Is there a reason for everything? Anything?

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:53 pm
Is there a reason why gravity behaves the way it does? If so, what is the reason for the reason and so on? How does the infinite regress end? Most of us have played the game with our parents of asking a question and then saying "why?" to each answer until our parents simply said "I don't know why" or "just because". Can we (in theory) keep asking why forever? Where should we stop? Should we ever get started?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 13
No top replies

William

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:55 pm
@Satan phil,
You are quick, I'll give you that. Ha. Still I would like a little time.

William
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:24 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;75779 wrote:
Is there a reason why gravity behaves the way it does? If so, what is the reason for the reason and so on? How does the infinite regress end? Most of us have played the game with our parents of asking a question and then saying "why?" to each answer until our parents simply said "I don't know why" or "just because". Can we (in theory) keep asking why forever? Where should we stop? Should we ever get started?

Seems reasonable to me that it doesn't matter whether there is a reason or not.
Joe

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:27 pm
@Elmud,
Lately Ive been disappointed in the Advanced Scientific field. Where's there intuition that seemed to be growing up until 80 years ago? I sure as hell cant do it. haha.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 09:47 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;75779 wrote:
. Can we (in theory) keep asking why forever? Where should we stop? Should we ever get started?

This may be all there is. It may all be one big game.

Did you ever play a game of hide-and-seek and keep looking and looking and looking? It is fun to search - though the game can be frustrating at times.

Rich
vectorcube

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:02 am
@richrf,
In all honestly, i ask this question all the time. I had read thick books, and listening to lectures on it. I have wonder about it night to night until it wakes me from sleep. It builts character.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:49 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;75779 wrote:

'Reasons', 'whys', are collateral with the (scientifically obsolete) notion of 'cause and effect' that is collateral with a 'linear' Perspective.
Without 'linearity' there is no 'reason', there is no 'why', there are no 'thoughts' of 'cause and effect'.
What is, is!
So, there is (exists) 'reason' and all, but it (they) is in the eye of the linear beholder...
All that 'reasoning' (linearity), on the other hand, adds great breadth and depth... texture... to the complete Universe.
0 Replies

validity

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:41 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;75779 wrote:
I guess it could be said that infinite regress ends at, depending on the field, the founding assumption, axiom, postulate etc. A theory has a domain and therefore can not be expected to hold answers to questions outside that domain.

You are right, there is always room to ask why X and not Y, but if it contains the qualities of a founding assumption, or set up by definition, it does not require to be proved. It is annoying...
0 Replies

dawoel

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 04:00 am
@Satan phil,
There are numerous approaches to the infinate regress problem, one such is proofs, in which you can't really provide any more explaination than you have already given. Then again you could always ask why proofs do this, and then your back to square 1. The way I deal with it is basically not to and not to see it as a problem but actually as a solution in itself. Basically, trying to find the Ultimate Answer To Life The Universe And Everything, is the equivalent of trying to find the maximum or minimum number, this is of course impossible. If you ask a stupid and meaningless question like "what is the answer to life the universe and everything" you will of course get a meaningless and stupid answer like "42", (those who know the Hitchhikers Guide know what I'm talking about). In fact I am prepaired to bet good money that if you ask enough questions you will eventually start asking the same questions more than once, in other words, the whole of reality is one gargantuan circular argument. But this is, in itself the answer I think, for I believe the goal is not in the finding but in the search, the journey not the destination. Life, philosophically and biologically and is largely associated with the idea of "continuation", hence you survive as long as possible and pass on your genes so they continue to exist. I think therefore, the most important "if not the ultimate" answer to life the universe and everything is to: Keep Going!
0 Replies

grasshopper

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:29 pm
@Satan phil,
-Why?
-Eem, because it is.
-Why?
-Just because it is.
-But why?
-Enough, just believe in God becaue he created it all. So he is the reason-finder.

It is so sad that some people meet religion this way, that's why we all get confused and get away from them.

Something can be caused by several reasons, depending on your point of view- you see it all or none of them.
For example i am aware of something may happen and i'm telling it to people around me and they don't take it for serious. Than it happens and they all wonder 'howcome this happened!?!'. It all depends on your window, does it allow you to see things deeply? But i can not say same things about things i have not experienced, maybe there are exceptions and some don't have any reason to happen. Or maybe things i have seen are exceptions. I need to experience it all in order to decide.Which is impossible for now.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:28 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;75779 wrote:

1. There is certainly a cause for an earthquake, but there is no reason for the earthquake, so we ought to distinguish between causes and reasons. To have a reason for something is to justify that thing not in the normative sense, but in the logical sense, in which a premise justifies a conclusion. The cause of an earthquake does not logically justify the earthquake. That would make no sense.

2. The fact that there is a cause of the earthquake need not imply an infinite regress of causes. That is another issue. But whether it does or does not does not imply that there is no cause of the earthquake. It would be fallacious to argue that since there being a cause of the earthquake implies there is an infinite regress of causes, it follows that there is no cause of the earthquake.

So we can always ask why something happened. There may, or may not be an answer. But there is no reason to stop except fatigue, or lack of curiosity.
vectorcube

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;76193 wrote:
To have a reason for something is to justify that thing not in the normative sense, but in the logical sense, in which a premise justifies a conclusion.

Explain this again.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:50 pm
@Satan phil,
Does the universe have a purpose?

I hope so, but if it does not it is up to us to invent one.
richrf

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:53 pm
@prothero,
prothero;79938 wrote:
Does the universe have a purpose?

I hope so, but if it does not it is up to us to invent one.

I'm working on one, just in case the universe needs it.

Rich
0 Replies