Can science agree with the concept of life after death?

xris

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:25 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;91816 wrote:
Well I have to be fair, I would analyze it. To be honest there are times when I have outright rejected something without giving it fair examination. But I try to quell such behavior and be as impartial as I can. I also don't give absolute knowledge over to any one person, weather it be friends or family or from strangers. Their wisdom or knowledge is all on equal par and I don't alter my opinion on a friendship bias. I have friends here on the board, but I challenge them all the same as with those who I wouldn't consider friends.

I respect those who can fire back at me (sorta speak)
I dont think you understood my question ,maybe it was my ship english.

My mother ,who was an atheist by the way, had dream about a train crash victim. I will add we all new about this crash. The names had not been released but she was visited in her dreams by a certain army officer, asking her to visit his wife and say goodbye for him, as he had on this one occasion not done so and had died in the crash. Now subsequently his name was published as one of the dead, two days later. How would you have handled this ? My mother never did contact her ,fearing she may think my mother a crank.
Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:32 am
@xris,
xris;91826 wrote:
I dont think you understood my question ,maybe it was my ship english.

My mother ,who was an atheist by the way, had dream about a train crash victim. I will add we all new about this crash. The names had not been released but she was visited in her dreams by a certain army officer, asking her to visit his wife and say goodbye for him, as he had on this one occasion not done so and had died in the crash. Now subsequently his name was published as one of the dead, two days later. How would you have handled this ? My mother never did contact her ,fearing she may think my mother a crank.

I think all cases like this or anything that might be considered metaphysical should be given a chance to take stage. However; we shouldn't just accept these things without some kind of investigation. We must be fair on both sides.

On a side note, is this any different than waking up in the morning with some kind of food in mind and then it so happens later that night you are eating what you woke up to? But you had absolute no say in the decision making for deciding that food choice?

Xris. I have seen cases, read stories, and even had friends family members who have "psychic" powers. I can't honestly say if a person is authentic or not but even if they are authentic, what does it do for us? What does it do that someone gets visited by some spirit? If you can't actually provide any evidence other than a personal claim, it does nothing for anyone else.

I was once told by a guy that my mom was the person that broke his nose off in Egypt. The great things you hear while walking on the streets of Seattle.
Caroline

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:39 am
@Krumple,

Krumple;91830 wrote:
I

Xris. I have seen cases, read stories, and even had friends family members who have "psychic" powers. I can't honestly say if a person is authentic or not but even if they are authentic, what does it do for us? What does it do that someone gets visited by some spirit? If you can't actually provide any evidence other than a personal claim, it does nothing for anyone else.

I was once told by a guy that my mom was the person that broke his nose off in Egypt. The great things you hear while walking on the streets of Seattle.

Why do you need evidence, just feel, you don't have to prove to anybody whether you are psychic or not, just feel, just do it. Proving it has got nothing to do with the experience.:poke-eye:
See Ya.
Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:45 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;91831 wrote:

Why do you need evidence, just feel, you don't have to prove to anybody whether you are psychic or not, just feel, just do it. Proving it has got nothing to do with the experience.:poke-eye:
See Ya.

Yeah this sort of thing allows people like John Edward to manipulate people and make money off them. He refuses to take James Randi's physic challenge to prove that he actually has the abilities that he claims to have. He has been shown to be what they call a "cold reader". But he maintains that he has psychic abilities. If he does why won't the accept the challenge? What does he have to lose? Nothing if he is not lying.
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:29 am
@Leonard,
I haven't even been watching this thread, in fact I kind of discarded it, and already I have 44 posts.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:48 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;91830 wrote:
I think all cases like this or anything that might be considered metaphysical should be given a chance to take stage. However; we shouldn't just accept these things without some kind of investigation. We must be fair on both sides.

