Health, Money and Fear

richrf

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 02:26 pm
Hi,

Interesting article and video forwarded to me by my friend living now in the Czech Republic.

MinnPost - Doc's documentary takes hard look at costs of health care

"Health, Money and Fear," in which he asks doctors, hospital administrators, professors and ethicists across the country to frankly answer these questions about health care: "Why does it cost so much?

On a lighter note, this same friend of mine related this story to me of his friend that he has been living with for several years, who was a practicing general practitioner M.D in Germany for about 40 years, just retired.

When she was ill recently, my friend asked her why doesn't she go to a doctor. Her reply was: "Oh, they don't know what they are doing." Go figure.Smile

Rich
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 7
No top replies

William

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:32 pm
@richrf,
richrf;77070 wrote:
Hi,

Interesting article and video forwarded to me by my friend living now in the Czech Republic.

MinnPost - Doc's documentary takes hard look at costs of health care

"Health, Money and Fear," in which he asks doctors, hospital administrators, professors and ethicists across the country to frankly answer these questions about health care: "Why does it cost so much?

On a lighter note, this same friend of mine related this story to me of his friend that he has been living with for several years, who was a practicing general practitioner M.D in Germany for about 40 years, just retired.

When she was ill recently, my friend asked her why doesn't she go to a doctor. Her reply was: "Oh, they don't know what they are doing." Go figure.Smile

Rich

Outstanding contribution, Rich. I have nothing to add. Now, what do we do about it?

William
richrf

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:53 pm
@William,
William;77100 wrote:
Outstanding contribution, Rich. I have nothing to add. Now, what do we do about it?

William

Hi William,

Nothing, I think can be done on a grand scale in a short period of time (one life time). Physicians are very adept at using fear and people really don't want to spend the necessary time to learn how to take care of themselves. So what is, is.

What I do, is I talk to people when they ask me questions and give them ideas. Many of my peers and older (50, 60 and 70 age group), are looking for alternative ways to maintain their health, and noticing that I have not aged that much and am still very vital and energetic, they will come to me and ask me questions from time to time. I am more than happy to spend time giving them ideas. So, in a small way, I help to increase awareness in people that they can do many things to improve their overall well-being.

I am satisfied doing what I can to assist people who ask.

How about you?

Rich
William

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:26 pm
@richrf,
richrf;77128 wrote:
Hi William,

Nothing, I think can be done on a grand scale in a short period of time (one life time). Physicians are very adept at using fear and people really don't want to spend the necessary time to learn how to take care of themselves. So what is, is.

What I do, is I talk to people when they ask me questions and give them ideas. Many of my peers and older (50, 60 and 70 age group), are looking for alternative ways to maintain their health, and noticing that I have not aged that much and am still very vital and energetic, they will come to me and ask me questions from time to time. I am more than happy to spend time giving them ideas. So, in a small way, I help to increase awareness in people that they can do many things to improve their overall well-being.

I am satisfied doing what I can to assist people who ask.

How about you?

Rich

Ditto! Thanks Rich.

William
0 Replies

Richardgrant

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:19 am
@richrf,
Richrf, I have studied the Russell philosophy and combined it with the sermon on the mount with wonderful success so far as overcoming all my body ailments without the use of doctors,diet, pills or exercise. I am now at the age of eighty enjoying excellent hralth. I have web site you may like to look at, and I have written book on the subject called 'Nothing Matters.' <www.giveitnothought.com> Richard
richrf

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:24 am
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant;77145 wrote:
Richrf, I have studied the Russell philosophy and combined it with the sermon on the mount with wonderful success so far as overcoming all my body ailments without the use of doctors,diet, pills or exercise. I am now at the age of eighty enjoying excellent hralth. I have web site you may like to look at, and I have written book on the subject called 'Nothing Matters.' <www.giveitnothought.com> Richard

Thank you for the link Richard. I have found that everyone is unique and has their own unique path in life. I congratulate you on your good health.

Rich
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:42 am
@richrf,
richrf;77070 wrote:
Once I was very ill, I had 5 different docs just for sake of experiment, and all 5 would dispence their own unique oppinion of my illness. Doctors with their own private practise covers too great a spectre, imo the common doctor can't possible remember all the knowledge of all the books, nor keep updated on all things, and still have a reasonable life ..it's just impossible.

Maybe the day we get robots who are intelligent, we can actually have safer diagnoses and treatment.
0 Replies

StochasticBeauty

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 12:56 am
@richrf,
I have an economics background and it's posts like these that bring reassurance to my heart.

It is true the healthcare system is fundementally flawed at this moment. why you ask?

well off the top of my head: other than the eventual value in the dollar people are living longer, technology/RD is becoming greater thus generating once again more cost through value and finally (checkout malthusian pressures) population in North America is increases just like everywhere else.
0 Replies