Can science agree with the concept of life after death?

jeeprs

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:45 pm
@Leonard,
Fair enough, Zetherin, I aplogise with regards to the remarks directed at you. I am arguing a case with someone but I accept that you might not be that person.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:50 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;93641 wrote:
Fair enough, Zetherin, I aplogise with regards to the remarks directed at you. I am arguing a case with someone but I accept that you might not be that person.

Listen, man, I think you got the impression that because I was saying Stevenson's work isn't science, that I'm one that just dismisses all things which are not science. This isn't the case, and I know there are many other methods with which one may acquire knowledge. I tried to be as clear as possible, but I failed. Communication is a dance, and we were stumbling -- it's both of our doing.

I'm not sure who here does have the stance you're arguing against. Most seem to be at least considering Stevenson's work, even if they don't agree with it. Wouldn't you say that's the case?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:59 pm
@Leonard,
I have been having the argument/discussion about science, spirituality, materialism, and so on, for years, so I come into it with a lot of, how shall we say, momentum. Maybe I am guilty of the 'strawman' type of approach - perhaps I have an imaginary opponent whom I believe holds the kinds of attitudes that I wish to criticize, and then argue with that person. Sigh. Well I suppose that is the great thing about this forum, being able to go through all these issues and talk them through. Thanks.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 06:03 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;93645 wrote:
I have been having the argument/discussion about science, spirituality, materialism, and so on, for years, so I come into it with a lot of, how shall we say, momentum. Maybe I am guilty of the 'strawman' type of approach - perhaps I have an imaginary opponent whom I believe holds the kinds of attitudes that I wish to criticize, and then argue with that person. Sigh. Well I suppose that is the great thing about this forum, being able to go through all these issues and talk them through. Thanks.

You're my new favorite member. It takes a lot to say what you just said. I respect.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:43 am
@xris,
xris;93612 wrote:
The scenario is that the leopard is possible extinct and a photo is produced, now do you trust the image? The photographer is well known, now what do you say? The point im making, you jumped to the conclusion without question that the leopard existed but the yeti did not.

Of course I jumped to the conclusion that the leopard existed and the yeti did not. There is evidence of a snow leopard existing, and no evidence of a yeti existing. We aren't going to say something exists unless we're provided evidence, are we?

Quote:
Science decides by previous inbuilt prejudices, inspired by the societies that survive by its dogma.

These conspiracy theories are getting old. Science doesn't go by prejudices, it goes by evidence. Science isn't discriminating against yetis, hobgoblins, or the manticore, there's just no evidence of these creatures ever having existed! It's not a dogma I'm following when I choose to not consider a mythological creature real when no evidence is provided. :perplexed:

Boy, you really must be fighting tooth and nail to have the creatures presented in The Lord of the Rings trilogy to be scientifically noted!
xris

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:13 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94401 wrote:
Of course I jumped to the conclusion that the leopard existed and the yeti did not. There is evidence of a snow leopard existing, and no evidence of a yeti existing. We aren't going to say something exists unless we're provided evidence, are we?

These conspiracy theories are getting old. Science doesn't go by prejudices, it goes by evidence. Science isn't discriminating against yetis, hobgoblins, or the manticore, there's just no evidence of these creatures ever having existed! It's not a dogma I'm following when I choose to not consider a mythological creature real when no evidence is provided. :perplexed:

Boy, you really must be fighting tooth and nail to have the creatures presented in The Lord of the Rings trilogy to be scientifically noted!
Your distortion of my post and your inability to answer it has been noted.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:28 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;93637 wrote:
Beg to differ, I am not ignoring it, nor misunderstanding it, in fact as I said, I agree with you in many respects. But the case of Ian Stevenson's evidence of "children who recall their past lives" is compelling. There are cases where children remembered their previous names, occupations, names of family members, numerous features of the landscape around where they lived, and in some cases the circumstances in which they died.

How can the children be remembering if those children were not reincarnated in the first place? That they are remembering anything assumes, and does not prove, that they lived past lives. What is your argument that those children are actually remembering anything rather that thinking that they remember?
I am surprised that you cannot see the logical point.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:43 am
@xris,
xris;94419 wrote:
Your distortion of my post and your inability to answer it has been noted.

Cool.

Now that they're noted, care to share how I distorted your post and didn't answer it?

By the way, for all you readers out there, here's the post:

xris wrote:

The scenario is that the leopard is possible extinct and a photo is produced, now do you trust the image? The photographer is well known, now what do you say? The point im making, you jumped to the conclusion without question that the leopard existed but the yeti did not. You never asked who took the photos , the photo of the yeti was taken by the same man as who took the leopard, now what do you say?

Science decides by previous inbuilt prejudices, inspired by the societies that survive by its dogma.

