Why I don't believe in 'free will'

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 09:22 am
What I think on the matter of 'free will':

Firstly:
I need a reason to believe in this 'free will' thing - I would think no 'free will would be the default. Because there's already evidence for physics and the mechanics of the universe. But no evidence (as far as I know) that we can influence that other than what we are doing simply because of it whether we like it or not. In which case we don't really influence stuff 'ourselves' because we are part of it. We are bound by the same things as far as I know; either we are determined like the rest of the universe (determinism) or we're not (indeterminism) and we're more random. This applies to the rest of physics - what evidence is there even remotely that it isn't exactly the same for us? I know of no evidence that physics itself has 'free will' - why would we be any different?

The fact people merely believe that God exists or is present in the universe is not even remotely evidence that he exists - why would it be different for free will? And if we need evidence For God's presence/existence first why wouldn't we for free will too?

Secondly:
Determinism='free will' is impossible.

Indeterminism='Free will' is now perhaps, possible - but as far as I know no more probable other than the fact the mere possibility is perhaps open. I still know of no evidence that we actually make decisions other than the fact we (at least those who believe in free will) merely believe we do. Indeterminism just means the universe isn't determined; i.e. physics is more random... How does more random remotely give any evidence of or reason to believe in 'free will'?

Dice are random. But do they have any more choice in how they get thrown simply if they aren't rigged dice? Just because there are more possibilities?

How does possibility remotely imply any real choice of possibility?

Thoughts?

EvF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,060 • Replies: 43
No top replies

vajrasattva

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:36 am
@EvidenceVsFaith,
I agree if God exists free will is not possible. Because of the fact that he is infinite in every sense of the term. Infinite means without end and so to say that our will ends where gods begins is to say that gods will has and end.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:08 am
@EvidenceVsFaith,
EvidenceVsFaith;66365 wrote:
The fact people merely believe that God exists or is present in the universe is not even remotely evidence that he exists - why would it be different for free will? And if we need evidence For God's presence/existence first why wouldn't we for free will too?

I agree with you, but people assume that we have free will because it appears that we do have conscious control over our actions. This of course could be an illusion but I'm just saying. Compare it to the illusion that the sun revolves around the earth.

Secondly:
Determinism='free will' is impossible.

Not necessarily; many philosophers (Dan Dennett for example) make good arguments for compatibility. In fact some argue that in order to have free will, actions need to be determined by the agent. Compatibilists argue that randomness is the absence of free will.

I still know of no evidence that we actually make decisions other than the fact we (at least those who believe in free will) merely believe we do.

I assume that when you say that you know of no evidence that we make decisions you're talking about conscious decisions. It is clear that we make decisions all of the time. The question is whether or not we make choices consciously or sub-consciously. Either way, I don't believe in separating the self from the brain.
Satan phil

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:19 am
@EvidenceVsFaith,
Because there's already evidence for physics and the mechanics of the universe. But no evidence (as far as I know) that we can influence that other than what we are doing simply because of it whether we like it or not.

How do you insist that the experience of having free will is not evidence for free will? Surely, experience of a thing is the greatest evidence we could ever have of it.

We are bound by the same things as far as I know; either we are determined like the rest of the universe (determinism) or we're not (indeterminism) and we're more random.

There is no evidence that the world is determined. Also, random doesn't imply what you seem to think it means. Random is a measure of our ignorance of a system. Even random coin tosses can create regular patterns.
0 Replies

EvidenceVsFaith

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:28 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;66388 wrote:
I agree with you, but people assume that we have free will because it appears that we do have conscious control over our actions. This of course could be an illusion but I'm just saying. Compare it to the illusion that the sun revolves around the earth.

Yes they assume it. It's a baseless assumption as I said. It's circular reasoning - not an argument at all.

We can't tell the difference as to whether the appearance of free will would look any different with or without it. Belief in free will, or belief in free will because of the 'appearance' of it is not evidence of it.

"I believe in free will because it just seems like there is free will" or "I believe in free will because people commonly believe in it and that is all the evidence we need, the fact is, we DO believe it" - etc, arguments such as them are not arguments. They are purely circular and not remotely evidence.

That's like "Belief in God is evidence of God" - a belief itself is not evidence for the truth of a belief.

The point is you can't tell the difference between if it's an illusion or not if you believe in it. But you need a reason to believe in first, you need evidence of it first.

Just like how I will assume that those who believe in God are simply experiencing their own subjective illusion of it, not that he actually exists. An illusion for those who believe I shall assume first - because I need evidence for the truth of something first, the reality of something first.

