Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:47 am
@richrf,
Do you have any way to falsify Jungian dream analysis
richrf

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 12:16 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;80008 wrote:
Do you have any way to falsify Jungian dream analysis

I don't know. You should read it. I think you will find it enjoyable.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 12:24 pm
@richrf,
richrf;80016 wrote:
I don't know.

It was pretty much a rhetorical question. (There isn't really a way to falsify dream analysis. Anything goes.)

richrf;80016 wrote:
You should read it. I think you will find it enjoyable.

I used to like these kinds of things when I was in middle school. I realized then they were bunk through my own reading, and come to think of it, a number of the greatest skeptics are former woowoos, too. Michael Shermer and Susan Blackmore come to mind.

Anyway, I'd probably try to kill myself with antifreeze if I ever found myself reading that kind of thing again.
richrf

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 12:45 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;80017 wrote:
Anyway, I'd probably try to kill myself with antifreeze if I ever found myself reading that kind of thing again.

Interesting thought. I wonder how one comes to such a thought?

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:08 pm
@richrf,
richrf;80027 wrote:
Interesting thought. I wonder how one comes to such a thought?

Rich

It's exaggeration: occasionally I'll read pseudoscientific junk for the lulz, but seriously you're a grown adult already and you don't know how embarrassing this stuff is. There's hope for you yet, but you need to be open-minded. I've indulged in science and non-science both, seen both sides of the coin, figured out which side is better with my own mind. Maybe you will see one day too.
richrf

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:09 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;80028 wrote:
It's exaggeration: occasionally I'll read pseudoscientific junk for the lulz, but seriously you're a grown adult already and you don't know how embarrassing this stuff is. There's hope for you yet, but you need to be open-minded.

This is why you should re-read Jung. I think you will find it very illuminating. I do.

How did that song go? Me and My Shadow .....

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:16 pm
@richrf,
richrf;80029 wrote:
This is why you should re-read Jung. I think you will find it very illuminating. I do.

No double jeopardy. It's been tried already. It's not falsifiable.
richrf

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:25 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;80031 wrote:
No double jeopardy. It's been tried already. It's not falsifiable.

:detective:

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:32 pm
@richrf,
richrf;80034 wrote:
:detective:

Rich

Yes, a detective. That's the idea. I presumed dream analysis innocent of being bunk but convicted it on compelling evidence. It has now been slapped with a restraining order and is not allowed within 300m of my mind.

And I'm just going to adblock that detective image if you continue using it to squirm around points.
0 Replies

AOS

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:32 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;74733 wrote:
It is not fundamentalism just my me speculating,Monads is a term for sentient life I picked up somewhere, I will look it up and report back

Here it is as promised

Monadology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(III)fractals"Monads, Centers of Consciousness" by G. de Purucker

However deeply the mind plunges into the abysses of thought, it will never reach anything more than an ever-expanding consciousness of itself: the ultimate Self, the god within, the atman. This is the monad.

This is the perpetual individual, the spiritual individuality, the indivisible part of us. The heart of the monad, its superior fountain of life and intelligence, is a divine monad, the inner god. But the word monad is used in a general way for a variety of consciousness centers in man.

There is the spiritual monad, offspring of the divine monad; there is the human monad, offspring of the spiritual monad; there is the vital-astral monad, offspring of the human monad. All these together form the human constitution.

Each such monad, no matter what its grade, is an evolving entity. All that we are as human beings we derive ultimately from the monadic essence which is surrounding the inmost. Our spiritual intelligence, our instincts for noble thinking, for kindly and brotherly action, the impulses to compassion which fill our hearts, the love which so dignifies us, the loftiest intuitions which our nature is capable of -- all these are derivative from and rooted in the monad.

The spiritual monad, which is the 'heart' of the reincarnating ego, is itself rooted in the divine monad or inner god, the deathless part of us. Without the influence or rays from the monad streaming into our human consciousness, we should be merely human beasts. The monad would be there, though inactive, and we should indeed be humans, but spiritually darkened and unawakened.

Just information I don't subscribe to it

However deeply the mind plunges into the abysses of thought, it will never reach anything more than an ever-expanding consciousness of itself: the ultimate Self, the god within, the atman. This is the monad. This is the perpetual individual, the spiritual individuality, the indivisible part of us. The heart of the monad, its superior fountain of life and intelligence, is a divine monad, the inner god. But the word monad is used in a general way for a variety of consciousness centers in man. There is the spiritual monad, offspring of the divine monad; there is the human monad, offspring of the spiritual monad; there is the vital-astral monad, offspring of the human monad. All these together form the human constitution.

Each such monad, no matter what its grade, is an evolving entity. All that we are as human beings we derive ultimately from the monadic essence which is surrounding the inmost. Our spiritual intelligence, our instincts for noble thinking, for kindly and brotherly action, the impulses to compassion which fill our hearts, the love which so dignifies us, the loftiest intuitions which our nature is capable of -- all these are derivative from and rooted in the monad. The spiritual monad, which is the 'heart' of the reincarnating ego, is itself rooted in the divine monad or inner god, the deathless part of us. Without the influence or rays from the monad streaming into our human consciousness, we should be merely human beasts. The monad would be there, though inactive, and we should indeed be humans, but spiritually darkened and unawakened.

However deeply the mind plunges into the abysses of thought, it will never reach anything more than an ever-expanding consciousness of itself: the ultimate Self, the god within, the atman. This is the monad. This is the perpetual individual, the spiritual individuality, the indivisible part of us. The heart of the monad, its superior fountain of life and intelligence, is a divine monad, the inner god. But the word monad is used in a general way for a variety of consciousness centers in man. There is the spiritual monad, offspring of the divine monad; there is the human monad, offspring of the spiritual monad; there is the vital-astral monad, offspring of the human monad. All these together form the human constitution.

Each such monad, no matter what its grade, is an evolving entity. All that we are as human beings we derive ultimately from the monadic essence which is surrounding the inmost. Our spiritual intelligence, our instincts for noble thinking, for kindly and brotherly action, the impulses to compassion which fill our hearts, the love which so dignifies us, the loftiest intuitions which our nature is capable of -- all these are derivative from and rooted in the monad. The spiritual monad, which is the 'heart' of the reincarnating ego, is itself rooted in the divine monad or inner god, the deathless part of us. Without the influence or rays from the monad streaming into our human consciousness, we should be merely human beasts. The monad would be there, though inactive, and we should indeed be humans, but spiritually darkened and unawakened.

Peace

i was reading your post and i started to think on my own and maybe i misunderstood the message you were trying to convey but i started to come up with something that i think came from what you said

what if our mind isn't just to our bodies
its is for this matter, or realm, or like you said for this garden of plants. but when we sleep our mind, our consciousness goes into another body or monad? in another garden or in the same garden but to a different plant ?

im not sure if this makes sense but it is something i thought up if its just a crazy thought im sorry im a pretty young philosopher so bear with me :bigsmile:
richrf

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 09:24 am
@AOS,
AOS;80127 wrote:
what if our mind isn't just to our bodies
its is for this matter, or realm, or like you said for this garden of plants. but when we sleep our mind, our consciousness goes into another body or monad? in another garden or in the same garden but to a different plant ?

im not sure if this makes sense but it is something i thought up if its just a crazy thought im sorry im a pretty young philosopher so bear with me :bigsmile:

Yes. Sheldrake also suggests that there are morphic fields, energy fields that are constantly changing and which one or more participates in. He uses this to explain crowd and growth phenomenon in all species. Dreams could be such a morphic field.

Rich
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 03:02 pm
@richrf,
What's the evidence for the existence of morphic fields
0 Replies