God can be defined, and even worshipped and adored

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:48 pm
First some preliminary definitions are helpful. For x to be valuable is for x to be meaningful, is for x to have some attributes that the valuer is looking for, or expecting - else he or she would not call it 'valuable.'

To be better is to be richer in meaning, to be more valuable: for when we say x is better than y we mean x is more valuable than y.

God =df.= that than which there is nothing better.

And why is that?
There couldn't be anything better because God, I shall argue, includes all the high, positive, values rolled-into-one. If we could conceive of anything better we would immediately make that into God.

For man is a co-creator, of and with God. Man creates God; and God, being the creativity principle itself, of course creates man. How does man create God? Every time we encourage goodness we are creating God; every time we uphold any one of the high values, such as pure love, we are creating God.

God is energy from within, and enthusiasm.

God is Information - and we have some of that in our DNA with its code for our genes. Information - gives structure to energy, makes it orderly, and makes it more valuable to us.

God is Goodness, and justice, and mercy.

God is Love - which is another high value all over the world.

God is all the values (and more) listed in people's essays on the meaning of Life, values such as fellowship, community, integrity, morality, liberty, etc.

I define "God" as "internal energy - combined with all the Intrinsic Values exponentiated." Do you not also believe in energy? Do you not also subscribe to the high values such as Goodness, Truth, and Beauty; and Humanity and Nature? That is my God. That is how I define it.

We can relate to this God personally just as a poet, using the rhetorical device of personification, relates to his desk or to a flower, or sailors relate to their ship. They personify it. Some car owners do this as well with their auto. There is nothing wrong with these people; they are fully sane. We talk to ourselves; why not talk to God. It, he, or she is what some regard as the Self of selves, the Friend of friends.

(How could we live without energy? To us, energy is quite valuable.)

Let us be careful not to confuse the God which I have been describing with traditional conceptions of God.

This God of which I speak is omnibenevolent (all Good), but neither omnipotent nor omniscient: It knows nothing of evil or badness. It is powerful enough. After all, energy can take many forms. It is quite versatile, and in the form of electomagnetism, it can render quite a jolt. But it is not all-powerful.

Whenever something good occurs, we can give thanks to God for it, whenever something is created we can give God the credit - for God is the Creativity Principle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,657 • Replies: 55
No top replies

xris

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:07 pm
@deepthot,
So whats new with this god? We had a debate about god allowing evil and still being classified as good and all powerful. Did you follow that debate? Did you see my argument that its is a contradiction in terms? Allowing evil + all powerful = ain't good.
deepthot

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:41 pm
@xris,
xris;130801 wrote:
So whats new with this god? We had a debate about god allowing evil and still being classified as good and all powerful. Did you follow that debate? Did you see my argument that its is a contradiction in terms? Allowing evil + all powerful = ain't good.

xris,

Did you read the second-to-last paragraph in my post? It said that my God is NOT omniscient. Evidentally this was a big word. It would be a courtesy if you would look it up before you react, jumping to conclusions!

I agree with the argument you put forth in that debate. My God, however, is not only not all-powerful but does not allow evil. My God shows us how to overcome evil if we ask in the right way, i.e., if we ask how to find the Way, the way to Goodness. So I often pray, Show me the way. And God solves every problem. How can God allow badness when this Force doesn't even know of it? This God of which I speak knows only good. For it is the Good. It is Goodness itself.

And this makes sense in our ordinary experience. How many times have you heard someone utter - inter-changeably, "O my God !!!" or "Oh my Goodness !!!!" Ordinary language indicates, thus, that God is Goodness, and goodness is God. ..... ----{Wittgenstein would be proud........}
xris

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:01 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;130809 wrote:
xris,

Did you read the second-to-last paragraph in my post? It said that my God is NOT omniscient. Evidentally this was a big word. It would be a courtesy if you would look it up before you react, jumping to conclusions!

I agree with the argument you put forth in that debate. My God, however, is not only not all-powerful but does not allow evil. My God shows us how to overcome evil if we ask in the right way, i.e., if we ask how to find the Way, the way to Goodness. So I often pray, Show me the way. And God solves every problem. How can God allow badness when this Force doesn't even know of it? This God of which I speak knows only good. For it is the Good. It is Goodness itself.

And this makes sense in our ordinary experience. How many times have you heard someone utter - inter-changeably, "O my God !!!" or "Oh my Goodness !!!!" Ordinary language indicates, thus, that God is Goodness, and goodness is God. ..... ----{Wittgenstein would be proud........}
I did not say omniscient, i said all powerful. If you limit his power, by how much?
Insty

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:29 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot;130809 wrote:

You may not have meant this seriously, but for the record, Wittgenstein wouldn't have agreed with what you've said. In fact, he would have rejected the whole enterprise of trying to define God in the manner you've suggested. This of course doesn't mean your view is wrong. But it does mean that it's a bad idea to try to enlist Wittgenstein in support of your view.
0 Replies

deepthot

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:02 pm
@xris,
xris;130813 wrote:
I did not say omniscient, i said all powerful. If you limit his power, by how much?

Pardon my slip of the pen when I typed the word omniscient when I meant to type omnipotent. Here, actually, is the quote from the o.p.