I need evidence for free will first just as I need evidence for God's existence first. Until I know of any evidence for either of those things I will safely assume that those beliefs are both just an illusion to those who believe in them.

Quote:
Not necessarily; many philosophers (Dan Dennett for example) make good arguments for compatibility.
I am familiar with Dennetts argument and I agree will all that I've heard.

The fact is he's using a completely different definition. The 'free will' he speaks of is just freedom itself...not exactly 'free will' - not as how most define it anyways.

He definites it as 'evitability' or 'avoidability', the opposite being 'inevitability', when something is inevitable - or unavoidable. A 'kind of free will' that he says is equally compatible with determinism. Go figure. He's just trying to keep both sides happy I think. I don't think of it as 'free will' myself because it's totally compatible with determinism...so that's such a different definition it's not really the same thing at all.

Quote:
I assume that when you say that you know of no evidence that we make decisions you're talking about conscious decisions.
Yes. It's the illusion of decisions, the illusion of choice. We have the avoidability, the evitability to do different things. We can be given a 'choice' as in different 'options' or 'decisions to make' - but we don't actually have a choice, a decision or any option in the matter of what choice or option we pick of decision we 'make'.

Quote:
It is clear that we make decisions all of the time.
We have decision processes yes. And we call these 'decisions' - but 'decisons' often carries the connotations that this was deliberate, that we 'chose' it that way. That we decide on our own decisions other words. So it's just a matter of semantics here - I try to be as eloquent as I can but the matter of free will can be confusing because of this very thing. The difference betweenm a choice and a 'free choice. We all have choices, and we all make decisons. But do we have any choice in the matter what they are? Do we have any decision over what decisions we make?: No is my answer. No evidence that we do. Whether we believe we do or not.

We have choices. But no choice in what choice we choose.

I have said it in this philosophically confusing way lol: 'We have options, but no option over which option we opt for.'

Quote:
The question is whether or not we make them consciously or sub-consciously. I don't believe in separating the self from the brain.
I have no reason to believe it isn't enitrely automated like the rest of physics. We have more awareness, we're very complex and we're biological, we are comparatively 'more intelligent' (by our own common definition) than anything else on this planet (many say so anyway lol) - but none of that is evidence that we have free will, that it isn't just automatic physics - whether determined or indetermined, whether fixed or bouncing about more. Whether like a standard pair of dice (indeterminism) or like a pair of rigged dice (determinism).

The fact we are aware is not evidence of free will. It's evidence of neurological complexity, yeah. But the fact we are capable of believing in free will isn't evidence of it of course. Why would it be? It isn't evidence for anything else. Belief is not evidence for the truth of a belief - that's circular reasoning.

I think it is just instilled in us. I think we are 'wired wrong'. There's no evidence for the truth of free will, that I know of anyway.

EvF

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Satan;66391 wrote:
How do you insist that the experience of having free will is not evidence for free will? Surely, experience of a thing is the greatest evidence we could ever have of it.

Because if you don't have free will then your experience is all the same yet you are still using it as evidence for it. That's illogical because it could just as easily be an illusion. This 'experience' is not evidence because you can't tell either way.

I need a reason to believe in it first. This 'experience' doesn't point either way (How could we tell the difference?) - so I still need a reason to believe there is free will by default. I need evidence of free will still, and I know of none.

Quote:
There is no evidence that the world is determined.
I agree. I'm an indeterminist.
Quote:
Also, random doesn't imply what you seem to think it means. Random is a measure of our ignorance of a system. Even random coin tosses can create regular patterns.
Yes. But it's still not evidence of free will. It just isn't determined.

EvF
Satan phil

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:39 am
@EvidenceVsFaith,
EvidenceVsFaith;66392 wrote:
Because if you don't have free will then your experience is all the same yet you are still using it as evidence for it.

Well, if my experiences are the same then why does it matter? You're talking about a "perfect illusion" that we could never see through. I don't understand why a "perfect illusion" is so undesirable. If you give me a $100 bill that's a "perfect illusion" then I can spend it just like a "real" $100 bill in every way and the only difference would be that one $100 was printed by the government and the other was printed in some crook's lab. However, other than this innate historical fact, there's no difference. There would be no rational reason to prefer one over the other. It seems to me that saying we have a "perfect illusion" of free will is the same thing as saying we have free will. If there is no difference then what's the difference?

This 'experience' doesn't point either way (How could we tell the difference?) - so I still need a reason to believe there is free will by default.