On a side note, is this any different than waking up in the morning with some kind of food in mind and then it so happens later that night you are eating what you woke up to? But you had absolute no say in the decision making for deciding that food choice?

i appreciate what you are saying but dreaming of certain food is not exactly the same as naming a dead person before his name was made public. I know its difficult for you to comment on my mothers experience, but im asking if it had been your mother how would you have investigated it? I asked my mother, are you sure you had the name right, my sister confirmed it. Now the only question, was his name mentioned on the radio , prematurely and she subconsciously heard it. The BBC the only radio transmitting at that time said no. So what else would you have done or thought?

Having this experience begs certain questions, what questions does it pose for you. Its not the only one and after a time you cant help to start questioning your ability to rationalise them.
Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:11 am
@xris,
xris;92200 wrote:
Having this experience begs certain questions, what questions does it pose for you. Its not the only one and after a time you cant help to start questioning your ability to rationalise them.

Well like I said, I play no favorites who is making the claim. If it was my mother or not, I would still approach it the same way, with skepticism.

If you told me that you had pancakes for breakfast. I couldn't prove or disprove that you had pancakes for breakfast. I would take you for your word. But if you told me that you had pancakes for breakfast while on board an alien space craft. I would be skeptical. Why? Because extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

If I just took you for your word then we wouldn't have any basis for any scientific discovery. We wouldn't be able to trust any work of science. Nothing that was ever written could be trusted. What we do when we learn something is trust that those involved have put forth great effort to provide evidence for their claims. We should do the same for any strange story or ability. If we started taking people for their word, then Elvis is still alive.

I am not calling your mother a liar, but there are too many possibilities. Maybe the name was similar? Maybe she did hear the name prior to hearing the story. Maybe she imagined hearing the name and assumed she heard it. There is just far too many points that could have easily misled her experience.
KaseiJin

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:30 am
@Leonard,
But there is a big blackhole in the middle of this thing. It is firstly the matter of 'life,' and then the matter of 'death.' What in the world is the problem with thinking that what has come to this state that we can call, and do call, being alive (be it a human, a chimpanzee, a mouse, a tree, or the moss on the parts of the tiles on my roof) does not die, if we use the word 'die'--for crying outloud !!

Ok, so what we can know, what science as a method allows us to be able to more fully understand as being the most likely event, is that a state of being alive--of having life--is a certain state, with a number of certain properties. This can be put together fairly well.

Now, those who want to say that we (and again, why 'WE' [or do we mean all life forms . . .]) never die, want to say the the personality, the consciousness, the knowledge of, and tendency to be aware of the possession of, a body and an individual mind, continue as is for all eternity.

Reincarnation, as well as the idea of having an eternally surviving soul (or in such form, living in heaven or hell forever,) is based on exactly the same concept. What we can learn through careful observation and scientific method, is about that which makes a living thing, and by extension, the essence of being alive, having 'a life,' and having a personality and consciousness. By our better understanding of these things, we can conclude that life after death (in the sense of a human's memory banks, personality, cognitive function and intelligence, consciousness state, and physical connection to mind and brain elements) is a false conception based on the emotional desire involved with the instinct to survive (from ages ago).
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:34 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;92207 wrote:
Well like I said, I play no favorites who is making the claim. If it was my mother or not, I would still approach it the same way, with skepticism.

If you told me that you had pancakes for breakfast. I couldn't prove or disprove that you had pancakes for breakfast. I would take you for your word. But if you told me that you had pancakes for breakfast while on board an alien space craft. I would be skeptical. Why? Because extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

If I just took you for your word then we wouldn't have any basis for any scientific discovery. We wouldn't be able to trust any work of science. Nothing that was ever written could be trusted. What we do when we learn something is trust that those involved have put forth great effort to provide evidence for their claims. We should do the same for any strange story or ability. If we started taking people for their word, then Elvis is still alive.