This God of which I speak is omnibenevolent (all Good), but neither omnipotent nor omniscient: It knows nothing of evil or badness. It is powerful enough. After all, energy can take many forms. It is quite versatile, and in the form of electomagnetism, it can render quite a jolt. But it is not all-powerful.

I had put it in bold font, for emphasis ...so it would be hard to miss.

I can't give an exact measure for the limitation of God's power. I would say, and have said before, that good, when organized and mobilized, can be quite powerful. When, for example, Bayard Rustin organized the March on Washington in 1967, the following year The Civil Rights Act was passed, and in the very next year The Voting Rights Act was passed. Both are still in effect, and both are doing a lot of good. This shows what good intentions can do when mobilized correctly. Even someone who at the time was highly critical of the project, Malcom X, later came around ...and he acknowledged that nonviolent direct action was the best way to go. It still is.

So organize rather than criticize. - (with thanks to Joe Hill.)

---------- Post added 02-21-2010 at 05:09 PM ----------

Insty;130818 wrote:
You may not have meant this seriously, but for the record, Wittgenstein wouldn't have agreed with what you've said. In fact, he would have rejected the whole enterprise of trying to define God in the manner you've suggested. This of course doesn't mean your view is wrong. But it does mean that it's a bad idea to try to enlist Wittgenstein in support of your view.

When I brought up his name, I did not mean it seriously. As you guessed.

I invoked him as a booster of ordinary language; at the time I mentioned him the context was on the two emotive outbursts, those which we utter when we are deeply involved, or fascinated by some information we just acquired.
xris

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 03:58 am
@deepthot,
Is he conscious of his creation? Is he capable of communication? I understand your need but the realty is very different.Thanks Xris
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 05:22 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;130798 wrote:
First some preliminary definitions are helpful. For x to be valuable is for x to be meaningful, is for x to have some attributes that the valuer is looking for, or expecting - else he or she would not call it 'valuable.'

To be better is to be richer in meaning, to be more valuable: for when we say x is better than y we mean x is more valuable than y.

And why is that?
There couldn't be anything better because God, I shall argue, includes all the high, positive, values rolled-into-one. If we could conceive of anything better we would immediately make that into God.

For man is a co-creator, of and with God. Man creates God; and God, being the creativity principle itself, of course creates man. How does man create God? Every time we encourage goodness we are creating God; every time we uphold any one of the high values, such as pure love, we are creating God.

God is energy from within, and enthusiasm.

God is Information - and we have some of that in our DNA with its code for our genes. Information - gives structure to energy, makes it orderly, and makes it more valuable to us.

God is all the values (and more) listed in people's essays on the meaning of Life, values such as fellowship, community, integrity, morality, liberty, etc.

I define "God" as "internal energy - combined with all the Intrinsic Values exponentiated." Do you not also believe in energy? Do you not also subscribe to the high values such as Goodness, Truth, and Beauty; and Humanity and Nature? That is my God. That is how I define it.

We can relate to this God personally just as a poet, using the rhetorical device of personification, relates to his desk or to a flower, or sailors relate to their ship. They personify it. Some car owners do this as well with their auto. There is nothing wrong with these people; they are fully sane. We talk to ourselves; why not talk to God. It, he, or she is what some regard as the Self of selves, the Friend of friends.

(How could we live without energy? To us, energy is quite valuable.)

Let us be careful not to confuse the God which I have been describing with traditional conceptions of God.

Whenever something good occurs, we can give thanks to God for it, whenever something is created we can give God the credit - for God is the Creativity Principle.

I see this as nothing more than clever keeping only the good while cutting off the fat. A type of definition butcher but that has a negative connotation to it that doesn't quite give the proper impression of what you are doing.

I disagree with all of these assessments:

"God is energy from within, and enthusiasm.
"

You can say I am just being stubborn or picky with your definitions, but I've looked at these and digested them. I don't see how they actually work and not contradict each other. Also some of the values do not fit with my own personal outlook, like for example, love. I don't place any higher value on love than I do with anger, hatred or jealousy. I see love on the same par as all of the emotions. So when you say god is love, what I hear is god is fickle. That to me doesn't stand with, god is information, or god is energy. So I have to conclude, that these are just your personal interpretations of what you find valuable and you have just attributed them to what you want your god to be. In other words, god is completely subjective. Made up concept. Existing only in our imaginations.

Another example of your contradiction is saying god is love, then stating god is justice and mercy. Well you can't have both of these, especially not justice and mercy together. But love and justice together don't work. You can say they do, in words, but as soon as you try to give examples it quickly points out how love and justice operate on two completely different levels.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
@deepthot,
deepthot;130798 wrote:

And why is that?

You seem to be assuming that humanity strives for all the high, positive, values... people use the idea of god for a ton of different reasons.

Besides that I would argue that there can always be something better than God because the moment you say God is all-good and not all-powerful or all-knowing you limit God. Why not have the idea of a perfect God even if it conflicts with the pain and suffering we experience? After all, you said God was the creativity principle.