We have wills and there is no evidence that they need to be free from anything. That sounds like evidence for free will to me.
EvidenceVsFaith

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:46 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;66398 wrote:
Well, if my experiences are the same then why does it matter? You're talking about a "perfect illusion" that we could never see through. I don't understand why a "perfect illusion" is so undesirable. If you give me a $100 bill that's a "perfect illusion" then I can spend it just like a "real" $100 bill in every way and the only difference would be that one $100 was printed by the government and the other was printed in some crook's lab. However, other than this innate historical fact, there's no difference. It seems to me that saying we have a "perfect illusion" of free will is the same thing as having free will. If there is no difference then what's the difference?

Well, it just depends if you are interested in whether we have control over our own reactions or if we don't - we just commonly believe we do. Doesn't have to matter to you. It's your privilege to not care either way.

I care, I find lots of things interesting. And not just practical things (one reason I'm in a philosophy forum lol). I find the truth itself interesting.

And I know of no reason to believe free will exists. I know of no evidence whatsoever.

Quote:
We have wills and there is no evidence that they need to be free from anything. That sounds like evidence for free will to me.
We have wills as in we have drives and intentions that we call our 'will' yes.

What do you mean no evidence that we need to be free from anything?

All I'm saying is there's no evidence for 'free will' as in there's no evidence that we control our own actions and decisions themselves, whether we believe we can or not. There is no evidence that we can. And the belief makes no difference in itself, and the experience tells us nothing either way because we can't possibly tell that way. As far as I know, therefore, what we call our 'decisions' come about without us having any 'choice' in the matter. It's just physics, and we're part of physics of course.

If the illusion doesn't matter to you, fine. It matters to me because the truth on the matter matters to me. Whether it's an illusion or not, matters. That's why I created this very thread on 'free will'. I'm interested in it.

EvF
Satan phil

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 11:51 am
@EvidenceVsFaith,
EvidenceVsFaith;66402 wrote:
Well, it just depends if you are interested in whether we have control over our own reactions or if we don't - we just commonly believe we do.

You just said there is no difference. How can we have the same experiences yet in one case be in control and in the other case not be? You make control sound like some superfluous pixie dust that is sprinkled over us. The way I think about control is the ability to make changes on a system. If the illusion is perfect, the same changes can be made in either case. You haven't given me a reason why I should be interested in controlling my actions if it makes no difference from a "perfect illusion".

EvidenceVsFaith;66402 wrote:
All I'm saying is there's no evidence for 'free will' as in there's no evidence that we control our own actions and decisions themselves, whether we believe we can or not.

I experience making decisions. There is no evidence that they are controlled by anything other than me. Why isn't that evidence that I control them since you can't provide evidence that they are controlled by something else?
hue-man

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:07 pm
@EvidenceVsFaith,
Yes they assume it. It's a baseless assumption as I said. It's circular reasoning - not an argument at all.

We can't tell the difference as to whether the appearance of free will would look any different with or without it. Belief in free will, or belief in free will because of the 'appearance' of it is not evidence of it.

"I believe in free will because it just seems like there is free will" or "I believe in free will because people commonly believe in it and that is all the evidence we need, the fact is, we DO believe it" - etc, arguments such as them are not arguments. They are purely circular and not remotely evidence.

That's like "Belief in God is evidence of God" - a belief itself is not evidence for the truth of a belief.

The point is you can't tell the difference between if it's an illusion or not if you believe in it. But you need a reason to believe in first, you need evidence of it first.

Just like how I will assume that those who believe in God are simply experiencing their own subjective illusion of it, not that he actually exists. An illusion for those who believe I shall assume first - because I need evidence for the truth of something first, the reality of something first.

I need evidence for free will first just as I need evidence for God's existence first. Until I know of any evidence for either of those things I will safely assume that those beliefs are both just an illusion to those who believe in them.

I am familiar with Dennetts argument and I agree will all that I've heard.

The fact is he's using a completely different definition. The 'free will' he speaks of is just freedom itself...not exactly 'free will' - not as how most define it anyways.

He definites it as 'evitability' or 'avoidability', the opposite being 'inevitability', when something is inevitable - or unavoidable. A 'kind of free will' that he says is equally compatible with determinism. Go figure. He's just trying to keep both sides happy I think. I don't think of it as 'free will' myself because it's totally compatible with determinism...so that's such a different definition it's not really the same thing at all.

Yes. It's the illusion of decisions, the illusion of choice. We have the avoidability, the evitability to do different things. We can be given a 'choice' as in different 'options' or 'decisions to make' - but we don't actually have a choice, a decision or any option in the matter of what choice or option we pick of decision we 'make'.

