1
   

Highest and best tools

 
 
Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 09:58 am
necessitatepass on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,030 • Replies: 8
No top replies

 
PoeticVisionary
 
  1  
Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 04:01 pm
@ValueRanger,
I can't quote this because I'm trying to remember where I heard it. However, new studies have shown that nature does not always favor the strongest, it should be saying nature favors the most adaptable. Which it seems you are stating in you post. When I remember where I got this from I will post it. If I'm erroneous in this matter I will also post it.
0 Replies
 
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:47 am
@ValueRanger,
Humans have only one tool, and it is our ability with forms, ideas, concepts, and etc....It is through forms that we adapt... Every change for humanity has been accomplished with a change of forms...A violent change of forms is a revolution...We only have to remember that what we are cannot easily be changed...We cannot change our basic needs, or our general attitude...People who ask why will people not change do not get the point... We change all the time, but to remain the same we change our forms....And Ideally, we should get more out of our forms than we put in... We build a house and get a lot of use out of it....Eventually we must put more into maintainance than we get out of the dwelling, and so we build a new one...The same is true of government, and law, and all moral forms...Physical forms can only be discovered and improved upon...
rhinogrey
 
  1  
Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 06:37 pm
@Fido,
Fido;78576 wrote:
Humans have only one tool, and it is our ability with forms, ideas, concepts, and etc....It is through forms that we adapt... Every change for humanity has been accomplished with a change of forms...A violent change of forms is a revolution...We only have to remember that what we are cannot easily be changed...We cannot change our basic needs, or our general attitude...People who ask why will people not change do not get the point... We change all the time, but to remain the same we change our forms....And Ideally, we should get more out of our forms than we put in... We build a house and get a lot of use out of it....Eventually we must put more into maintainance than we get out of the dwelling, and so we build a new one...The same is true of government, and law, and all moral forms...Physical forms can only be discovered and improved upon...

There's a dominant tendency in Western culture to preserve, to deny motion and honor tradition. Your words have a ring of the Tibetan Buddhist concept of impermanence; it seems they've assimilated the physical principle you discuss into their metaphysical worldview; eg. they do not, as we do, preserve famous artworks or cultural icons, they build them anew. We hang on to the past like it is god, what we must understand is that god is the present.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 07:10 pm
@rhinogrey,
rhinogrey;78889 wrote:
There's a dominant tendency in Western culture to preserve, to deny motion and honor tradition. Your words have a ring of the Tibetan Buddhist concept of impermanence; it seems they've assimilated the physical principle you discuss into their metaphysical worldview; eg. they do not, as we do, preserve famous artworks or cultural icons, they build them anew. We hang on to the past like it is god, what we must understand is that god is the present.

People hang onto the present at their peril...Only by making certain of the future can they be sure of today... Only the dead live in the past, and that is no place to be...
0 Replies
 
urangutan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:52 am
@ValueRanger,
Survival of the fittest, is a genetic myth within the human race. It is a theory that applies in multiple birth. One Ovum released by the female human and a few hundred thousand sperm buddies, if the count is calculated so. Value Ranger, are you implying at all, that this is the agenda of such a theory.

You can stretch the qualia state of high and low, as far as you like. Provided you keep the masses fooled in the middle. The rich listen to the really poor because they speak of necessity, while the middle pages are magazine comercials. This is where we are, the U.S. of A., Australia, most other western countries. Notice anything about the failed ones.

The tool you ask of is not the ear. I have yet to see a qualified eloquent systematic disintegration based on one listening to the other. I would say the gift of giving and recieving, with honour and respect would come pretty close.

I like the ring in Fido's depiction, Rhinogrey. It lacks personality but are we concerned with the trivia of emotional sustenance, when considering change. I would like to think we should be but that is my opinion. I would also beg to differ, in that God is concern of the present so as to effect our past and in doing so, alow the people to assist the future.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:36 am
@ValueRanger,
You know that multiple births are not a asset to a women in any sense...The evil twin is the story of our past...People would judge the twins to see which was evil, and destroy it, or adopt it out... Among the Native Americans, this practice made twinning more common rather than less, because more mothers survived and more of the babies survived because their mothers survived, and the surviving mother passed on the trait to others still...

Survival of the fittest is not our problem, but to survive fit; and for that we need a large and diverse gene pool... We might also try to cut down on the culs...Encourage them not to breed, or something...
0 Replies
 
ValueRanger
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:12 am
@urangutan,
urangutan;78969 wrote:
Survival of the fittest, is a genetic myth within the human race. It is a theory that applies in multiple birth. One Ovum released by the female human and a few hundred thousand sperm buddies, if the count is calculated so. Value Ranger, are you implying at all, that this is the agenda of such a theory.

"Fit" and adaptability are perfectly compatible. We constantly bridge value gaps in hierarchical topology (Form). Consider the problem solver, of which each of us are, that fits the need with a solve. This is our sustainable heritage that the highest and best philosophy need fit.

We are constantly discovering/evolving a more-and-more pliable hardware, so surely philosophy must be kept on par, and will thusly reflect in the bridging of generation, to generation.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:29 pm
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;79002 wrote:
"Fit" and adaptability are perfectly compatible. We constantly bridge value gaps in hierarchical topology (Form). Consider the problem solver, of which each of us are, that fits the need with a solve. This is our sustainable heritage that the highest and best philosophy need fit.

We are constantly discovering/evolving a more-and-more pliable hardware, so surely philosophy must be kept on par, and will thusly reflect in the bridging of generation, to generation.

I know it is just an analogy, but people do not have hardware... What is more, the basic person is not adaptable at all...Our human needs are our human needs and they cannot be denied...Yet we have adapted to almost every enviroment on the earth by our use of forms, which we can change...Ask why people do not more often change their minds... They cannot change their minds because it would throw all their notions of truth out of the window in pieces... What we think is what we are...What we feel is who we are; and we change forms because we cannot change ourselves...Or our hardware...
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
DOES NOTHING EXIST??? - Question by mark noble
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Highest and best tools
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/15/2019 at 04:58:15