My real point would be to argue that all you are doing is creating confusion. I see no point in replacing words with "god" because most people will just think you mean something other than what you're trying to say. Why not simply say creativity, benevolence, etc... are what we should strive for? Why place a label where one isn't needed?
xris

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:13 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130994 wrote:
You seem to be assuming that humanity strives for all the high, positive, values... people use the idea of god for a ton of different reasons.

Besides that I would argue that there can always be something better than God because the moment you say God is all-good and not all-powerful or all-knowing you limit God. Why not have the idea of a perfect God even if it conflicts with the pain and suffering we experience? After all, you said God was the creativity principle.

My real point would be to argue that all you are doing is creating confusion. I see no point in replacing words with "god" because most people will just think you mean something other than what you're trying to say. Why not simply say creativity, benevolence, etc... are what we should strive for? Why place a label where one isn't needed?
Even a concept needs clarification,a handle. Why not admit you just don't know.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 09:41 am
@deepthot,
deepthot wrote:

I define "God" as "internal energy - combined with all the Intrinsic Values exponentiated."

WOW, do you? Well, I'd say you can expect a following since it's hard to know what it is you mean, and mystical folk often enjoy that sort of thing. You know, being confused, but acting like you know what you mean.

Quote:

And what about when something bad occurs, should we give thanks to God for it? I just created a sandwich with roast beef, mayo, and a spoonful of a horseradish on rye. But, the thing is, I don't want to give God the credit. I want to give myself the credit. After all, it took me about ten minutes from start to finish, and I really think the sandwich was well made.
xris

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131014 wrote:
WOW, do you? Well, I'd say you can expect a following since it's hard to know what it is you mean, and mystical folk often enjoy that sort of thing. You know, being confused, but acting like you know what you mean.

And what about when something bad occurs, should we give thanks to God for it? I just created a sandwich with roast beef, mayo, and a spoonful of a horseradish on rye. But, the thing is, I don't want to give God the credit. I want to give myself the credit. After all, it took me about ten minutes from start to finish, and I really think the sandwich was well made.
Can I have my one without the mayo and a splash of gravy. Oh and a little white pepper.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:02 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131014 wrote:

What about the gun? Is it a good god creation invention or a bad god created invention. I would like to know if I should thank god for the gun's invention or to thank man for it.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:06 am
@deepthot,
xris wrote:

Can I have my one without the mayo and a splash of gravy. Oh and a little white pepper.

White pepper! That's a great idea actually. Gravy? What is that in Britain? I'm thinking you mean something else by gravy.

Krumple wrote:

What about the gun? Is it a good god creation invention or a bad god created invention. I would like to know if I should thank god for the gun's invention or to thank man for it.

I don't know. You may have to check with deepthot. I personally think the gun was a creative (and deadly) invention, but it may not have been creative enough to be dubbed a part of the "Creativity Principle". Maybe only the most creative things we humans have invented, we should give God credit for. Luckily that would mean I can take credit for my sandwich! Very Happy
Krumple

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:11 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131021 wrote:
I don't know. You may have to check with deepthot. I personally think the gun was a creative (and deadly) invention, but it may not have been creative enough to be dubbed a part of the "Creativity Principle". Maybe only the most creative things we humans have invented, we should give God credit for. Luckily that would mean I can take credit for my sandwich! Very Happy

I think this is highly suspect. I never experienced your sandwich so it's goodness is purely subjective. I also haven't seen any credentials that prove you would be any good at building sandwiches. So in conclusion, it is probably just slightly better than mediocre.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:13 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;131022 wrote:
I think this is highly suspect. I never experienced your sandwich so it's goodness is purely subjective. I also haven't seen any credentials that prove you would be any good at building sandwiches. So in conclusion, it is probably just slightly better than mediocre.

No, that's what I meant. Since my sandwich isn't that creative, I get to take credit for it. If it were highly creative, God may have the right to take credit for it (if my theory holds). That's why I said "luckily that means I get to take credit for it". Smile

I am a decent sandwich builder, for the record!
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 12:13 pm
@xris,
xris;131005 wrote:
Even a concept needs clarification,a handle. Why not admit you just don't know.

What am I admitting to not knowing? What did you think I was trying to say?
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 01:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;131021 wrote:
White pepper! That's a great idea actually. Gravy? What is that in Britain? I'm thinking you mean something else by gravy.

Gravy, the recidue of the meat juices mixed with flour and water, basically.

---------- Post added 02-22-2010 at 02:24 PM ----------

Scottydamion;131070 wrote:
What am I admitting to not knowing? What did you think I was trying to say?
creative , benevolence without actually mentioning the word god, appeared your advice. Then I passed the comment ,even they need clarification.
Scottydamion

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 02:13 pm
@xris,
xris;131087 wrote:
creative , benevolence without actually mentioning the word god, appeared your advice. Then I passed the comment ,even they need clarification.

Of course but the less filler the better. I'm not trying to mean god and avoid using the word "god"... I'm trying to comment on the OP which I felt added confusion through use of a filler word.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 04:10 pm
@deepthot,
Oh yeah you don't want to mix anything with yeast, for some reason god hates, absolutely hates yeast.

And don't put any bacon on it either, god hates when you eat swine.
0 Replies