We have decision processes yes. And we call these 'decisions' - but 'decisons' often carries the connotations that this was deliberate, that we 'chose' it that way. That we decide on our own decisions other words. So it's just a matter of semantics here - I try to be as eloquent as I can but the matter of free will can be confusing because of this very thing. The difference betweenm a choice and a 'free choice. We all have choices, and we all make decisons. But do we have any choice in the matter what they are? Do we have any decision over what decisions we make?: No is my answer. No evidence that we do. Whether we believe we do or not.

We have choices. But no choice in what choice we choose.

I have said it in this philosophically confusing way lol: 'We have options, but no option over which option we opt for.'

I have no reason to believe it isn't enitrely automated like the rest of physics. We have more awareness, we're very complex and we're biological, we are comparatively 'more intelligent' (by our own common definition) than anything else on this planet (many say so anyway lol) - but none of that is evidence that we have free will, that it isn't just automatic physics - whether determined or indetermined, whether fixed or bouncing about more. Whether like a standard pair of dice (indeterminism) or like a pair of rigged dice (determinism).

The fact we are aware is not evidence of free will. It's evidence of neurological complexity, yeah. But the fact we are capable of believing in free will isn't evidence of it of course. Why would it be? It isn't evidence for anything else. Belief is not evidence for the truth of a belief - that's circular reasoning.

I think it is just instilled in us. I think we are 'wired wrong'. There's no evidence for the truth of free will, that I know of anyway.

EvF
Well as an atheist, I agree with you on the whole God thing, but I'm not sure that it's a fair comparison. Either way, I see your point.

There is a lot of disagreement on the accuracy of Libet's tests on free will, but if it is confirmed that we don't make conscious choices then free will is either going to have to be reconceptualized or discarded. Dennett's definition is a reconceptualization, but I don't think it's fair to say that he's doing it to please both sides. He may have reconceptualized it to please himself, but I don't think he cares about whether or not everyone agrees with him. I'm all for the reconceptualization of free will if 1, it's necessary, and 2, it makes logical sense.

I agree with you for the most part, but why do you keep seperating the self from the brain? I am my brain, and I can therefore say that I do make decisions.

EvidenceVsFaith

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:11 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;66403 wrote:
You just said there is no difference. How can we have the same experiences yet in one case be in control and in the other case not be?

Because in one case we control our own actions and in the other we are conscious, complex biological robots that don't have any choice in our own actions - we just believe we do.

And since there's no reason to believe in free self-control in the rest of physics, why would it be any different with us? The fact we commonly believe our own actions doesn't mean we do. That's not evidence.

It may look the same but the point is there's no reason to believe we have control. Whether it's common to do so or not.

Quote:
I experience making decisions. There is no evidence that they are controlled by anything other than me.
There is evidence that you 'make decisions' but not that you choose which decisions you make. So you might call it 'making decisions' but there's no evidence that you have any 'free will' on the matter.

Quote:
Why isn't that evidence that I control them since you can't provide evidence that they are controlled by something else?
There's only evidence that 'you control them' in the sense that you do things and say you control them.
Like a conductor who conducts an orchestra and says "I'm conducting this orchestra" - there's evidence that he's conducting the orchestra. But not any evidence that he has any choice in the matter. It's all physics. So there's no evidence he's really controlling himself (as in controlling himself, with himself, consciously and voluntarily)

So when you think "I'm deciding to do X" - there's evidence that you are 'deciding' as in the thought process in your brain is happening that we call 'making decisions'. But there's not any evidence that you have any choice in the matter of what decision you make, in what you are deciding. It's all physics. So there's no evidence you're really controlling yourself (as in controlling yourself, with yourself, consciously and voluntarily).

There's no evidence of 'self control', as in - no evidence that you are controlling your own decisions. They are part of you. You have decisions but 'you' don't get to control the decisions themselves (consciously and voluntarily). I mean, there's no reason to believe you do - there's no evidence that you do. No evidence of 'free will'.
Belief in free will of course isn't evidence of the truth of it because that's circular reasoning. And 'experience' of it tells you nothing either way, so there's still no reason to believe that it actually exists.

EvF
Satan phil

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:20 pm
@EvidenceVsFaith,
EvidenceVsFaith;66408 wrote:
Because in one case we control our own actions and in the other we are conscious, complex biological robots that don't have any choice in our own actions - we just believe we do.

I am reminded of this short story. I hope you won't mind reading it since it's very relevant to our discussion.

