Age of reasoning

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:37 pm
Ok so i've been listening to a song that is sending a message of eleven being the age when you come to full-awarness, conscientiousness, and when a person fully develops their common sense. Now of course 11 is an exact ages and everybody is different. I haven't looked into this too much but found it interesting. Now this is not to say everyone below the age of eleven is dumb and not a real person by any means but that eleven is the age when you acquire the ability to make decisions a and properly understand different things. I was just thinking about this while listening to the song and wanted to hear what everyone's take on this was.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rhinogrey

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:18 pm
@Yogi DMT,
"Jimmy" ... good song.

Quote:
eleven is the age when you acquire the ability to make decisions a and properly understand different things.
At age 11 you interpret things in a very superficial manner. With every year of life, you come to see more depth in issues that once seemed one-sided or simplistic. Age 11 is very low on this development, I would say.

Besides, you cannot quantify this sort of thing by age. It makes no sense. Look back a couple hundred years in history and beyond, and the life expectancy is wildly lower than it is these days. In that context, age 11 holds different socio-political connotations than we are used to. I believe this goes to show that a good deal of the age-related categorization is societal and relative to relevant conditions and contexts.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 04:13 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Well i was referring to eleven at around or near that age not exactly eleven. Each person is different. 11 metnally may be the age at which the human mind comes to full reasoning.
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 05:50 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I wouldn't count on it.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:12 pm
@Yogi DMT,
First of all, please don't believe every song line you hear, nor movie plot you see, nor passage you read--without firstly checking it out some. (which is of course what you are doing here . . . a very commendable thing, indeed !!)

As far as can be understood at the moment, and with the last papers I have read on the subject, the likelihood is still very high that the last brain area to recieve full myelination is the prefrontal cortex--which is the major behavioral guide/inhibitor/association/cognitive structure. This occurs generally in the late teens to early twenties.

What this means, however, is simply that after mid-adolescent pruning (automatic cell death occurring to 'streamline' what is/isn't needed) the speeds and accuracy of axonal signaling is increased. It is understood that judgment is improved after full myelination has occurred (in most cases, to varying degrees), and this does seem to be the case in observation. Otherwise, any pursuits which one may have due to the words of that song, will surely come to nothing.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:56 pm
@Yogi DMT,
That's interesting. All i did was talk to a friend about this so i really can't support this arguement much i was more looking for some discussion about if this is true? if the age is true? ect. You may be right, but i have learned from experience to beleive in the various ideas portrayed in Tool as opposed to other bands. I'll look into it.

Edit: Ok so i was just thinking that instead of the age of reasoning, could eleven possibly be the age of which you lose your childhood innocence? I am reading Catcher in the Rye again after i had to read it in school and was just thinking could this possibly be a reference? Because the idea of reasoning and lose of innocence could be interconnected. For example, the age of which you come to a more adult-like conciousness and reasoning, could this possibly also be the transition into the "phony adult world" as holden would say. I just think that the two ideas would nicely and i've noticed other literature references in some of their song and can imagine the message being that eleven is the transition age, for the innocent and pure world you live in to the phony, corrupt adult world. Could reasoning possibly be evil then? At least by J. D. Salinger's standards. This song could possibly be about the painfulness of growing up and the more i analyze the the song the more i can connect some of the theme's in the book and the supposed age of reasoning.

Now i'm just throwing this out there i could be totally wrong. :a-ok:

Edit: Possibly? M-theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tool is known for having extremely deep, meaningful, and purposeful lyrics. I'm going to take anything they have to say at face value. Many of their songs have more than one meaning. I was looking this up and found out eleven might also be referring to the eleven dimensions in the M-theroy (String theory). I wouldn't be surpised.
Paggos

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:15 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I personally am fourteen. At 11 not many kids have reasoning that is appropriate but it is accepted by a majority of that age group. What is exactly reasoning in your opinion? Would it be getting sleekly out a a situation? Or knowing right from wrong? In a adults perspective i would think around 13-18 is the age depending on where you come from. I personally reached it young because i came to rationalization i'm not like the other kids, i acquire wisdom, and clarity.
0 Replies