Inevitability of change and loss

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:35 pm
Ok so i just read The Catcher in the Rye and was looking up some themes and ideas from the books when i ran accross a theme of the inevitability of change and loss thats haunts the main character. I thought this idea was interesting.

There are many sayings to cover this but what it seems like to me is us humans desire things far more when we can't have them anymore then we we had them. You don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore. When we lose something or somethings changes and we can't go back to the way things were and there is nothing we can do about that, we always want things to go back to the way they were. When we have something in our head, it is hard to get rid of the idea especially when we want something and we cannot get it back. In essence, the various items, people, times, ect. that might change or have been lost might not actually be all to negative maybe even positive but when we know that there isn't a possiblity of turning time back and having what we had, we get into a state in which we think that what we had before was somehow better than what we have now. This is because it seems like to me that we desire things that we can have or did have far more than what we do have despite the circumstances. Everything seems more tempting when we can't have it. What hurts us the most is that the chnage or loss is inevitable. I jus think this is a flaw in our make-up and can really cause some issues. What bothers me about this is that these changes might even be for the better when you break things down yet we still long to have what we had.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 931 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Elmud

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 07:10 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Guess it makes you want to appreciate what you had in the past, what you have now, and what you will have in the future.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 12:22 am
@Yogi DMT,
Change and loss doesn't always have to have a negative connotation.

Just like pain can't last for ever, it must give way to no pain eventually.

Nothing can be miserable forever despite what depression might tell you.

Sometimes a blessing is a curse.

Sometimes a curse is a blessing.

When you lose, and you do not learn from a losing experience then you have truly lost something very valuable. The loss is twice in this case.

If you lose, but you learn from the loss then you have truly won something valuable. The loss is null.

It is by change that everything happens. If there was no change then nothing would ever happen.

Heaven will become a hell because heaven can never change. Do you have free will in heaven?

If you are not aware of change it can never become a hell because you would first have to be aware. Lack of awareness would then be the ultimate heaven.
richrf

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 03:43 pm
@Krumple,
Hi there,

Of course, fear of loss of one's own life - and others, trumps all. From there every other fear springs.

But it is this fear that motivates us to seek, explore, move on, and change. So one begats the other, and it is a necessary part of living a life. Otherwise, living and life would be really absurd - as if it was not already absurd enough. Smile

So consider fear of loss, a motivator and a great and natural aspect of living.

Rich
William

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 03:59 pm
@richrf,
richrf;68856 wrote:
Hi there,
So consider fear of loss, a motivator and a great and natural aspect of living.
Rich

In all due respect Rich, that's the reality we are surviving in now. See list.
Fear of loss, makes one greedy and possessive. IMO.

William

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Your more than welcome.
richrf

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 04:04 pm
@William,
William;68864 wrote:
In all due respect Rich, that's the reality we are surviving in now. See list.
Fear of loss, makes one greedy and possessive. IMO.

William

Yes. Greed and possessiveness are feelings that people may experience in their lives land there is much to be learned from this experience. Certainly it has been one of my experiences, and I have learned much about it.

Jung, the Tarot, the I Ching, talk about many of the things we may experience in life, and what we might learn from it.

[CENTER]This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival ...

Be grateful for whoever [whatever] comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

Rumi
[/CENTER]

Rich
GoshisDead

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 12:12 am
@richrf,
Someone Quotes Rumi, so I'll paraphrase another great Philosopher, Stephen King, (lol). Anyway there is a character in his book the Langoliers that he described as always being under so much pressure that if he was ever not under pressure he would explode just like a deep sea fish being brough to the surface. What I'm getting at is that life becomes like this we are under so much pressure, good and bad, or rather such a mass of experience that we frantically try to categorize that one day we get comfortable with it, so all change even for the better is treated as something that might make us explode.
0 Replies

sarathustrah

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 12:15 am
@Yogi DMT,
what story is without conflict?

how interesting could life be without loss and want

where would we get appreciation and motivation?
richrf

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 08:25 am
@sarathustrah,
sarathustrah;69017 wrote:
what story is without conflict?

how interesting could life be without loss and want

where would we get appreciation and motivation?

Yes, every great story, every great play has it all - as does the Play of Life. It is interesting. It is amusing. It is sad. Great stuff - all of it.

Rich
0 Replies