Raymond M. Smullyan wrote:
Once upon a time there was a dualist. He believed that mind and matter are separate substances. Just how they interacted he did not pretend to know-this was one of the "mysteries" of life. But he was sure they were quite separate substances.

This dualist, unfortunately, led an unbearably painful life-not because of his philosophical beliefs, but for quite different reasons. And he had excellent empirical evidence that no respite was in sight for the rest of his life. He longed for nothing more than to die. But he was deterred from suicide by such reasons as: (1) he did not want to hurt other people by his death; (2) he was afraid suicide might be morally wrong; (3) he was afraid there might be an afterlife, and he did not want to risk the possibility of eternal punishment. So our poor dualist was quite desperate.

Then came the discovery of the miracle drug! Its effect on the taker was to annihilate the soul or mind entirely but to leave the body functioning exactly as before. Absolutely no observable change came over the taker; the body continued to act just as if it still had a soul. Not the closest friend or observer could possibly know that the taker had taken the drug, unless the taker informed him. Our dualist was, of course, delighted! Now he could annihilate himself (his soul, that is) in a way not subject to any of the foregoing objections. And so, for the first time in years, he went to bed with a light heart, saying: "Tomorrow morning I will go down to the drugstore and get the drug. My days of suffering are over at last!" With these thoughts, he fell peacefully asleep.

Now at this point a curious thing happened. A friend of the dualist who knew about this drug, and who knew of the sufferings of the dualist, decided to put him out of his misery. So in the middle of the night, while the dualist was fast asleep, the friend quietly stole into the house and injected the drug into his veins. The next morning the body of the dualist awoke-without any soul indeed-and the first thing it did was to go to the drugstore to get the drug. He took it home and, before taking it, said, "Now I shall be released." So he took it and then waited the time interval in which it was supposed to work. At the end of the interval he angrily exclaimed: "Damn it, this stuff hasn't helped at all! I still obviously have a soul and am suffering as much as ever!"

Doesn't all this suggest that perhaps there might be something just a little wrong with dualism?

It seems to me that, as in this story, there could be some magic potion that would destroy our free wills while leaving everything else intact. If that is the case then why should I care? Just like the man having his soul destroyed changed nothing, how then will having my free will destroyed change me? If not at all, then why do I care? Either you are mistaken in thinking that free will is important or you are mistaken in thinking that it changes absoutely nothing about our experiences.

EvidenceVsFaith;66408 wrote:
It's all physics.

The laws of nature, physics, are just descriptions. Descriptions don't control anything. They merely describe.
0 Replies

EvidenceVsFaith

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:31 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;66407 wrote:
Well as an atheist, I agree with you on the whole . Dennett's definition is a reconceptualization, but I don't think it's fair to say that he's doing it to please both sides. He may have reconceptualized it to please himself, but I don't think he cares about whether or not everyone agrees with him.

Well that was just my opinion for why. I think I said "I think"? Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I just wonder that because of like the 'Brights' thing...where he's trying to get atheists to call themselves something else because it will be more pleasant, for both sides, etc.

[quote]I'm all for the reconceptualization of free will if 1, it's necessary, and 2, it makes logical sense. [/quote]Well that's fine if it can be pulled off. But it's so different a definition that it may cause confusion. I mean, how 'free-will' is normally defined means, if we have it, we can exercise control over our own actions and decisions. With his definition, this isn't part of the definiton. It is simply the fact of 'evitability' or avoidability 'if someone throws a brick at you, you can duck' - that's 'free will' to him, and it can apply to determinism too. The future can be determined and we're just going down the road whether we like it or not...but because avoidance is possible, by his definition we still have 'free-will'...well that's fine - it's just not what many think of as 'free will'.

He's just a compatabilist is all. But what I wonder is, can one support compatabilism for free will and determinist if one is an indetermininst? I also wonder Dennett is a determinist or an indeterminist.

I'm an indeterminist but I don't believe in traditional 'free will' (as in the ability to exercise control over ones own actions and decisions), I don't believe in behavioral 'free will.' Because quantum indetermininsy doesn't imply 'free will', being more random doesn't imply free will. It doesn't give evidence to free will at all. I still know of no free will.

Dennett's version I can accept. Because Dennett's version is obvious to any rational person with enough awareness, whether they're a determinist or indeterminist. Once they understand what he means: Because...the fact he definites it simply as 'evitability' ...'free will' to mean simply 'if someone throws a brick at you you can duck', simply the ability to avoid things - that's obvious to anyone! So if that's the kind of free will it's not really a question anymore is it? Unless you're looking to another kind of 'free will'

I of course accept Dennett's definitoon of free will. Agents in the universe have the ability to avoid things. That's true, whether you're a determinist or indeterminist that's obvious, and whether you believe in the traditonal 'free will' or not - you can accept his.