Maybe someone out there can jump in and tell me where I misinterpreted, if xris doesn't wish to do so himself.
xris

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:05 pm
@Zetherin,
Try working out yourself please, dont beg for guidance its so demeaning.

---------- Post added 09-30-2009 at 01:09 PM ----------

kennethamy;94422 wrote:
How can the children be remembering if those children were not reincarnated in the first place? That they are remembering anything assumes, and does not prove, that they lived past lives. What is your argument that those children are actually remembering anything rather that thinking that they remember?
So if these stated events are true what would these recorded events be telling you?
Zetherin

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:12 pm
@xris,
xris;94439 wrote:
Try working out yourself please, dont beg for guidance its so demeaning.

You respond with a dry, abrasive, uninformative one-liner and then upon me asking for guidance, particularly from you (since you made the statement I distorted your post), you state my requesting is demeaning?

As far as I'm concerned, I answered your point directly. More importantly, I don't know why you have such an attitude with me. I'm suspecting it has to do with me criticizing your argument earlier. I'm sorry if you took offense to my criticisms.
xris

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94444 wrote:
You respond with a dry, abrasive, uninformative one-liner and then upon me asking for guidance, particularly from you (since you made the statement I distorted your post), you state my requesting is demeaning?

As far as I'm concerned, I answered your point directly. More importantly, I don't know why you have such an attitude with me. I'm suspecting it has to do with me criticizing your argument earlier. I'm sorry if you took offense to my criticisms.
Its not criticism if you respond to my posts by making rhetoric statements. I dont believe in Yetis with the available evidence, but is that relevant? Cant you see that you accepted by previous acknowledged scientific facts that snow leopards exist so the two photos represented to you by your reasoning, one was correct and one was false, could you please explain why you automatically jumped to that conclusion? Now remember not because snow leopards exist and yetis dont.. I tried to point out to you that the scientific mind, by its historic knowledge always enters a debate with preconceived ideas about what is true and what is false. True science should never do that.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:15 pm
@Leonard,
xris wrote:

Cant you see that you accepted by previous acknowledged scientific facts that snow leopards exist so the two photos represented to you by your reasoning, one was correct and one was false, could you please explain why you automatically jumped to that conclusion?

Well, in my case, I've researched yetis in the past, and I've never heard of any conclusive evidence of their existence. I didn't jump to the conclusion based on any prejudice for yetis. But sometimes I do jump to conclusions without doing any research because the creature or happenstance just sounds fantastical. And this isn't a bad thing -- as I've noted, anyone could just imagine any type of creature or happenstance they desire... should I acknowledge that the creature or happenstance exists simply because someone just thought it up? No, I'm skeptical, and I need evidence for belief.

Quote:

I tried to point out to you that the scientific mind, by its historic knowledge always enters a debate with preconceived ideas about what is true and what is false

It's not necessarily that they have ideas about what is true or false but rather what is proven or unproven. A scientist can only work with what he/she has, so it's not that they're blindly saying "Yetis don't exist", they're saying "I don't know of any evidence that supports the claim that yetis exist". And, as I noted, one can't just go around considering if just anything exists - people can just fantastically make anything up and scientists would be on a wild goose chase!

If someone actually does provide evidence that yetis do indeed exist, scientists aren't going to just ignore this on some hidden prejudice you think they have. Any good scientist will consider the evidence and evaluate it (if in fact it's evidence). But by the same token, you can't expect scientists to perform the scientific method on speculation - they can't!

Quote:

True science should never do that.

True speculation and imagination should never do that. Science has to do that - the scientific method has to have something to work with. If it doesn't, the matter is speculation, not science.
xris

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Should i try again and explain my reasoning? no I dont think so. I do believe you understand me but refuse to acknowledge the concept of approaching a scientific enquiry with no preconceptions.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:45 pm
@xris,
Hopefully this is clear enough for you.

this:

xris wrote:
the concept of approaching a scientific enquiry with no preconceptions.

is what scientists do. Scienists don't conduct scientific analysis based on opinion or prejudice (and the few who do I'm sure are found out real damn fast through peer review and the like).

To be even clearer: Your yeti example was not an instance of scientists having preconceptions about the nonexistence of yetis.
xris

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 03:10 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94461 wrote:
Hopefully this is clear enough for you.

this:

is what scientists do. Scienists don't conduct scientific analysis based on opinion or prejudice (and the few who do I'm sure are found out real damn fast through peer review and the like).

To be even clearer: Your yeti example was not an instance of scientists having preconceptions about the nonexistence of yetis.
Your preconception that yetis dont exist and snow leopards do, influenced your response to my statement, just like scientists do with any subject that falls out of general belief. Its a human condition that scientists are just as prone to exhibiting, as anyone else. They are prejudiced by the structure of the society they inhabit, not one of them dares step outside. They have seen what happens to those who do.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 03:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;94422 wrote:
What is your argument that those children are actually remembering anything rather that thinking that they remember?