I am not calling your mother a liar, but there are too many possibilities. Maybe the name was similar? Maybe she did hear the name prior to hearing the story. Maybe she imagined hearing the name and assumed she heard it. There is just far too many points that could have easily misled her experience.
Yes I know all that, I act in the same manner. My sister has told me or confirmed several times she, my mother, came down from her room shaken by her dream and retold the dream, my sister said there was no doubting the name or what she said. It was forty years ago when the radio stood by its code of reporting and the police had not released his name. I know there could be rational explaination but it questions your views non the less.

I have come across many unexplained experiences and I to have had them, also , you could each and everyone say he could be lying or confused or some other such reason. That's OK from an objective view point but when its a subjective experience its very difficult to discount them.

---------- Post added 09-20-2009 at 09:46 AM ----------

KaseiJin;92209 wrote:
But there is a big blackhole in the middle of this thing. It is firstly the matter of 'life,' and then the matter of 'death.' What in the world is the problem with thinking that what has come to this state that we can call, and do call, being alive (be it a human, a chimpanzee, a mouse, a tree, or the moss on the parts of the tiles on my roof) does not die, if we use the word 'die'--for crying outloud !!

Ok, so what we can know, what science as a method allows us to be able to more fully understand as being the most likely event, is that a state of being alive--of having life--is a certain state, with a number of certain properties. This can be put together fairly well.

Now, those who want to say that we (and again, why 'WE' [or do we mean all life forms . . .]) never die, want to say the the personality, the consciousness, the knowledge of, and tendency to be aware of the possession of, a body and an individual mind, continue as is for all eternity.

Reincarnation, as well as the idea of having an eternally surviving soul (or in such form, living in heaven or hell forever,) is based on exactly the same concept. What we can learn through careful observation and scientific method, is about that which makes a living thing, and by extension, the essence of being alive, having 'a life,' and having a personality and consciousness. By our better understanding of these things, we can conclude that life after death (in the sense of a human's memory banks, personality, cognitive function and intelligence, consciousness state, and physical connection to mind and brain elements) is a false conception based on the emotional desire involved with the instinct to survive (from ages ago).
You are being emotional and letting your beliefs cloud your judgement. Whose talking about heaven and hell or the concept of human experience being a permanent fixture. You can not conceive of anything other than a human earth bound existance, so you inject your narrow views in to what the consequences are, of imagining more.

You assume I have an innate desire to seek heaven or reduce the fear of death by conjuring up a soul. I have only tried to explain my experiences of life, if I dont, my life is meaningless.
Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:24 am
@Leonard,
Here is another way to look at the life after death theory.

What if I do not want to live after this life ends? Do I have that option? Do I have the option to terminate that existence? Or do I have no choice but to exist for ever? If I can die in the next existence because I do not want to continue existing, wouldn't that be considered a death after death?

If there is a death after death then what determines that death? Is it just a wishful thought or can you be murdered too? Can someone simply think themselves dead, or can they think someone else dead and they die? See these types of questions pose paradoxes in reasoning. Where there are paradoxes there shortly follows a fallacy in logic. This calls into question the validity of the whole concept then.

The only logical conclusion is that there is no life after death.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:38 am
@xris,
Here, xris, I ask for careful reading and consideration. The concept of life after death--alias, never dying--has been around for a long time before either of us had been born. I am talking about this general presented notion. It is most obvious that such conception had been imprinted on your mind from early childhood as well.

In all practical experience of recorded human activity and knowlege to date, the greater total of it all gives us a very determinable understanding of what life form is. . . and that is, terrestrial.

While you have tried to explain an interpretation of an experience you have had, and remembered, you have exactly claimed, by doing so, that there is life after death, and by doing so, as most do, you have claimed that you, yourself, as your cognitive and memory banks, personality and emotional constituents, will survive, as is, at death, in that state and condition.