As he says himself, to paraphrase slightly: "evitability is one of the most..obvious facts, in the physical world".

His definition of 'free will' is very believable and I totally accept it. It's obvious when defined that way and a completely different kind of 'free will' to the one I'm talking about here.

Dennett's arguments on the matter are very good indeed I think though.

[quote]I agree with you for the most part, but why do you keep seperating the self from the brain? I am my brain, and I can therefore say that I do make decisions.[/quote]

You're brain is making decisions. The question is whether it's entirely automated by physics or if you are 'doing it yourself'. If it IS you...then how is it choosing itself its own decisions? It just is thinking right? It's just phyiscs right?

I mean...if someone commits a crime for example - were they 1. just on autopilot, because their brain was just 'thinking that way' and their body just went along with it...in which case they couldn't have done anything different - they couldn't help it.....or 2. Can they somehow use their brain to deliberately influence itself what it is thinking and 'deciding'... to influence what they are doing deliberately...so they could have done different?

Can they choose what they do with their brain and the rest of their body?
Or are the brain and the rest of the body both just on autopilot and their consciousness merely thinks they (it) have (has) a choice in the matter, and what they (it) are (is) thinking? When they (it) don't (doesn't)? So they (it) can't help what they do (or it causes them to do) - it's just physics?

EvF

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Satan;66411 wrote:

It seems to me that, as in this story, there could be some magic potion that would destroy our free wills while leaving everything else intact. If that is the case then why should I care? Just like the man having his soul destroyed changed nothing, how then will having my free will destroyed change me? If not at all, then why do I care? Either you are mistaken in thinking that free will is important or you are mistaken in thinking that it changes absoutely nothing about our experiences.

I'm just interested in truth itself. I find the question interested.

And also - if someone does something wrong when you believe they had no choice in the matter you are going to behave differently to if you believe they did have a choice, right?

And if you don't believe in 'free will' it completely kills the idea of 'revenge' (if you think it through anyway).

And also, how can you really blame someone? You can only do it for practical reasons right? I mean if blaming someone and holding them responsible is good in the long run, fine.

And if there's no 'free will' it also makes punishment at least in and of itself, immoral. Neutralization is better when there's no 'free will'.

In and of itself at least if someone has no choice in the matter, why would you want to punish them if they can't help it? It would be wrong to do so yeah? I mean to act as if they can help something if they can't?

Quote:
The laws of nature, physics, are just descriptions. Descriptions don't control anything. They merely describe.
I'm aware of that. I was trying to just convey the message that there's no evidence that we have any more free will than the rest of the physical universe. So as far as I know we are just entirely automated like the rest of it - whether our brain "believes" we are or not.

How would you rather I put it?

EvF
hue-man

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:53 pm
@EvidenceVsFaith,
EvidenceVsFaith;66412 wrote:
Well that was just my opinion for why. I think I said "I think"? Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I just wonder that because of like the 'Brights' thing...where he's trying to get atheists to call themselves something else because it will be more pleasant, for both sides, etc.
I don't think he's trying to get atheists to call themselves something else. Brights is just the name of the movement. He uses the word atheist to refer to himself all of the time.

I'm an indeterminist but I don't believe in traditional 'free will' (as in the ability to exercise control over ones own actions and decisions), I don't believe in behavioral 'free will.' Because quantum indetermininsy doesn't imply 'free will', being more random doesn't imply free will. It doesn't give evidence to free will at all. I still know of no free will.
Are you an indeterminist because of quantum mechanics? Indeterminacy in quantum mechanics can be explained by the uncertainty principle. I don't believe that there's anything indeterministic about the epistemic limitations of quantum mechanics.

I mean...if someone commits a crime for example - were they 1. just on autopilot, because their brain was just 'thinking that way' and their body just went along with it...in which case they couldn't have done anything different - they couldn't help it.....or 2. Can they somehow use their brain to deliberately influence itself what it is thinking and 'deciding'... to influence what they are doing deliberately...so they could have done different?

Remember that nothing is inevitable. The person could have done something different, and he knew that there would be consequences if he was caught. The only impact that determinism should have on law is that criminals should be treated more like patients than wild animals that have no 'soul'. Everything has a cause and a reason whether it be justified or not. The reconceptualization of free will is still free will, albeit a weak conception of free will.
Satan phil

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:13 pm
@EvidenceVsFaith,
In and of itself at least if someone has no choice in the matter, why would you want to punish them if they can't help it? It would be wrong to do so yeah? I mean to act as if they can help something if they can't?

