Two meanings of cause

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:25 pm
I attended a Phil 101 class of a friend to see what his teacher was all about. I brought my Lectures on the Foundations of Mathematics (which had arrived in the mail that day) in case I got bored. He stared down my book and asked if it were Wittgenstein, to which I affirmed. He then said, What are you doing in an intro class if you are reading Wittgenstein?

Anyhoo, he decided to make some remarks on Wittgenstein and try a little bit of Wittgenstein philosophy- maybe to impress me since I did come to see his teaching abilities.

And he hit upon something found in the Lectures on Philosophy: namely the different responses that satisfy the question of CAUSE.

Wittgenstein's Lectures on Philosophy

His explanation failed the one I had offered my friend but a few days before, so I hope it is suitable to you.

Namely, when someone asks why it is raining (and thereby seeking a CAUSE) there are two different ways of answering. One way answers by giving some scientific hypothesis on precipitation. The other could simply respond with a description of the sky, or stating that it is springtime (and thus imply that springtime is the time for showers), etc.

From the end of item 4 in that lecture:
We are talking here of the grammar of the words "reason" and "cause": in what cases do we say we have given a reason for doing a certain thing, and in what cases, a cause? If one answers the question "Why did you move your arm?" by giving a behaviouristic explanation, one has specified a cause. Causes may be discovered by experiments, but experiments do not produce reasons. The word "reason" is not used in connection with experimentation. It is senseless to say a reason is found by experiment. The alternative, "mathematical argument or experiential evidence?" corresponds to "reason or cause?"

mathematical argument is what I wish to highlight. There seems to be much to say about this, and I wonder how it relates to Wittgenstein's proposition in the TLP that all the propositions of mathematics are tautological.

I remember that it infuriated my father when, as a young child, I answered questions as such- saying things like I am watching television because it is on, or (to use W again) that I have come to the classroom because there is a lecture.

One asnwer is open for dispute, the other, not so much. Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,003 • Replies: 1
No top replies

MMP2506

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:49 pm
@jack phil,
For Aristotle, every thing had four causes; Efficient, Formal, Material, and Final. All of these must be determined before the essence of a thing could be understood. Reason was the sum of all these causes, thus the understanding of its essence.

Today, science only uses efficient causation when talking about a things cause. Therefore it's essence is reduced to being produced by only one cause, which is why it is so difficult for modern scientists to find "causal relationships", as they fail to consider the other three Aristotelian causes. The result is that reason and cause are now used interchangeably for what Aristotle considered the efficient cause.
0 Replies