If you do not mean such, then what would would have beeen the point of your having, on a number of occasions, gone out of your way to mention that you feel you had died, and yet had lived on . . . and now live? Your live is not meaningless, xris, even if you tend to not attach any meaning to living...the fact that you live, is meaningful !! So tell, me, do you think that a human, a bat, a frog, and the moss of my parts of the roof of my house all never die?
xris

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:27 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;92243 wrote:
Here, xris, I ask for careful reading and consideration. The concept of life after death--alias, never dying--has been around for a long time before either of us had been born. I am talking about this general presented notion. It is most obvious that such conception had been imprinted on your mind from early childhood as well.

In all practical experience of recorded human activity and knowlege to date, the greater total of it all gives us a very determinable understanding of what life form is. . . and that is, terrestrial.

While you have tried to explain an interpretation of an experience you have had, and remembered, you have exactly claimed, by doing so, that there is life after death, and by doing so, as most do, you have claimed that you, yourself, as your cognitive and memory banks, personality and emotional constituents, will survive, as is, at death, in that state and condition.

If you do not mean such, then what would would have beeen the point of your having, on a number of occasions, gone out of your way to mention that you feel you had died, and yet had lived on . . . and now live? Your live is not meaningless, xris, even if you tend to not attach any meaning to living...the fact that you live, is meaningful !! So tell, me, do you think that a human, a bat, a frog, and the moss of my parts of the roof of my house all never die?
I have never said i have died and lived on and i do attach every thing to living but if I ignore its experiences then life serves no purpose.

I have no idea of the outcome of admitting i believe we have a soul and by certain means we live after our earthly body dies. Your attachment to believing we are experiences and nothing more, begs the same question i asked you before, if you experience and then forget those experiences are you a diferent person. When a man looses his memory does his character change? You put too much faith in the notion we need to remember to be who we are.

We are all subject to our experiences, your life experiences have influenced you to believe there is no after life, so are you wrong because you have been influenced?

---------- Post added 09-20-2009 at 12:38 PM ----------

Krumple;92240 wrote:
Here is another way to look at the life after death theory.

What if I do not want to live after this life ends? Do I have that option? Do I have the option to terminate that existence? Or do I have no choice but to exist for ever? If I can die in the next existence because I do not want to continue existing, wouldn't that be considered a death after death?

If there is a death after death then what determines that death? Is it just a wishful thought or can you be murdered too? Can someone simply think themselves dead, or can they think someone else dead and they die? See these types of questions pose paradoxes in reasoning. Where there are paradoxes there shortly follows a fallacy in logic. This calls into question the validity of the whole concept then.

The only logical conclusion is that there is no life after death.
Did you ask to be born, can we alter the nature of things, I have no idea but does that make the possibility of life after death illogical? I dont think so. If you are looking for a defined truth you will be sadly dissatisfied.

If I could prove that other parallel universes exist but we can not get to them, would you deny their existence because i could not describe them?
Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:43 am
@xris,
xris;92253 wrote:
Did you ask to be born, can we alter the nature of things, I have no idea but does that make the possibility of life after death illogical? I dont think so. If you are looking for a defined truth you will be sadly dissatisfied.

I didn't ask, but I also didn't just spontaneously arise either. Something had to occur to produce my brain that believes itself a being. I think I was taught that I am a being. I think I was taught that I have existence. I had no part in my existence, I also still don't have any part in my existence. My body does as it wants when it wants. I have very little control over this body. My thought processes rely on this body. I highly doubt that these thought processes will continue after this body falls to the ground for the final time.

If I exist for ever after this existence, it would be hell even if it were heaven.
xris

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:53 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;92256 wrote:
I didn't ask, but I also didn't just spontaneously arise either. Something had to occur to produce my brain that believes itself a being. I think I was taught that I am a being. I think I was taught that I have existence. I had no part in my existence, I also still don't have any part in my existence. My body does as it wants when it wants. I have very little control over this body. My thought processes rely on this body. I highly doubt that these thought processes will continue after this body falls to the ground for the final time.