If I can't blame people for committing crimes then how can you blame me for punishing people? If it's wrong to blame then blaming others for blame is just as wrong.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:21 pm
@hue-man,
This deterministic universe,i get more confused the more it is mentioned.Did the BB determine everything? Is there no allowance for even one random event? It sounds like everything is written and we are mere players,acting out the script that lies before us.
It could be written but who writes these events,do they project the script into our brain and we like automatons, jerking like puppets to the string of a determined author..Id like for those who oppose free will by a determined universe to explain this confusion..
If its not determined, our free will ?what is it thats so determined to hinder our free will? I am subject to input from others ,i am a product of life but to ignore the "i" is to ignore the substance of philosophy and say this is it , no more should we debate the human condition.
Kielicious

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:13 pm
@xris,
I feel like I'm being redundant but determinism does not mean, or imply, fatalism or inevitability.
henry quirk

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:11 pm
@Kielicious,
EVF,

let me reiterate, and expand on, what i posted here: http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/blogs/satan/304-free-will-conversation.html

leaving aside the phrase, the placeholder, 'free will': i have to ask, how can you say 'I do not know of any evidence that we control our own actions'?

if you didn't 'choose' (based on your own reasonings) to post your comment above, then who or what did?

if you 'chose' to comment, then acted on that choice, how did you not exercise self-control, self-determination, self-efficacy, agency?

now: 'free will' is a notion i find dumb on every level: it stinks of the theological

but: 'agency' (nothing more or less than the capacity to choose and attempt to act on choice) is nothing like 'free will' but seems to preserve all the qualities attributed to 'free will'

you ask -- obliquely -- for the evidence 'that we control our own actions'

i can only point to myself, my own agendas and goals (which often have nothing to with satisfying impulse or appetites) and say: insofar as the broad parameters of my own flesh allow, insofar as the way reality works allows, i self-determine, i choose, i decide

this is not an exercise in 'free will', but rather an exercise of my 'self' as agent (synonymous with 'agency')

you say or imply the self-efficacy i promote is an illusion: where, then, is your evidence?

my evidence is -- i admit -- subjective, probably anecdotal, and yet i assert it

the burden, it seems to me, is on you to either disprove my (and presumably, your own) sense of agency, or, to provide an evidence for the illusory status of the sense 'we control our own actions'

let me offer an example to illustrate...

i have coffee in a small shop...i note a woman seated at another table: she's attractive in the way i like...a cascade of psychological/physiological events occur within me and i become 'erect'

it's very true: i have little to no control over the ********, but -- certainly, EVF -- you must agree i have complete control over what i do with, or about, the ********

off the top of my head, i can:

1- walk over to the woman, chat her up, attempt to score some time with her

2-follow her from the cafe', wait for my moment, assault her, haul her into an alleyway, and have my way with her

3-do nothing...sip my coffee, read my paper, occasionally take a gander at the beauty, and enjoy the sensation of being alive

4-do something else entirely

surely: any choice i make (from the above list, or others we all could devise) is predicated on 'me' (my experiences, my sense of 'self', my capabilities, the functions/failings/limits of my flesh) but unlike a dog (bio-automation, consciousness as conduit for tripping off impulse and appetite) whatever i choose is the result of 'me'

now: what am 'I'?

an animal, of course, but a sapient animal...sapience, of course, is not about being wise, but about being capable of wisdom, and wisdom is nothing more than the ungainly hybrid of fact (what can be observed, measured) and belief (real or fiction)

i argue that sapience (not a quality to be teased out, but a function of the human individual) is the keystone of agency...call it 'I'ness or 'ego' (in stirner's, not freud's, sense)

hell: call it 'free will' if you like

whatever you call it: the 'evidence' -- no matter how subjective or anecdotal -- is overwhelming that 'i' choose, you choose, we all each of us 'choose'

so, i submit: if the science tends to dispel 'agency' as i see it (agent causation), then the science is wrong

the first great error of science is the tendency toward a greedy reductionism

reductionism is a fine way to conduct science but not so great a way to understand the individual, idiosyncratic, human

that is: science can explain how light enters the eye, but -- to date -- has failed to explain the focused gaze extending out from the eye

that is: science explains the parts and pieces and the process, but has yet to explain the 'me', the 'you', that occurs when those pieces, parts, and processes are 'together'

it is the 'me', the 'you', as agent (agency), that acts as 'cause' and not just link in a causal chain
hue-man

