some had swords to defend the kingdom of Heaven.
sneer

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 02:09 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131088 wrote:
I don't think their purpose was unclear. They were the messengers of God, and were often the only beings that materialized to humans.

...and this is, where my question arisen. Why God is not materializing as himself? Why he is using messengers? Or - what was the intent of those, who wrote the Holy Bible?
Zetherin

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 02:24 pm
@sneer,
sneer;131112 wrote:
...and this is, where my question arisen. Why God is not materializing as himself? Why he is using messengers? Or - what was the intent of those, who wrote the Holy Bible?

Oh, those are questions I cannot answer. All I can tell you is how the story goes, my friend. I can not tell you why the story goes the way it goes.

Hell, I can't make sense out of most mystical/metaphysical talk. Sorry, I'm sure there's someone else on here that can help you, though.
0 Replies

Trisemigistus

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 12:46 am
@sneer,
sneer;131112 wrote:

It is, my understanding, that God cannot be seen by mere humans. God is so powerful and beautiful that a human would lose their mind if they set eyes upon God, or their eyes would burn out. Something to that effect.

So, in order to protect his children from himself, he sends angels in his place.

I have a bit more on this, but im a bit tired, so maybe on the next post there will be more.
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:23 am
@sneer,
The concept of an angel. Now that's good stuff, even if it's complete fiction. A human imagines himself, except he is generally devoid of the body-as-problem. An angel is a wo/man that doesn't age, screw, excrete, or sleep. Seems like an perfect candidate to exist on the chain of being twixt god(s) and man.

Perhaps angels serve some as a more obviously anthropomorphic object of worship/fellowship. The transcendent God of negative theology is not for image-hungry.
0 Replies

sneer

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:11 am
@Trisemigistus,
Trisemigistus;132696 wrote:

So, in order to protect his children from himself, he sends angels in his place.

such feature would be useless.

---------- Post added 02-26-2010 at 02:16 PM ----------

Reconstructo;132709 wrote:
A human imagines himself, except he is generally devoid of the body-as-problem. An angel is a wo/man that doesn't age, screw, excrete, or sleep.

well, I like this view. It's possible, that liturgy adapted angels for making a God more imaginable to simple minds and as a material for vivid imaginations and stories. What do you think?
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 12:45 am
@sneer,
In a way, angels do exist. And they don't have to wipe their ass*s. We do! Our vivid imagination of future self, future humanity....exist as numinous concept, a messenger from some inferred god behind the scene somehow....(hamlet's dad, who was played by shakespeare, who is quite the symbol for humanity in general)
0 Replies

awareness

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 04:11 pm
@sneer,
My doubt is:

The goal of all life is to recognize it's connection to God. Once recognized you free yourself from this universe to a more stable plane that also offers peace and contentment.

Angels are souls that have left the physical plane and are aiding others to be freed from this universe.

If God were to act directly with causality it would become trapped like we are.

sneer

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:04 am
@awareness,
awareness;138394 wrote:

The goal of all life is to recognize it's connection to God.

???
For instance, my goal is quite different. Are you priest or evangelist?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:34 am
@sneer,
sneer;130810 wrote:
IIRC there should be different kind of angels, they'r acting like messengers, community workers, soldiers and policemen.
0 Replies