If I exist for ever after this existence, it would be hell even if it were heaven.
You are contemplating the result of believing in possibilities, I cant tell you if you will be bored shirtless for eternity or we have an eternity of living and dying, i dont know. Why deny discovering a new world just because it may have no beaches.
KaseiJin

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:58 pm
@xris,
xris;89817 wrote:
Science tries but its a bit difficult trying to prove that death is anything other than a morbid, full stop. Those who believe by experience, like I, should not be suprised that it is an impossible task, to convince others that life could be just a transition from one state to another.(bold mine)

Linguistically, it can be taken here that you are saying you have experienced that death is not a 'morbid, full stop.' As that fits within this thread, at least, we can take that as your saying you have experienced life after death. Add to that, the likes of . . .

[indent]
xris;66707 wrote:
i am assured there is more than this life by my experiences ..

xris;67941 wrote:

I have never heard anything of scientific value that can discount the "I" or the ego or what i call the soul...

xris;77051 wrote:
. . . it does not help my belief in a soul or the individual "I".(bold mine)
[/indent]

From the above, and a number of other posts of yours, xris, it is evident that you hold that which is the cognized awareness of self being and self possession, that which is the result of brain build and all that builds towards that cognitively acknowledged state, to equate a soul. Then, from the above, and a number of other posts of yours, you have expressed in so many words that you consider it a fact (or in some posts, a possibility) that a soul (that "I") continues living in absence of the physical body and its organs.

xris;92253 wrote:
I have never said i have died and lived on

Therefore, while in the strictest sense, you have not claimed to have died and lived on, it can neither be denied that you have very strongly implied that you have had an experience which had led you to believe that brain function demise does not occur at death.

I am not sure the latter portions of your post in question (that linked to in that last quote, above) have that much bearing here along the lines of reasoning which you appear to be trying to take it, in that post.

In the event of brain damage that changes an element of a person's brain build in such a way as to cause personality change, we would often hear expressions of the like of 'he's just not the same person anymore.' The reality of the circumstances is that that brain build/state has changed compared to what had been its normality, but other organs remain basically the same--the face, the skeletal structure and muscle structure do not change (although if the defect causes loss of muscle activity, the affected muscles will atropy over time)--and in this sense, and in the biological entity sense, the person is the same person.

What has been come to be more securely reasoned through the aggregate of careful study (which is experience where the 'objective' meets 'subjective') is that a single, individual brain, is just that. If removal of a brain structure causes explicit and most implicit memory to fail from that point onward (past memories up to that point in tact), then that brain will never ever be able to build memory. If that structure were to be removed at birth (simply to offer an avenue of a more concrete conceptualizing of the situation) that brain would never ever record memory either--thus to that extent that person, as they grew up otherwise, would always be an infant. (consider what conclusions can be reached)

To make a long explanation shorter, it is a fact that because of brain build/state we smell, taste, hear, see, feel, cognate, have emotion, volition, self-identity and possession, and have recall. As brain degenerates, these too degenerate in varying order and degrees. As brain decays, these too decay. It follows more logically, then, that with the total decomposition of brain, the total decomposition of these as a composite of that individual brain will have occurred. This is what is gleaned from the empirical knowledge demonstrated though scientific method, and in this sense, then, science cannot only not agree that there is life after death, but can show that such is most likely not the case.

If we were to throw away the 'old world' concept of 'a soul,' on the other hand, and say that by having arrived from earth (uncountable collective noun), and pointing out that what it is that makes us, goes back to earth to possibly work towards other earth-based entities, then we can say that there is life after death in that that which is us participates in. In this sense, we could say that science agrees with the concept of there being life after death--many, many, MANY living entities have died on this planet over the past several hundred million years . . . with extremely little new material coming in from outerspace, and extremely little material leaving from the gaia system . . . it's all here still.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 09:25 pm
@Leonard,
I think, ANECDOTALLY, that one of the strongest indicators of the 'many lives' idea is uncanny talent, such as that exhibited by musical geniuses or prodigies of various kinds. Mozart was able to compose mature works by age 7. J.S. Bach, on being taken to Church as a young child, was able to write out most of the ornate choral music he had heard during a single visit, and then correct it on the basis of a subsequent visit, so that it was note-perfect.

