Is all criticism autobiographical?

richrf

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 05:23 pm
Hi all,

Famously stated Wilde in his Preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray:

[CENTER]"The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography."

Often I read or hear myself or someone else criticize someone else, and I think to myself, is he/she revealing something about himself/herself. It is quite interesting what I observe. Try it, and let me know what you come up with.

Rich

[/CENTER]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,509 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@richrf,
Sure,

Just as Wilde's reflection on criticism is an example of autobiography by that author.
richrf

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:20 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;68416 wrote:
Sure,

Just as Wilde's reflection on criticism is an example of autobiography by that author.

Quite the way I see it. I looked on with some bemusement, at all of the critiques that Wilde leveled at others, and wondered to myself - "My this was a very interesting man. What was he trying to say to himself."

I think criticism is one way that the mind tries to relate back to itself (feedback), what is is seeing in itself, and what needs to be learned. I always listen closely to my criticism, and wonder, what am I trying to say to myself.

Thanks for the reply.

Rich
0 Replies