Through the looking glass

Lily

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:35 am
Mirrors are very interesting. When you look into a mirror, there's alway someone looking back at you, unless you're a vampire. And most of you have probably wondered if you could get to the other side of the mirror, through the looking glass...

I layed my head against the cold looking glass, and fell right through.
Everthing was the same, but where were you?
I tried to get back, but the looking glass was just cold underneath my palm
I don't know why, but somehow, I still was calm.
I went to the dining room an sat on a chair.
I saw my reflection in the window glass, and was suprised by my hair.
It looked golden, like a field of barley in the summer sun.
I looked around to see if there was anyone else in the room, but there was none.
I went towards the glass and layed my hand upon it
And once again, I fell right through
But right in front of me, there were you
Dressed like a prince, and I was your princess
We had left the past's, and the present's, confusing mess
You opened your mouth to speak
but at that second I woke up, out my sleep

And yes, I know the grammar is crappy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,112 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:50 am
@Lily,
Oh great, now look what you did, you got me stuck in the mirror. Good going lily.

When I look in the mirror it's not the same persona that I envision myself as.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 08:25 am
@Lily,
Yes, that's the problem with mirrors. They should show what's there, but some has a tendency to show what's not there.
0 Replies

Miles phil

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
@Lily,
Here's an interesting proposition;

How do we know what we truly look like? Only others "see" us through human eyes, but we can only see ourselves in the mirror or photographs.

Usually we consider that we know something, we also can build a mental picture based on having seen it. Can we truly know ourselves if we cannot see what we look like?
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:15 am
@Lily,
Well, it's just a question about defining "see" and "know" and "ourselves" and "truly" and so on..
0 Replies

Miles phil

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:21 am
@Lily,
Well what do you think though?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
@Lily,
Eh, does your outer layer make up who you are? Because that's pretty much all the mirror shows. Not that it doesn't impact you in some way, because it surely can but the part that is effected by what is seen, is who you are. If you like yourself no matter what, then no mirror ever lies to you. But if you don't like yourself, then the mirror has a lot to say but you don't like anything you are hearing.

Other than that, they are only good for mazes and making sure you didn't leave any tooth paste on your lips.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:37 pm
@Lily,
That was beautiful Lily, thanks for posting. You're a real talented star, you know that?
The Dude phil phil

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:57 pm
@Caroline,
Excellent poem Lily.

You're right about there being some grammatical errors, but they aren't horrendous and my philosophy is that "if it's at least readable, then it can be interpreted, and if it can be interpreted, then there will be potential for enjoyment".

There's no meter to the poem, but I like the little rhyme scheme you have going and it gives it a nice and pretty little flow.

Is it suggesting some sort of dual nature in all of us? The potential of what we can be? Or is it literally just an abstract tale about someone (possibly you) falling through the looking glass? Something else perhaps?

Anywho. Addressing some of the other posts in this thread:

You know that the mirror, other than flipping your image, doesn't warp what you (or your "outside layer") looks like too much because whenever you see someone else in the mirror, they generally look the same as when you're viewing them directly through your human eyes.

However. Our brain receives and interprets the frequencies of light waves in a certain way. Who's to say that some alien race in the universe wouldn't look at us and perceive the milky-to-dark tones of our skins as various orange tints because of the way their eyes evolved? Maybe their eyes are more sensitive to light and they perceive a glow around all of us? Maybe they see us as some color that we can't even possibly perceive?

Vision is merely your brain's interpretation of its physical surroundings. And these two can be warped by chemicals like LSD interacting with your brain and blocking up receptors.

There's no way to know what everything literally looks like down to the most precise of levels because our sense of vision, no matter how acute, will always warp the images it perceives in some slight way.

As for the philosophical definition of "vision", that's too relative for me to even wanna touch with a ten foot pole.

Whenever I look at myself in the mirror after a long day I'm always reminded of how human I am. Sometimes when I'm floating all over the place from this first-person-perspective and taking in my surroundings and thinking about as much as I can, I feel really cerebral.

And looking in the mirror really knocks this narcissistic illusion down a few pegs. It's nice.

I always feel more physically fit than I normally perceive myself and less cerebral than I normally perceive myself when I take a look in the mirror.

It's odd.
Zacrates

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:22 pm
@Lily,
The mirror shows you what you want to see....... It depends on your state of mind....
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:37 pm
@Lily,
The mirros shows all it can, the truth.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:28 am
@The Dude phil phil,
The_Dude;96963 wrote:

Is it suggesting some sort of dual nature in all of us? The potential of what we can be? Or is it literally just an abstract tale about someone (possibly you) falling through the looking glass? Something else perhaps?

My head is alway filled up with fairytales, so, when I sit on the bus, or am out walking the dogs, I'm a princess in my own imagination. The poem is the answer to one of the many what-if-questions I ask myself. But to be honest, it's mostly words I think fit together. I like the fact that you ask questions, I'd like my poems to do that. I guess the waking up part is the reality...
0 Replies