Quite apart from anything else, how can you explain the 'brain-build' necessary to perform these wonders? As I have pointed out in other threads, I don't think the criteria of 'evolution by adaption' is sufficient to explain human genius, as there seem to be human characteristics that go far beyond anything required by the exigencies of survival. (In fact it is one of the areas where the idea of evolution fails to provide a sufficient account of the potential of human nature, however that is another thread).

Secondly, there are undoubtedly people born with uncanny aptitudes and talents. Quite apart from the genius level of Mozart and Bach, there are born pianists, born painters, born golfers, born mathematicians. It often almost seems that these people bring with them innate capacities. It is not too much of a stretch to see it as experience 'from your past life'. Whether it is literally true, I don't know, and I don't think I would want to try and prove it, but it is a lovely idea.
Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:19 pm
@xris,
xris;92258 wrote:
You are contemplating the result of believing in possibilities, I cant tell you if you will be bored shirtless for eternity or we have an eternity of living and dying, i dont know. Why deny discovering a new world just because it may have no beaches.

Yeah but my whole point is, what if i don't want to go to the island? So can there be a death in the after life? It pokes holes in the whole concept. If there is a death in the after life then what is the after life? A pseudo life? A place where you can kill yourself if you want? Or are you a permanent resident? You are stuck in the after life for ever?
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:45 pm
@jeeprs,
Yes, jeeprs, it is fair to give credit to that anecdotal view as being a lovely story, or idea. Of course, if we were to look at it more carefully, we would begin to see how savantism comes about, and how certain talents and skills can come about--in most cases (and thus can be generally applied as having root cause in some way in those which cannot be so easily seen).

Actually, what is learned is that it is brain build/state that is responsible. It is far less common to have this build than it is, for example, to have that of Down Syndrome, Elfin syndrome, or Turner's Syndrome; and so on, but in the exact same way, it is brain build towards an 'upper end,' as opposed to these latter builds. Details of this I will later present on another thread, however.

jeeprs;92306 wrote:
As I have pointed out in other threads, I don't think the criteria of 'evolution by adaption' is sufficient to explain human genius, as there seem to be human characteristics that go far beyond anything required by the exigencies of survival.

Yes, in a direct line, I'd tend to agree with this understanding. However, I would argue that it would be inaccurate to try to draw a straight line to this present brain condition (the 'big brain' build as we now have it, and all the possible arrangments that it can take on in individual cases).

Like yourself, I take it, jeeprs, I just happen to have a little above average ability in music and art. I would take genetic give as having a part, as well as upbringing environment, and personal history (my two younger sisters did not gain these, although my elder sister did). I have no strong enough reason, in face of other evidences (such as, for one example, direct genetic loan from my parents which had built this particular hardwired, neonatal brain from which deleopment furthered towards the present build/state) to say that a previously living brain has accumulated in this one.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:04 pm
@Leonard,
I agree, I don't think the inheritance of talent (if that is what it is) can necessarily be understood in a linear fashion. Perhaps we could just say that the interplay between heritage, genetics, evolution, culture, and so on, is so subtle, and so complex, it produces 'an emergent result' which often seems greater than the sum of its antecedents.

I am sure there is much more to be done in investigating these kind of phenomena.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:57 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;92303 wrote:
Linguistically, it can be taken here that you are saying you have experienced that death is not a 'morbid, full stop.' As that fits within this thread, at least, we can take that as your saying you have experienced life after death. Add to that, the likes of . . .
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]From the above, and a number of other posts of yours, xris, it is evident that you hold that which is the cognized awareness of self being and self possession, that which is the result of brain build and all that builds towards that cognitively acknowledged state, to equate a soul. Then, from the above, and a number of other posts of yours, you have expressed in so many words that you consider it a fact (or in some posts, a possibility) that a soul (that "I") continues living in absence of the physical body and its organs.