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:59 pm
@henry quirk,
henry quirk;66599 wrote:
EVF,

let me reiterate, and expand on, what i posted here: http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/blogs/satan/304-free-will-conversation.html

leaving aside the phrase, the placeholder, 'free will': i have to ask, how can you say 'I do not know of any evidence that we control our own actions'?

if you didn't 'choose' (based on your own reasonings) to post your comment above, then who or what did?

if you 'chose' to comment, then acted on that choice, how did you not exercise self-control, self-determination, self-efficacy, agency?

now: 'free will' is a notion i find dumb on every level: it stinks of the theological

but: 'agency' (nothing more or less than the capacity to choose and attempt to act on choice) is nothing like 'free will' but seems to preserve all the qualities attributed to 'free will'

you ask -- obliquely -- for the evidence 'that we control our own actions'

i can only point to myself, my own agendas and goals (which often have nothing to with satisfying impulse or appetites) and say: insofar as the broad parameters of my own flesh allow, insofar as the way reality works allows, i self-determine, i choose, i decide

this is not an exercise in 'free will', but rather an exercise of my 'self' as agent (synonymous with 'agency')

you say or imply the self-efficacy i promote is an illusion: where, then, is your evidence?

my evidence is -- i admit -- subjective, probably anecdotal, and yet i assert it

the burden, it seems to me, is on you to either disprove my (and presumably, your own) sense of agency, or, to provide an evidence for the illusory status of the sense 'we control our own actions'

let me offer an example to illustrate...

i have coffee in a small shop...i note a woman seated at another table: she's attractive in the way i like...a cascade of psychological/physiological events occur within me and i become 'erect'

it's very true: i have little to no control over the ********, but -- certainly, EVF -- you must agree i have complete control over what i do with, or about, the ********

off the top of my head, i can:

1- walk over to the woman, chat her up, attempt to score some time with her

2-follow her from the cafe', wait for my moment, assault her, haul her into an alleyway, and have my way with her

3-do nothing...sip my coffee, read my paper, occasionally take a gander at the beauty, and enjoy the sensation of being alive

4-do something else entirely

surely: any choice i make (from the above list, or others we all could devise) is predicated on 'me' (my experiences, my sense of 'self', my capabilities, the functions/failings/limits of my flesh) but unlike a dog (bio-automation, consciousness as conduit for tripping off impulse and appetite) whatever i choose is the result of 'me'

now: what am 'I'?

an animal, of course, but a sapient animal...sapience, of course, is not about being wise, but about being capable of wisdom, and wisdom is nothing more than the ungainly hybrid of fact (what can be observed, measured) and belief (real or fiction)

i argue that sapience (not a quality to be teased out, but a function of the human individual) is the keystone of agency...call it 'I'ness or 'ego' (in stirner's, not freud's, sense)

hell: call it 'free will' if you like

whatever you call it: the 'evidence' -- no matter how subjective or anecdotal -- is overwhelming that 'i' choose, you choose, we all each of us 'choose'

so, i submit: if the science tends to dispel 'agency' as i see it (agent causation), then the science is wrong

the first great error of science is the tendency toward a greedy reductionism

reductionism is a fine way to conduct science but not so great a way to understand the individual, idiosyncratic, human

that is: science can explain how light enters the eye, but -- to date -- has failed to explain the focused gaze extending out from the eye

that is: science explains the parts and pieces and the process, but has yet to explain the 'me', the 'you', that occurs when those pieces, parts, and processes are 'together'

it is the 'me', the 'you', as agent (agency), that acts as 'cause' and not just link in a causal chain

So you do care about something.
henry quirk

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 10:13 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote: "So you do care about something."

of course i do...you'd know that if you'd read my other posts in the other threads

i care about a great number of things and people

my affection for, and interest in, certain things and people doesn't invalidate my positions in those other threads...in fact: my affection for, and interest in, certain things and people reinforces my positions because it's 'my' affection, 'my' interest, predicated on 'my' reasonings
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 10:36 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;66594 wrote:
I feel like I'm being redundant but determinism does not mean, or imply, fatalism or inevitability.
If you claim that by reason nothing is random and everything is predetermined you cant believe in free will.I think everything might be written but we write it.If you watch a film the script is written by the author and the actors act out their script.If you watch a video of life there is a script but its the actors.Ignore the "I" and the script is meaningless. Philosophers, do they want to be prophets or observers thats the choice in deciding on free will.
0 Replies