EMPIRICAL RESEARCH.

These children knew material particulars which it would be impossible for them to know by any rational means. They knew the names of people, the location of buildings and landmarks, and they had memories of events and so on.

The kind of detail was, for example, they remembered living in a white stucco house, with two cypress pines near the front gate and a red arch over the doorway, with a father called Moustafa, and so on. (I am quoting that from memory, but it is the kind of detail that was typical.)

So unless you have a better explanation than 'that could NEVER happen' then Dr Ian Stevenson's more than 100 documented cases are, in fact, 'suggestive of reincarnation', as he claimed.
Leonard

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 04:20 pm
@Leonard,
None of these 100+ posts seem to answer the question. So i'll render this thread inconclusive. There are too many ad hominems, anyway.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 04:57 pm
@Leonard,
jeeprs wrote:
These children knew material particulars which it would be impossible for them to know by any rational means. They knew the names of people, the location of buildings and landmarks, and they had memories of events and so on.

The kind of detail was, for example, they remembered living in a white stucco house, with two cypress pines near the front gate and a red arch over the doorway, with a father called Moustafa, and so on. (I am quoting that from memory, but it is the kind of detail that was typical.)

So unless you have a better explanation than 'that could NEVER happen' then Dr Ian Stevenson's more than 100 documented cases are, in fact, 'suggestive of reincarnation', as he claimed.

But see, even if everything you just said is true and these children eerily remembered this or that, you can't just conclude "reincarnation" based on no better explanations! Doesn't that seem a little convenient to you? Like the author is simply trying to reach the conclusion he desires, not the one that actually is? It does to me. Nothing actually points to reincarnation, we just have unexplained events. Wouldn't you agree?

The bottom line is that those testimonies do not prove reincarnation. At all, at all. It's simply not a logical conclusion.

xris wrote:
Your preconception that yetis dont exist and snow leopards do, influenced your response to my statement, just like scientists do with any subject that falls out of general belief. Its a human condition that scientists are just as prone to exhibiting, as anyone else. They are prejudiced by the structure of the society they inhabit, not one of them dares step outside. They have seen what happens to those who do.

I understand what you're saying, and you're of course right to an extent - everyone is influenced by the society they live in. It could be popular at some time to conduct scientific research in particular areas, and I'm sure there are fads in the scientific world just like anywhere else. But what I'm saying is: scientists do not judge evidence like some popularity contest. It's either evidence or it's not. They aren't discriminating against yetis, they just have no evidence for yetis existing. Many people are open-minded, scientists especially, and would immediately rethink their preconception (that there's been no prior evidence of yetis existing and therefore they don't exist) if someone provided evidence.

Basically, you think that if there were evidence for yetis existing, scientists would just dismiss it due to their preconception. Is this correct? If so, I wholly disagree.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:22 pm
@Leonard,
Zetherin;94476 wrote:
But see, even if everything you just said is true and these children eerily remembered this or that, you can't just conclude "reincarnation" based on no better explanations! Doesn't that seem a little convenient to you? Like the author is simply trying to reach the conclusion he desires, not the one that actually is? It does to me. Nothing actually points to reincarnation, we just have unexplained events. Wouldn't you agree?

As said several times in this thread, Ian Stevenson has always said that these cases are suggestive of re-birth. There is a lot of detailed information that requires explaining. If you have a better explanation let's hear it, but it reading of the actual case studies would probably be advisable.

It is true, of course, that some will want the evidence to support reincarnation. It is equally true that some will want the evidence not to support it. Both are pre-judgements, don't you think? It is amazing the things that people are willing to consider if confronted by data that challenges a core belief.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:03 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;94470 wrote:
EMPIRICAL RESEARCH.

The kind of detail was, for example, they remembered living in a white stucco house, with two cypress pines near the front gate and a red arch over the doorway, with a father called Moustafa, and so on.

But all you can say is that they claimed to remember that. If none of that was true, then they did not, in fact, remember it. Saying that they remembered it implies that they were reincarnated. And that is exactly what is at issue.

You claim that they could not have known these details "by any rational means", by which I suppose you mean that they could have known it only if they actually remembered it. Well, of course that is the issue. The question now is this: what are the chances that the children actually remembered what Stevenson claims they remembered, as contrasted with the chances that there were some misunderstandings, or even fraud committed? I am not denying that it is possible that the children are reincarnated, you understand. What I am saying is that it is more probable that some error was made by the researchers, or that some fraud was perpetuated, than that the children actually remembered what it is claimed they remembered.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:34:48