Therefore, while in the strictest sense, you have not claimed to have died and lived on, it can neither be denied that you have very strongly implied that you have had an experience which had led you to believe that brain function demise does not occur at death.

I am not sure the latter portions of your post in question (that linked to in that last quote, above) have that much bearing here along the lines of reasoning which you appear to be trying to take it, in that post.

In the event of brain damage that changes an element of a person's brain build in such a way as to cause personality change, we would often hear expressions of the like of 'he's just not the same person anymore.' The reality of the circumstances is that that brain build/state has changed compared to what had been its normality, but other organs remain basically the same--the face, the skeletal structure and muscle structure do not change (although if the defect causes loss of muscle activity, the affected muscles will atropy over time)--and in this sense, and in the biological entity sense, the person is the same person.

What has been come to be more securely reasoned through the aggregate of careful study (which is experience where the 'objective' meets 'subjective') is that a single, individual brain, is just that. If removal of a brain structure causes explicit and most implicit memory to fail from that point onward (past memories up to that point in tact), then that brain will never ever be able to build memory. If that structure were to be removed at birth (simply to offer an avenue of a more concrete conceptualizing of the situation) that brain would never ever record memory either--thus to that extent that person, as they grew up otherwise, would always be an infant. (consider what conclusions can be reached)

To make a long explanation shorter, it is a fact that because of brain build/state we smell, taste, hear, see, feel, cognate, have emotion, volition, self-identity and possession, and have recall. As brain degenerates, these too degenerate in varying order and degrees. As brain decays, these too decay. It follows more logically, then, that with the total decomposition of brain, the total decomposition of these as a composite of that individual brain will have occurred. This is what is gleaned from the empirical knowledge demonstrated though scientific method, and in this sense, then, science cannot only not agree that there is life after death, but can show that such is most likely not the case.

If we were to throw away the 'old world' concept of 'a soul,' on the other hand, and say that by having arrived from earth (uncountable collective noun), and pointing out that what it is that makes us, goes back to earth to possibly work towards other earth-based entities, then we can say that there is life after death in that that which is us participates in. In this sense, we could say that science agrees with the concept of there being life after death--many, many, MANY living entities have died on this planet over the past several hundred million years . . . with extremely little new material coming in from outerspace, and extremely little material leaving from the gaia system . . . it's all here still.
These are old arguments and I will probably reply with the same old arguments. Imagine a journey on a train, you have never been on this particular journey and it is all very new to you. It has many interesting passengers and you admire the views that pass your window. One poor fellow falls ill and he experiences a lot less than you, another bangs his head and completely forgets the journey. Now did you ,they, travel on that train ? did the guy with a sore head change because he failed to experience that journey.

Do you understand the differences in our concept of living and occupying a human body and experiencing life or lives. Imagine a body with all the functions it has to live and you wish to experience that life, how could you experience this life, if it was fool proof and bullet proof. It would become a pc game not reality.

---------- Post added 09-21-2009 at 05:03 AM ----------

Krumple;92307 wrote:
Yeah but my whole point is, what if i don't want to go to the island? So can there be a death in the after life? It pokes holes in the whole concept. If there is a death in the after life then what is the after life? A pseudo life? A place where you can kill yourself if you want? Or are you a permanent resident? You are stuck in the after life for ever?
So I say to you invent an after life that fits your needs, say its possible to say i want oblivion, but i doubt you will when its offered. What or how does that exclude the possibility.

You are assuming someones in control that you can moan to about your dissatisfaction, maybe there is no great controller. If you don't find god there, will it be a surprise to you ?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:09:34